• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

I liked the movie. Only 2 parts I didn't like:

1) Psylocke - maybe just too hyped up, not sure. Can't put my finger on it but it felt like she was supposed to be a big deal and it didn't really work for me.

2) Didn't love the extremely specific Biblical references used by Apocalypse. Quoting/invoking the Bible to reinforce a "God complex" always feels like it cheapens the characters and is just bad writing - felt out of place in a super hero movie. Made Apocalypse seem like he was possessed by a demon rather than an uber powerful ancient mutant.

Thought the action was great. I'll see it again when it comes out on BluRay.

www.birthmoviesdeath.com

This had me LOLing

"Also blue and giving a toxic performance: Jennifer Lawrence. Mystique has no reason to be in this film (honestly, she has just about nothing to do in the movie) and you can tell Lawrence knows it. She’s sleepwalking through the role, and you can tell that her eyes in any given scene are always pointed at craft services. She knows there’s a cup of tea or a snack waiting for her if she can just power through the next poorly written, incompetently blocked scene. Every now and again there is life in her eyes, and you realize that her phone buzzed in her pocket alerting her that her paycheck has been deposited."

I felt like there were a bunch of different writers. One writer focused on a few characters. another writer was in charge a different set of characters. And so on. It just felt kinda thrown together. (Not like the last FF film). It just wasn't a solid movie. Not a bad movie.

Apocalypse felt a little derpy at times.

162711.jpg.01fafc904591f55591afc273411cab3f.jpg

Edited by Rodey

Come on now. When he assumed his most evil and deadly form, tell me you were not afraid.

S8Q0rQ9.jpg

:baiting:

:gossip: By the way, I like your reviews.

I was really upset at how archangel was done. ..he's supposed to be apocalypse's greatest creation and he came off stupid as hell. What a letdown. Storm was also lame although I thought the actress who played her looked cool. But she and black panther had the same tired fake African accent. The phoenix intro at the end didn't do it for me either. Only liked it a little better than bvs...4 /10

Edited by Mystafo

Huh .... seems to me, the more reviews, the more it seems like it really didn't follow the source material..

So Havok dies.... Does this happen in post 2000 Marvel? Am I missing something. He's still Scott's brother, right? I called BS, rightfully so.

2) Didn't love the extremely specific Biblical references used by Apocalypse. Quoting/invoking the Bible to reinforce a "God complex" always feels like it cheapens the characters and is just bad writing - felt out of place in a super hero movie. Made Apocalypse seem like he was possessed by a demon rather than an uber powerful ancient mutant.

Humanity didn't know what mutation was until Darwin in the mid-19th century, so isn't it likely that Apocalypse DID think he was a god? I didn't see it as a complex, I saw it as objective reality from his perspective. If you're the most powerful being in existence for tens of thousands of years, that sounds like a god to me. While I agree that Apocalypse's character wasn't well-developed, I don't yet agree that he was the victim of bad writing. Quite the contrary, I'm still more intrigued by his origin and what he went through over the ages of time than anything else about the film.

Had to tell you something here. I'm surprised that none of you had said about the fact Stan Lee's wife was in this movie. I believe that is the first time I've seen her appeared in a movie with Stan Lee. I saw credits roll up and both their names did come up.

I'm sure it's not a big deal to you, but a fun fact anyway... (shrug)

Hugh Jackman Killed Bryan Singer In X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

"I have a little cameo, I'm the guy with the machine gun..screaming. When I look at it, I couldn't recognize myself so I knew no one else could. But it was cool to get killed by Wolverine. It's now one of the many things I can put on my resume. When went back later to film the Wolverine segment because Hugh was training for the next Wolverine sequel and we wanted him in a certain kind of shape. At first, Hugh was reticent to do it, but once I explained it to him, what the scene is and why it's there, he agreed to do it over the phone, which is unusual.

Usually there's a bit of negotiation involved, but he said 'You can call my Agent, but I'm in, I love it.'"

Come on now. When he assumed his most evil and deadly form, tell me you were not afraid.

S8Q0rQ9.jpg

HAHA! Awesome! Hmmm, maybe I should make an Apocalypse mask for my bucket?

That would be AWESOME!

A follow-up review of the movie - but in Deadly-Evil Face.

:ohnoez:

S8Q0rQ9.jpg

AND thank you for watching and liking my videos!

Humanity didn't know what mutation was until Darwin in the mid-19th century, so isn't it likely that Apocalypse DID think he was a god? I didn't see it as a complex, I saw it as objective reality from his perspective. If you're the most powerful being in existence for tens of thousands of years, that sounds like a god to me. While I agree that Apocalypse's character wasn't well-developed, I don't yet agree that he was the victim of bad writing. Quite the contrary, I'm still more intrigued by his origin and what he went through over the ages of time than anything else about the film.

Well, in ancient Egypt the rulers were considered the god's.

I saw the movie & it was ok. Certainly better than BvS imo, but not nearly as good as DOFP.

I know it's off topic, but since you brought up Darwin, I can't help myself.

I do believe in evolution, but I certainly don't agree with Darwin's theory of it. Looking at similarities between different species over any given period of time, will never amount to proof of his theory.

My review of the movie...

I liked this better than any of the X-Men movies so far, and better than any of the Superhero movies since GOTG. Certainly better than Civil War..

First off, I was never a huge X-Men fan... never could understand the hullabaloo about the book, and by the mid-90's I was way over even trying. I liked the early 90's cartoon, which opened me up to some of the storylines from the comic, but by the time they got to Age of Apocalypse, which interrupted the one X-book I DID like (Generation X, mainly due to Bachalo), I just gave up.

Regardless, I thought the first movie was kinda cool (though a bit stiff), X2 was really good, X3 entertaining but a mess (I can understand the dislike for it), but then First Class came along and I really enjoyed that,

In particular, it introduced Michael Fassbender as the younger Magneto, and really, without him, this series would've probably run out of gas a long time ago. He is far and away the MVP of these movies and the relationship triangle between him and Charles and Mystique (written in a much bigger part of this cinematic universe), creates a unique core of the whole thing.

It's explored here again and plays a part in how things turn out, but in the end it's Charles understanding and mentoring of a greater power than all three of them that helps save the day. And no, it doesn't bother me that they're touching on that 'too early', as they make these movies every two 1/2 years or so, you only get about 4 movies in a decade and you have to start over again so.... bring on the best you have while you can.

I liked all of it. Thought it was fun and entertaining.

I saw it last night, and unlike CW, I went into it with a lowered bar based on the mixed reviews.

As it turned out, I loved it. I thought Apocalypse was very well portrayed, and represented a very real, world-ending threat. Quicksilver's scenes, as in DOFP, were scene-stealers, and I liked the new characters (Olivia Munn :luhv: ). I liked the call-backs to the first films, and I loved seeing Rose Byrne again. :luhv:

In particular, it introduced Michael Fassbender as the younger Magneto, and really, without him, this series would've probably run out of gas a long time ago. He is far and away the MVP of these movies and the relationship triangle between him and Charles and Mystique (written in a much bigger part of this cinematic universe), creates a unique core of the whole thing.

Fassbender's performances have been the highlight for me -- he's made the Magneto of these films incredibly sympathetic. James McAvoy's Xavier, though, is right there with him, IMO. Their dynamic together has been incredibly powerful.

The X-Men were never a big deal for me, but the movies have given me a greater appreciation for them -- the First Class/DOFP/Apocalypse trilogy easily eclipses the first three films (if for no other reason, due to the terrible X3), and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

X-Men: Bryan Singer Thinks Mystique Should Get a Solo Movie

iIe7Akr.png

Much like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though, 20th Century Fox’s Marvel universe is missing a certain feminine aspect. With a Gambit solo film on the docket, and three Wolverine standalones, is the time right for a Mystique feature?

Producer and director Bryan Singer certainly thinks so. In the latest Empire Spoiler podcast, screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg and Singer, the gurus of FOx’s X-universe, discussed X-Men: Apocalypse and the future of the franchise. Singer further explored the origins of the film and its connection to the comic book world, especially the alternate-reality saga Age of Apocalypse. Singer explained:

“[it’s my] kind of my homage to the Age Of Apocalypse comic – everyone sort of switches roles. Obviously I didn’t tell that full story, but people’s sides are switched, alliances are changed.”

One of the most interesting aspects of Apocalypse, though, was a getting a fresh look at Jennifer Lawrence’s Raven/Mystique. Her renewed role in the film universe, as well as her character’s popularity, could mesh with Singer’s interest in a solo shot:

“I think [Mystique’s] right for [a standalone], whether it’s Jennifer or not. She has this different view of the world: Xavier can get into Cerebro and look at the world but he’d rather just teach classes and see the beauty of mutants and humans co-existing in his mansion in Westchester. Along comes Raven with a reality check on the state of the world. It opens up a lot of avenues.”

There were parts of DoFP where I thought Mystique in an espionage film could be quite entertaining. But I would rather see someone else in the role that can bring the ferocity and beauty at the same time.

I do believe in evolution, but I certainly don't agree with Darwin's theory of it. Looking at similarities between different species over any given period of time, will never amount to proof of his theory.

He did far more than look at the similarities between species. What from Darwin do you disagree with? It's not at all off-topic related to the X-Men given that evolution is the entire fictional explanation for their existence.