• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Rocks - Sending email - Question regarding legal liability

203 posts in this topic

Jop, why would you even get involved and create the website? You've been here 7 months and have no skin the game as far as I know.

If anyone should have been involved it would be DT or someone who's been here a while.

(shrug)

The only thing I might change would be making the site sound like it isn't RR himself. Instead of "I am known as many names...", I would change it to "He is known by many names..."

-slym

that was my lone thought as well.

the website sounds like it is his site, so could there be some "misrepresentation" blah blah? Maybe.

I'd change it so it is obvious that the text is not his words, and the site is not his site. (even a disclaimer).

even then its moot, cause Im sure he's grabbed screen shots of this current iteration of the site.

But other than that there's not much to it...

The only thing I might change would be making the site sound like it isn't RR himself. Instead of "I am known as many names...", I would change it to "He is known by many names..."

-slym

And also put that in the opinion of many in the comic collecting community, he is a scumbag and scammer. :D

Like numb, err, red rocks is going to do anything about it. lol

Joe's on the sue list too! :fear:

meh

lol

My lawyer is better than his. lol

I want to get sued too! My mommy in law hasn't lost a case yet.How much law can you afford,mines free. lol

-slym

that was my lone thought as well.

the website sounds like it is his site, so could there be some "misrepresentation" blah blah? Maybe.

I'd change it so it is obvious that the text is not his words, and the site is not his site. (even a disclaimer).

even then its moot, cause Im sure he's grabbed screen shots of this current iteration of the site.

But other than that there's not much to it...

Agree.

And wasn't he in Oregon? I tried looking up the laws in Oregon regarding misrepresentation. Was he in Cali?

That went way too far. Yes he cheated people, but he didn't warrant that. He did deserve it though.

4vpxx.jpg

The problem is that you created a website thats purpose can be construed in two different ways.

As a follow up, being 'nice to each other' in real life and on the internet is a hot button issue within our schools for kids and workplaces for adults. The courts seem to continue to test the issue. Ask yourself, "At the end of the day, do I want to be a test case for a transaction that I had no personal stake in?"

1 - On your end you wish to "inform" the public on a transaction(s) that you were not personally a part of. That means that you have no experience in dealing with this individual. Even if that is found acceptable in whatever court he brings that to, he can easily counter with the following.

2 - You say you are informing. Instead you have taken the actions of a private individual and by using his picture and his name, you are specifically targeting Ron Theda the individual. While defamation and libel would be hard to prove as was stated it usually requires proof on intent, a case could be made that the site is designed to be harassing in nature.

This is where we go from there:

Oregon cyber-bullying / harassment laws clearly demonstrate the ability to tackle harassment that is generated from an out of state party. This is to protect the protect the people of Oregon. By your site ask yourself if any argument can be articulated to claim that you have done any of the following. If so, then maybe you should take the website down.

Also, read this, it is old but demonstrates where things were headed: http://personal.psu.edu/bjr5048/uspolicies.htm

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/cyberstalking-and-cyberharassment-laws.aspx

166.065. Harassment

(1) A person commits the crime of harassment if the person intentionally:

(a) Harasses or annoys another person by:

(A) Subjecting such other person to offensive physical contact; or

(B) Publicly insulting such other person by abusive words or gestures in a manner

intended and likely to provoke a violent response;

(b) Subjects another to alarm by conveying a false report, known by the conveyor to be

false, concerning death or serious physical injury to a person, which report reasonably

would be expected to cause alarm; or

© Subjects another to alarm by conveying a telephonic, electronic or written threat to

inflict serious physical injury on that person or to commit a felony involving the person or

property of that person or any member of that person's family, which threat reasonably

would be expected to cause alarm.

(2)(a) A person is criminally liable for harassment if the person knowingly permits any

telephone or electronic device under the person's control to be used in violation of

subsection (1) of this section.

(b) Harassment that is committed under the circumstances described in subsection (1)©

of this section is committed in either the county in which the communication originated or

the county in which the communication was received.

(3) Harassment is a Class B misdemeanor.

So...

Ron Theda aka RedRocks is going to sue me. Or so him and a couple of his friends

for http://rontheda.com/

My question is what do I have that is illegal? A public picture, a comic investor, nothing about how he is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

The link goes to CGC page nothing direct.

Trying to see how I am sueable in this situation

I'm not sure where you stand in a legal sense, but perhaps you should have considered asking these questions before creating the site?

I don't think he has solid ground, but you just never know in a modern court of law. Rules are changing fast in response to the way the Internet has changed our society.

Someone brought this up before and it makes sense... in order to sue you, he needs to know who you are, right?

Is he going to file a lawsuit against "jop" or did you enter in your information when you created that page? ???