• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

Not sure I like so much focus on Jennifer Lawrence. I liked her in the last one, but for some reason she seems to be wearing thin. Coming across a bit hammy and preachy. The X-Men movies have often walked a thin line on the overdramic.

I'm keeping my figures crossed. DoFP was great work, hopefully this will continue.

There is something about her in the role that distracts me. I couldn't put my finger on it with Days of Future Past. And I still can't with the Apocalypse trailers.

When the role was filled by Rebecca Romijn, there was something about her portrayal and voice that made the character come across more -dangerous, fierce and feral.

Jennifer Lawrence, for me, doesn't come across 100% committed to the character. But again, I just can't figure it out why that comes across.

I believe it is the actors used. Jennifer Lawrence seems too "Katniss" to me. I have seen her in other things but those role are usually bland and the character isn't really believeable. So whenever I see her, she mostly comes off as "Katniss" to me.

Rebecca Romjin barely had an acting career before X-Men. And I really don't recall seeing her in anything else. So when she played Mystique, I had no prior characters to compare the actress to. Add that to the fact that she spoke very little in pretty much all three movies, she mostly fought people and jumped around. (Compare to JL who has been the Wolverine-like focal point of all the First Class movies.)

Not the full trailer yet. But someone was able to grab the closing scene of the video.

Surprise!

7356O1Q.jpg

Adamantium is back!

I am thinking they are picking up where DoFP left off...

Not the full trailer yet. But someone was able to grab the closing scene of the video.

Surprise!

7356O1Q.jpg

Adamantium is back!

But he didn't have the adamantium at the end of DoFP - and isn't this movie taking place in the 80s? I think they're going to leave a lot of the story inbetween untold. hm

Surprise!

7356O1Q.jpg

Adamantium is back!

But he didn't have the adamantium at the end of DoFP - and isn't this movie taking place in the 80s? I think they're going to leave a lot of the story inbetween untold. hm

He should have. At the end of DoFP was he not being "rescued" by Striker, which would mean at the very end he still went through the procedure.

And you are correct, this movie should take place decades before the end of DoFP

I don't remember thinking that Wolverine didn't have his adamantium at the end of DoFP. (shrug)

What evidence was there to suggest he didn't have his metal skeleton at the end of the movie?

That really doesn't give you anything one way or another...

However, Striker is still out there and now, more than ever, he has a reason to wage war on mutants and would continue his experiments to that end.

To paraphrase Hank in the movie, some things are immutable. DoFP may have changed the details, but I don't think the movie intended for anyone to infer that Wolverine never got the adamantium graft as a result of the events of the movie.

That really doesn't give you anything one way or another...

However, Striker is still out there and now, more than ever, he has a reason to wage war on mutants and would continue his experiments to that end.

To paraphrase Hank in the movie, some things are immutable. DoFP may have changed the details, but I don't think the movie intended for anyone to infer that Wolverine never got the adamantium graft as a result of the events of the movie.

That's not at all what I meant - I was referring to the end of the movie from the "First Class" perspective. He had the bone claws the whole way through, including when Mystique acquired him at the end. It makes sense to assume that he has the adamantium in the future.

I don't remember thinking that Wolverine didn't have his adamantium at the end of DoFP. (shrug)

What evidence was there to suggest he didn't have his metal skeleton at the end of the movie?

Let me go back and watch it. But it was something to do with the timeline being changed now (X-Men Origins and X-Men Last Stand never happened). I could be wrong.

He doesn't pop his claws when he wakes up at the end of DoFP.

This is correct. They pull him from the bottom of the river, and pull the rebar from his body.

If you check the bedroom scene when he wakes up with that woman, and those guys attack him, Wolverine realizes he has bone claws now.

wolverine-x-men-days-of-future-past-bone-claws.jpg

This is shown in his 'Power Piece' trailer as well.

When Logan attempts to stop Magneto at the White House, you see his bone claws as well right before he has rebar cover his body and he is tossed in the river.

Logan's future-self on the table has Adamantium because it is far after the Weapon X experience.

When Logan attempts to stop Magneto at the White House, you see his bone claws as well right before he has rebar cover his body and he is tossed in the river.

Logan's future-self on the table has Adamantium because it is far after the Weapon X experience.

Yes exactly :)

Let me go back and watch it. But it was something to do with the timeline being changed now (X-Men Origins and X-Men Last Stand never happened). I could be wrong.

This is correct. They pull him from the bottom of the river, and pull the rebar from his body.

I just saw it again on HBO at work. The indication is that he's fished out by the Weapon X people so it makes sense that he'd have his adamantium-laced skeleton in the next movie.

I'll tell you where I went wrong in this conversation...

Talking about the "end" of Days of Future Past, I'm considering the present day, accepting that as the new status quo and knowing that adventures will be new from then on. I remembered the scene where Wolverine got fished out of the bay (by Mystique posing as Stryker, right?), but forgot that takes place AFTER the present day when Professor X asks Logan the last thing he remembers. I thought that scene happened before.

So yes, in the final scene of DoFP, Wolverine does not have his metal skeleton. I never thought it was a question whether or not he'd have it in his next movie appearance. While the events leading to his metal skeleton may have changed with the events of DoFP, I don't think the fact that he was going to get it was ever in question. Despite the fact that the events Origins: Wolverine have been re-written in the timeline, I doubt they'd spend much time in future installments rehashing how Wolverine came upon the Weapon X program. I just figured that any future installment would have him with his shiny claws again without much explanation necessary.

I just saw it again on HBO at work. The indication is that he's fished out by the Weapon X people so it makes sense that he'd have his adamantium-laced skeleton in the next movie.

Although that was Mystique disguised as Stryker.

i3kRj.png

I wonder if that meant she would help his future along some by turning him over to the Weapon X Program?

I think she took over RUNNING the Weapon X program in order to use it for her own ends. The same way she turned the Brotherhood into the Freedom Force & made it part of the government for her own ends. She looks as programs like Weapon X not necessarily as bad by their nature, but more used for bad ends. She intends to infiltrate & use them for her own ends instead. It was kind of the evolution of Mystique from being the assassin into a bit of a shadow operator.

I think she took over RUNNING the Weapon X program in order to use it for her own ends. The same way she turned the Brotherhood into the Freedom Force & made it part of the government for her own ends. She looks as programs like Weapon X not necessarily as bad by their nature, but more used for bad ends. She intends to infiltrate & use them for her own ends instead. It was kind of the evolution of Mystique from being the assassin into a bit of a shadow operator.

I buy this

I buy this

That is so cool! I want to see this.