• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Golden Age Superman #33 U.S. Navy Special Edition

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'm new here but have been reading from the board for years...

I have a pretty rare Superman 33 U.S. Navy Special Edition. These were given away to soldiers during ww2... and not many of these comics came back to American soil!

Anyways, I'd appreciate if if you could take a look at it and tell me what you think the grade would be?

Please note:

1. The cover is detached at the bottom staple, and barely holding from the top one.

2. The back cover is ripped from the bottom to about 2/3 up, so about 6.5 inches... but nothing is missing... (I hope you can see how from the pic)

Thanks a lot :)

Front:

Superman-33-Special-front_zps7cea1843.jpg

Back:

Superman-33-Special-back_zpseec56666.jpg

Cool book. Due to the spine appearing to be split with pieces out about half way up from the bottom and a 1" split at the top, the sizable chip out of the top, the large tear in the BC and the tape pull at Superman's feet I'm going to have to say 1.5

If the cover is barely holding (and just at one staple), I would not grade it as a GD, maybe a GD- or a FRGD, but I am unsure about how CGC would treat an almost detached cover.

The bits out do not worry me too much. If the cover was well attached they affect less the grade. :)

Thanks for your input! And thanks for the warm welcome :)

I did think it would be somewhere between 1.0 and 3.0... but wasn't sure..

This book is very cool indeed! I showed it to 2 different experienced comic book dealer and they had never seen one before.

There were 6 U.S Navy special edition during ww2: Action #80, Action #81, Superman #33, Detective #97, Superman #34 and Action #84.

The dialogue is actually different in these versions than in the normal prints. They're much simpler and faster to read... Also, there's a quiz about the story every 9 or 10 pages to see if the book was read.

One was sold last year from the Mark Waid collection... Here's a youtube clip of him talking about this particular superman:

I'll try to take pics of the inside quizzes and post them here to show you guys :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for your input! And thanks for the warm welcome :)

I did think it would be somewhere between 1.0 and 3.0... but wasn't sure..

This book is very cool indeed! I showed it to 2 different experienced comic book dealer and they had never seen one before.

There were 6 U.S Navy special edition during ww2: Action #80, Action #81, Superman #33, Detective #97, Superman #34 and Action #84.

The dialogue is actually different in these versions than in the normal prints. They're much simpler and faster to read... Also, there's a quiz about the story every 9 or 10 pages to see if the book was read.

One was sold last year from the Mark Waid collection... Here's a youtube clip of him talking about this particular superman:

I'll try to take pics of the inside quizzes and post them here to show you guys :)

Thanks again!

Looks like they were designed to teach illiterate or at least functionally illiterate draftees to read.