• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are COOLING OFF on ebay!

420 posts in this topic

New X-Men #128

New X-Men #129

Sales are kind of wonky, and all over the place, but it generally looks like the price has come down, from about $40 or so for #128 to $25 or so.

PS. Fantomex is amazing.

Are there any recent moderns in 2013 that have gained readership? For books that are cooling off , will readership increase once subsequent trades release? If so it is safe to say these books have peaked and will remain stagnant or decline further unless it is attached to a movie or tv deal? ??? I think this will be the case for a lot of these modern books image is pumping out.

I think the trend for all comic books is always down. #1s are always higher than normal, the question is usually whether it can level off, and how long it can hold its level. This is why the big 2 relaunch so often, to exploit the bump.

For that reason, to have a meaningful graph, you would have to start it at 2, maybe even 3.

#1s are always higher than normal, the question is usually whether it can level off, and how long it can hold its level. This is why the big 2 relaunch so often, to exploit the bump.

And boy is that #1 release being exploited right now in 2013 every time something new or relaunched comes out.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I think the trend for all comic books is always down.

It's not just limited to comics. Usually when a new (movie, album, electronic item, hot toy, etc) enters the market the first few weeks are the strongest and it begins to plateau and fall off.

That's not really comparable though. A comic is an onqoing story, where each issue is a unique item, whereas buying a movie/toy/album, etc. is a finite purchase. Once someone has it, they don't need to buy it again, or buy it next month.

You would have to compare it to TV viewership, or sales of each album from a band over time.

hahah a thread dedicated to crapping on books. this is way more fun than the HEATING UP thread.

if people actually post sales data and not just opinions, then i dont see that it can be viewed as crapping

more like TRUTHING

and considering the amount of pump and dump pimping has gone on on these boards in 2013, I think its long overdue. Heck, if this board can talk books up to flip, maybe it can talk books down and people can start getting some sweet deals :)

Although you have to consider those who are selling.

For example. People will tell you that UBER is a horrid book for prospecting because of the number of variants and will post some pretty abismal numbers regarding their sales. But personally I have made plenty on this book in the form of 9.8 Slabs.

Sometimes you have to consider people who get nervous and sell too low. Those are can hold longer and keep their prices at higher levels do eventually sell.

For the record, story wise, Uber is pretty amazIng. Very well done.

why someone would slab a blank? on drug? and someone brought it.

Future sig series op as they know it graded out at 9.8 once by standards it should again unless the artist damages the book. Or they are a registry fiend that doesn't like sigs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardians-Of-the-Galaxy-1-25-Complete-2008-Run-Set-Lot-Current-1-7-1st-Print-/261349302831?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cd9a1e22f#ht_439wt_1363

The seller has adjusted the price 6 times it looks like under revisions even though some of them were changed close together, so it might have been an error. Started at $275 for #1-#25, but now at $180 with the new GotG #1-#7 added.

Forget about increasing print runs. That is rare and unlikely to happen for most.

To me, it will already be an amazing feat if a title can keeps its print run reduction to not more than 20%. Top of my mind, only a selected few like Todd, MP, PP can keep their runs above the -20% mark.

Even forum favorites such as EoW, Five Ghosts, Revival, Lazarus have dropped more than 20% relative to issue one.

As I said before, you have to gauge that -20% vs issue #2 or #3. That shows a readership loss or gain that is closer to reality.

Annihilation Conquest #6

I would mention this comic first in a Moderns that were HEATING UP then COOLED DOWN but will be HEATING UP again thread.

Just name that thread "Moderns that are in a Sophmore Slump on eBay".

hahah a thread dedicated to crapping on books. this is way more fun than the HEATING UP thread.

if people actually post sales data and not just opinions, then i dont see that it can be viewed as crapping

more like TRUTHING

and considering the amount of pump and dump pimping has gone on on these boards in 2013, I think its long overdue. Heck, if this board can talk books up to flip, maybe it can talk books down and people can start getting some sweet deals :)

Although you have to consider those who are selling.

For example. People will tell you that UBER is a horrid book for prospecting because of the number of variants and will post some pretty abismal numbers regarding their sales. But personally I have made plenty on this book in the form of 9.8 Slabs.

Sometimes you have to consider people who get nervous and sell too low. Those are can hold longer and keep their prices at higher levels do eventually sell.

I've seen you post similar sentiments before. I'm curious what you look to to support this view. My experience has been much different. I haven't seen many modern titles that made it worth it to stock up for the marathon. I recently picked up a collection with stacks of Lady Pendragon and Chassis variants that were hot at some point, I'm thinking any marathon returns on those will be beyond my lifetime, is there something different about the current books? How long is the marathon?

I give up the You tube video should display below lol.

Hahaha. Sounds like me trying to post a picture on here. Had to create an account on SOME ??? picture site just to post mine.

Why have they cooled so much, and do you think they will rise?

I have a 9.8 Ross/Wood SS #1 Sketch, and am trying to decide when the best time to sell would be.

Maybe when the next movie comes out???

Everything was driven to high by speculation this year, and the whole modern market is down from the speculative highs.

There are a LOT of Star Wars books that exist, and almost all of them are not worth anything. The arguments in favor of this series having long term value would be that it is the first one since the Marvel series that actually fits into the movie world and is done in the style and feel of the marvel series. Then add to that the fact that its print run is nearly 1/1000th of the Marvel series.

It should be price bound by that which it is compared to (as was mentioned), but the books price is likely to stay fairly stable imo from here on out. Episode 7 might give you a bump in price, but I think what you really would want to do, is only list your book when there are NO OTHER copies for sale on ebay.

As long as people are trying to dump theres, wait to sell yours.

Thanks for the tips. :grin: (thumbs u

DC 52 NUMBER ONE`s other then Batman.

Talk about a hyped line that has cooled off.

Bring back Detective Comics and Action Comics back to their original numbering. The NEW DC 52 didn`t set the world on fire long-term as most now sit in 50 cent bins.

:)

please forward all Detective #1-5, Nightwing #1-5 and Suicide Squad #1-7 you find in the 50 ct bins. i'll give you 75 cts each, better return than a bank.

OK I will give you Detective,Nightwing,and Suicide Squad to go along with Batman. (thumbs u

What about the other 48 titles of the new improved cutting edge 52?

Those other 48 titles for the most part,except for a hot issue here or there are now found in the .50 cent bins collecting mold and dust waiting to be recycled in the future.

I mean if they batted 50 percent which is having 26 titles of the 52 be successful then we are talking something good that the new DC 52 is, but to have over 40 titles out of 52 stink is an ultimate failure.

Also Batman,Nightwing and Detective were DC`s best sellers before the new DC 52.

The new DC 52 was suppose to bring in new readers, instead all it did was bring in speculators.

There are plenty of New 52 #1s that are still selling for well above cover for me at shows. Animal Man #1 1st is $8-$10, my Aquamans all sold at $15, as well as Justce League (Johns/Lee) #1 (I got as high as $20 for a copy). Batgirl, Batman & Robin, Batman TDK, Flash, Justice League Dark and Wonder Woman go for as high as $15 locally at shows, with most of the others selling in the $6 - $12 range. There are definitely some duds (e.g. Frankenstein, Blue Beetle, Legion) but overall the books still sell well when I put them on the table.

DC 52 NUMBER ONE`s other then Batman.

Talk about a hyped line that has cooled off.

Bring back Detective Comics and Action Comics back to their original numbering. The NEW DC 52 didn`t set the world on fire long-term as most now sit in 50 cent bins.

:)

please forward all Detective #1-5, Nightwing #1-5 and Suicide Squad #1-7 you find in the 50 ct bins. i'll give you 75 cts each, better return than a bank.

OK I will give you Detective,Nightwing,and Suicide Squad to go along with Batman. (thumbs u

What about the other 48 titles of the new improved cutting edge 52?

Those other 48 titles for the most part,except for a hot issue here or there are now found in the .50 cent bins collecting mold and dust waiting to be recycled in the future.

I mean if they batted 50 percent which is having 26 titles of the 52 be successful then we are talking something good that the new DC 52 is, but to have over 40 titles out of 52 stink is an ultimate failure.

Also Batman,Nightwing and Detective were DC`s best sellers before the new DC 52.

The new DC 52 was suppose to bring in new readers, instead all it did was bring in speculators.

There are plenty of New 52 #1s that are still selling for well above cover for me at shows. Animal Man #1 1st is $8-$10, my Aquamans all sold at $15, as well as Justce League (Johns/Lee) #1 (I got as high as $20 for a copy). Batgirl, Batman & Robin, Batman TDK, Flash, Justice League Dark and Wonder Woman go for as high as $15 locally at shows, with most of the others selling in the $6 - $12 range. There are definitely some duds (e.g. Frankenstein, Blue Beetle, Legion) but overall the books still sell well when I put them on the table.

It is the winter/Christmas lull. Nearly everything is cheap right now in moderns.

An example. New 52 Batman lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161164849444?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It is the winter/Christmas lull. Nearly everything is cheap right now in moderns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161164849444?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Wow! If they are all 1st prints (can't tell from the group shot) then that is a huge steal.

If you landed it, congrats! :applause:

Looks like it is time to shop on eBay for pre-Christmas deals.

Wow! If they are all 1st prints (can't tell from the group shot) then that is a huge steal.

If you landed it, congrats! :applause:

Looks like it is time to shop on eBay for pre-Christmas deals.

Thanks. I've been keeping my eyes wide open. Lots of of deals all over the place.

Yes this next month will be great for buying.

Have to say I have noticed A LOT of "deals" on moderns the past couple of weeks as well. People must be scrambling trying to raise money for presents or something. I've been able to pick up a few hot missing ASMs and variants for my collection on the cheap. Feel like a kid in a candy store. :cloud9:

-J.