• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

lol

I think I keep having these dreams because I really want this movie to be one of the best X-Men films ever made. I mean, it has both of my favorite X-Men characters (Nightcrawler and Beast). :whee:

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE's Bryan Singer Teases A Return To Weapon X And Possible Future Movie Villain

Singer tells Empire Magazine that the Weapon X program, the organization that gave Wolverine his adamantium bones, will be returning in X-Men: Apocalypse. As for Wolverine himself, Singer says that, as a “central character, he didn’t fit into this particular story.”

So Wolverine won’t be a “central character,” but Singer doesn't say that Wolverine isn’t in the movie at all. Fans may remember that the end of X-Men: Days of Future Past had Wolverine in the clutches of Weapon X, though Mystique had replaced the organization’s leader, William Stryker. We already knew that the actor who plays Stryker, Josh Helman, is returning for X-Men: Apocalypse, but whether he’s actually playing Stryker, or just Mystique pretending to be Stryker, is unknown.

As for the post-Apocalypse future of the X-Men franchise, Singer is on board, but hopes to take a breather before starting the next movie in the series. He says that that leaving the franchise “is not something I think about. But I could not roll into another X-Men movie tomorrow. And I hope not to. I hope to take a break.”

Even so, Singer has a mutant villain in mind for a future feature. “I’d love to use Proteus somehow,” Singer says. “There’s a lot visually you could do with a character like that.”

Box Office Pro is already forecasting Memorial Day weekend results based on social media chatter and recent performance.

Long Range Forecast: 'X-Men: Apocalypse'

PROS:

- 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past helped rebuild the popularity of the X-Men franchise with a four-day opening weekend take of $110.6 million and final domestic gross of $233.9 million. The film was also very well received by moviegoers and critics alike.

- X-Men: Apocalypse has been performing well on Twitter this far out. Recent activity for the film has been 22 percent softer than Twitter activity for Deadpool at the same point in its cycle earlier this year. In addition, X-Men: Apocalypse has been performing significantly stronger than Alice Through the Looking Glass on Twitter.

- While the stand-alone aspect of Deadpool may not transfer into a huge boost for X-Men: Apocalypse, the strong reception to Deadpool could provide a bit of a boost, especially given the strong reception to X-Men: Days of Future Past as well.

- The additions of Apocalypse, Psylocke and Archangel and the re-additions of Cyclops and Jean Grey should help further build anticipation for the film among X-Men fans.

CONS:

- The level of competition X-Men: Apocalypse will face. In addition to opening the same weekend as Alice Through the Looking Glass, the film arrives just three weeks after Disney's highly anticipated Captain America: Civil War and one week before Paramount's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. Given that level of competition, there may only be so much room for improvement over the performance of Days of Future Past.

- Given how well received X-Men: Days of Future Past was by moviegoers and critics it will be tough for X-Men: Apocalypse to match the reception to that film.

FORECAST:

- Opening Weekend: $124,000,000

- Cumulative (*): $260,000,000

* indicates a prediction for a four-day holiday weekend.