• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear from Bob Beerbohm lately?

784 posts in this topic

warning: you are now entering a serious-post zone.

like the rest of you, i've been mystified by mitch's fervent desire for leniency for bob here---"no, no; no probation/hos for bob! he just needs understanding."

i now have come to realize it probably is a by-product of his law practice; seriously. i'd wager mitch has represented dozens, if not hundreds, of people clawing and scratching to avoid suspension of their licenses, or "double secret probation" as he snidely termed it. repeat offender dwi clients---they deserve another chance, not the taking away of their driving privileges....

if you do it all the time in your paying business, it's easy to see it being carried over to "real life."

That may be true, I really can't read Mitch well, I always get the feeling he's not as bad as he posts...misogynist or not.

I was just impressed that he quoted "Animal House"...

But that's just it Mitch. Why the FAKK do Matthew and Jim have to be Bobs babysitter or bank? Because that's the position they find themselves in. The probation list and HOS are for people who do not honor deals. Bob has not honoured his deals. And no 4000 word post from Bob or three hour phone call with you changes that. He needs to follow thru on his deals, period, because its disrespectful for Bob to presume that he can use off eBay buyers as his banks and babysitters.

1-I agree 100% he should follow thru.

2- the 4K word post and 3 hour phone was to help a person I have know for 41 years plus create a way out........and create a better attitude....and get Matt and everybody else the items that they paid for.

3-If you knew all of the facts, you opinion might not be so harsh

1 ok

2 the 4k word post was a reference to Bobs old posts, not yours. I know you are only trying to help a friend and I respect you for it.

3 Maybe you are right but jeez with no communication to his buyers, no refund, no follow thru, six months..... this is past the point of excuses no? He needs to do something. Send them a refund, send them other books of value, pick up the phone, hell even tell people what these pressing problems that only effect his OFF eBay sales are, communicate , get help, something.

I know you mean well but his behaviour appears to be inexcusable at least on the surface

Judging by his wikipedia page he wrote himself, Bob's been in a lot of lawsuits lately, and has been losing them all. Wonder if it's a several decades old client... er... friend that defends him where no where noone else would that's been giving him legal advice with them...

And part of your solution Mmheady was trying to convince me to offer Bob a COD option or pay more for shipping. You wouldn't just let the bone go no matter how many times I said no. He makes at least what he needs to pay for shipping my books via ebay every two days. More money down the money hole isn't in any way a better solution. Have him get a quick loan using his car as collateral if he doesn't have the money to pay for shipping or refund me. I'm sure he would pay them back when the bill came due. He got himself in the hole on purpose. I have no sympathy for a man that ignores me for two months after he's taken money from me and failed to complete a deal half a month later.

Thanks sky. I've pmed you for more info. I appreciate the advice. Anyone else who's willing to call or message Bob as you find convenient and think it appropriate, I appreciate it.

-M

I understand how mad can be, also I understand you are 100% NOT at fault.

My suggestion was to get Bob going on this transaction, also my concern was that the shipping costs might be a issue. You are 100% right not to pay a dime.

I want to thank Mitch for pursuing this for the community, and I want to thank Sharon for remembering me in this situation as well as for just being a wonderful caring person.

My situation is not as bad as Matt's, and I have not really piushed for a resolution until the last few months.

I will give Bob a chance to make this right with me. In the process I may increase my order to further help Bob out. That was my intention in responding to him in the first place But the 2nd payment will not be until after he delivers.

The first step for Bob is communicate with me.

I will update the thread if there is progress

he is taking meds to combat this condition

If this is true then I must issue an apology about any aspersions I cast earlier, and also laud Mitch for making the effort to resolve the problem.

"If this is true" - there's the rub, Goldie.

MrBedrock said it best (and I paraphrase) not to believe anything that comes out of BLB's mouth.

With me some time ago, here are his excuses communicated to me:

-stock mix-up

-mental problems

-warehouse was 106 degrees

-his hip was bothering him

-he had a hernia surgery that went bad

-occasional dementia

-a relative was sick

When the sheet really hit the fan, he miraculously became lucid beyond belief and managed to convince ebay not to suspend his account even after their investigator told me that they were.

He is a pro's pro... it just never ends with him.

Interesting thread, but unfortunately, not new to me. From my one and only experience, this is the way he operates.

About a year after CGC came into existence, he advertised (in CBG) NM+ Silver Age Marvels. They were priced a bit over guide, but his gave a detailed description. I called him (and he answered!) and reserved most of the books, as a couple had already sold. He talked to me at length about his experience in the hobby, how great this new collection was, that CGC had nothing on these books, etc. I was mesmerized.

I sent him a money order, so as to speed up the shipping. He told me he would get my package ready and the books would ship right after he received my payment. Six weeks go by and nothing. So I call him and tells me he has been sick, blah blah blah. Then he tells me he is hiring extra help, as he has been swamped with orders. He promises to send out the books that day.

Well, six more weeks pass and nothing. I'm at my wits end. Do I call him again or do I go to CBG or do I go to the postal authorities. Luckily, the package arrives a day later. Half the order is not filled, but he does give me check for the missing books. I check the books that are sent, and all but one are grossly over graded. Best one in the lot is VF, and I paid over top guide for all of them!

I swallow it, and file it under lessons learned. Those lessons are:

1. He is a liar

2. He is crook

3. He gross over grader

4. Never buy from him

He is on my personal Hall of Shame list. Those of you who say he is a great guy and needs help should give him your money and business. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Just my two cents. Well, actually, more like a few hundred dollars.

If this is true then I must issue an apology about any aspersions I cast earlier, and also laud Mitch for making the effort to resolve the problem.

MrBedrock said it best (and I paraphrase) not to believe anything that comes out of BLB's mouth.

-stock mix-up

-mental problems

-occasional dementia

-a relative was sick

When the sheet really hit the fan, he miraculously became lucid beyond belief and managed to convince ebay not to suspend his account even after their investigator told me that they were.

Interesting thread, but unfortunately, not new to me. From my one and only experience, this is the way he operates.

About a year after CGC came into existence, he advertised (in CBG) NM+ Silver Age Marvels. They were priced a bit over guide, but his gave a detailed description. I called him (and he answered!) and reserved most of the books, as a couple had already sold. He talked to me at length about his experience in the hobby, how great this new collection was, that CGC had nothing on these books, etc. I was mesmerized.

I sent him a money order, so as to speed up the shipping. He told me he would get my package ready and the books would ship right after he received my payment. Six weeks go by and nothing. So I call him and tells me he has been sick, blah blah blah. Then he tells me he is hiring extra help, as he has been swamped with orders. He promises to send out the books that day.

Well, six more weeks pass and nothing. I'm at my wits end. Do I call him again or do I go to CBG or do I go to the postal authorities. Luckily, the package arrives a day later. Half the order is not filled, but he does give me check for the missing books. I check the books that are sent, and all but one are grossly over graded. Best one in the lot is VF, and I paid over top guide for all of them!

1. He is a liar

2. He is crook

3. He gross over grader

4. Never buy from him

He is on my personal Hall of Shame list. Those of you who say he is a great guy and needs help should give him your money and business. Leave the rest of us out of it.

It's a pattern we've seen many times. Asking board members to come to his aid by buying books on ebay - I've seen 3 such pleas here. Some type of personal crisis used to explain why the books are late. Some type of mistake in the order - can't find a book, books missing in the shipped order, failure to ship entirely, grading errors. Folksy conversation with emphasis on his contributions to the hobby in order to get our sympathy and buy time and make it impossible for us to get a paypal refund or leave negative feedback. And finally, I think Bob does deal with the most vocal of his complaints when the complainer refuses to give up.

I'm sure I'd love to sit down with Bob and chat about the hobby. He's no doubt a very interesting and engaging person. All of the personality, history, personality, contributions to the hobby don't excuse his behaviour.

And why does Bob near a month to address this one issue? If he can beg for more orders from his ebay account and ship them he can certainly dig up some of the pulps owed to the OP and ship them. Something to show good faith and prove he's trying. And why isn't he here defending or apologizing? If he's willing to ask for our help he should certainly be here when he fails to deliver. He's been dodging the OP's phone calls and emails and he's dodging us right now.

In a perfect world, this would never happen, I just hope Bob can dig himself out of it. Again,from Bob he is requesting that you visit his ebay store….and buy one book to help him…….this is call to action for all board members...

one picture.....a thousand words

I cannot believe that some people on this board would resort to such an outrageous

insult, not only to our current hardworking President of the United States , BUT also Bob Beerbong himself;

How dare you….

I only think I asked from the "generous "board members here was…."to buy a comic book for Bob"

Folks, this is not a crime, but a rescue of a fellow or former fellow board member adrift at sea…..we need to throw out the "life preserver" to save a 47 year comic book collector, dealer,and historian. It is a very little price to pay……

I suggested E-Bay because Bob has time shipping requirements……

Let us think….about the bigger picture here……

Are we men or are we mice?????

Or are we suckers?

Just read through a few pages of this incident and I cannot imagine anyone buying anything off of Bob after this. I don't know the Op or Bob, but this is really messed up that you are asking for people to send Bob money.

Is it really that difficult for him to refund the money?

If, as requested, we all go and buy some books from his website will they be shipped out ASAP?

Would any of this protracted restitution, facilitated by the King of Comics, have happened if there hadn't been a mention of the whole sorry affair on these boards?

-stock mix-up

-mental problems

-occasional dementia

-a relative was sick

1. He is a liar

2. He is crook

3. He gross over grader

4. Never buy from him

On the bright side, at least the books involved weren't Bakers! :D

Seriously, that's the kind of aggravating transaction that makes you want to pull your hair out. I'm starting to think that Michael and others are right that by continuing to buy books from him, I would be enabling what seems to be a long pattern of bad behavior. (I should say again that in many years of (sporadic) dealing with him, I've never had more than minor problems.)

Hate to come to this conclusion because I have always thought of him as one of the stalwarts of the hobby. :(

I will give Bob a chance to make this right with me. In the process I may increase my order to further help Bob out.
In my opinion, that is a terrible idea. It's been hinted at and even suggested that people buy from Bob to help him out of this jam of not shipping things bought by people who bought things from Bob trying to help him out of a jam. It's the circle of life.

Hate to come to this conclusion because I have always thought of him as one of the stalwarts of the hobby. :(

He's managed to fool so many people (it's all part of the scam), the pot has thus been simmering for a very long time.

It was inevitable that things would eventually boil over once the heat finally got turned up.

He's managed to fool so many people (it's all part of the scam), the pot has thus been simmering for a very long time.

It was inevitable that things would eventually boil over once the heat finally got turned up.

"A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of products or services to the public."

The chance of the OP getting his stuff by Christmas (that's a month) is zero. If you purchase from Bob, you're playing into the above.

I've posted on the probation thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3267425&fpart=1922

I'd like to request that anyone willing to give any evidence of their own "difficult" transactions with the man in the past go to that thread and write about them. I'd like to put some more pressure on him to actually follow through with the current transaction he has with me and Jim, and prevent him from doing this to anyone else. I have no faith he'll complete the deal in another month either. Any support on that thread towards his being included in the probation or hall of shame lists would be very appreciated.

Thanks. - M

-stock mix-up

-mental problems

-occasional dementia

-a relative was sick

1. He is a liar

2. He is crook

3. He gross over grader

4. Never buy from him

On the bright side, at least the books involved weren't Bakers! :D

Seriously, that's the kind of aggravating transaction that makes you want to pull your hair out. I'm starting to think that Michael and others are right that by continuing to buy books from him, I would be enabling what seems to be a long pattern of bad behavior. (I should say again that in many years of (sporadic) dealing with him, I've never had more than minor problems.)

you almost had it----stallwart.

...,and he requests that you look in his ebay store and buy a book or two to help him out and to get him back where he should be…researching comic book history and help his kids.

this is an amazing all new level... having the offender use the thread that is skewering him to try and generate some sales...

"hey guys, if you liked how I handled THIS transaction, jump over to my ebay story and buy some books to help out and you can have your own Bob Beerbohm experience!"

:facepalm:

...,and he requests that you look in his ebay store and buy a book or two to help him out and to get him back where he should be…researching comic book history and help his kids.

this is an amazing all new level... having the offender use the thread that is skewering him to try and generate some sales...

"hey guys, if you liked how I handled THIS transaction, jump over to my ebay story and buy some books to help out and you can have your own Bob Beerbohm experience!"

:facepalm:

It's the circle of Bob.

Mitch,

Search is your friend. Bob might have been the "go to" dealer 25 years ago but he has caused a s--t storm here and also on eBay.

Bob was co owner of comics and comics, and held a table at SDCC for something like 20 years straight before the "incident" which took place at SDCC.

I have never had a problem with bob, and bought and sold books from him since day 1.....I sold him BLB's at the SDCC con about 3 or 4 years ago.

It just is hard to believe this ' one poster" story....$3600 for 341 pulps??? just does not make sense and anybody can come on and used a assumed name and just trash somebody........I for one would like to see written proof of some transaction....

This I believe is what's known as "backing the wrong horse."

Complete Beerbohmian move; sit at home hiding while dictating to Mitch what to tell his "once-adoring" masses (his fantasy, not mine). Aside from screwing buyers he is making more of a bi7ch of himself by making Mitch do all the intermediary stuff, and taking much of the brunt himself. He's akin to the alcoholic that will beg his wife to call in to work to say he is out sick while hiding under the covers.

And while NOT doing anything about Matt's pulps, since he feels safe with his new 30 day safety net, he is probably lurking, reading everything, and yelling at the computer in pirate-speak about how unappreciative we our to the one who has tutored us all in the history of comics. How about just refunding Matt's money instead of dragging this out seeing as Matt made that order primarily as a goodwill gesture to helping Bob out in one of his "I fell in the well again" ploys.

I would be so ashamed by now that I'd rather flip burgers than make an appearance in comics ever again. But that's what psychopathy is good for.