• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

Suspension of disbelief does not mean just throw all logic completely out the window and absolutely anything goes. Positing a guy that has super speed he still lives in a physical world with some laws of physics. What if Spider Man shot his webs and sandman snapped them then in the next scene the same size web was holding up the empire state building? Suspend disbelief or call BS? At some point even in a superhero movie you have to call BS.

I think it will top out closer to $600 million worldwide.

I feel this will end up ending its run quickly & with a whimper as the biggest indication of "superhero fatigue" yet.

My totally unscientific proof point? I'm a huge X-Men fan & couldn't be roused to see it in its first 10 days of release. - Just really not excited for this film the way I was for all five of the prior ones.

And it's weird - how did we get to a point where the X-Men movies are playing fourth fiddle behind Avengers movies, Iron Man movies and Captain America movies?

X-Men, Batman, and Spider-Man were the gold standard trio of comic book titles in my youth (late '80s - mid '90s) and yet this latest X-Men film already seems to be fading from public consciousness less than two weeks in.

That it seems poised to do less well domestically than Ant-Man boggles my mind.

It's not fatigue, it just isn't as well done as a Marvel Studios movie. That's the difference; knowing how to properly use the characters.

And it's weird - how did we get to a point where the X-Men movies are playing fourth fiddle behind Avengers movies, Iron Man movies and Captain America movies?

Marvel discovered the secret sauce for translating superheroes to the big screen, but they're not sharing the recipe for the sauce with Fox. (shrug) The ideal scenario is that the X-Men films keep whittling down their revenues to a point where Disney just buys the rights back from Fox. That could take another decade though. :eek:

Marvel discovered the secret sauce for translating superheroes to the big screen, but they're not sharing the recipe for the sauce with Fox. (shrug) The ideal scenario is that the X-Men films keep whittling down their revenues to a point where Disney just buys the rights back from Fox. That could take another decade though. :eek:

X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past are just as good as any of the Marvel Studios productions. They just weren't massive financial wins, though DoFP sure surpassed estimates.

Was the Apocalypse film that far off from the same pattern it is now assumed the X-Franchise can't recover?

X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past are just as good as any of the Marvel Studios productions. They just weren't massive financial wins, though DoFP sure surpassed estimates.

Was the Apocalypse film that far off from the same pattern it is now assumed the X-Franchise can't recover?

That all depends on the directors they pick. Yes, they can get a great one, or not. But Fox itself adds no value to the process like Marvel does with their directors, so as a fan you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. Or hope for the worst for a long enough span that allows Disney to be able to afford to buy back the rights.

Suspension of disbelief does not mean just throw all logic completely out the window and absolutely anything goes. Positing a guy that has super speed he still lives in a physical world with some laws of physics. What if Spider Man shot his webs and sandman snapped them then in the next scene the same size web was holding up the empire state building? Suspend disbelief or call BS? At some point even in a superhero movie you have to call BS.

I get what you're saying here.

Super hero movie or not, once you set up your own internal rules in a film, you have to play by them.

So unless it has been established that Quicksilver also has super strength or indestructible bones, a 10,000 mph punch should destroy his entire skeleton.

-J.

Exactly.

And if he's going to drink at super speed they need to establish he can speed up the effects of gravity or something. Other things around him were falling in slow motion so why did the soda fall down his throat at hyper-speed?

I agree with Bosco. Those films were well done, but those are the exception, with X2 being the only other one that makes the list.

3 pretty good movies against how many that are garbage?

I've stated before, if X3 and Wolverine Origins weren't colossal failures, the necessity to create an alternate timeline wouldn't have had to happen. DOFP would have been that much better, but it's the focal point instead for trying to fix those mistakes.

It's good for what it is, but man, with the talent in these films, they could be so much better.

Exactly.

And if he's going to drink at super speed they need to establish he can speed up the effects of gravity or something. Other things around him were falling in slow motion so why did the soda fall down his throat at hyper-speed?

But where do you stop w/that analysis?

At that speed:

His hair would tear out

His skin would fall off.

His clothing would shred

Yadda ...

Exactly.

But where do you stop w/that analysis?

At that speed:

His hair would tear out

His skin would fall off.

His clothing would shred

Yadda ...

Well we can accept that he is immune to his own speed effects. That we can swallow. I don't even really have an issue with him punching people. But when other objects around him move at different speeds depending on plot, then I have to intercede.

How did apocalypse trap his foot? he is faster than an explosion and that earth trap moved way slower than an explosion.

He may be immune, but his clothing?

It's like when Superman leaps - the surface he leaps from should be destroyed given the force required to make the leap.

Don't stand in the way of your own fun.

Exactly.

Drinking isn't the best example. The muscles and vacuum of drinking enhance/overcome gravity.

It's possible to drink while standing on your head, so gravity isn't the only factor. His muscles could do "super drinking".

you can suck through a straw upside down but you cannot pour fluid upward.

I think it will top out closer to $600 million worldwide.

I feel this will end up ending its run quickly & with a whimper as the biggest indication of "superhero fatigue" yet.

My totally unscientific proof point? I'm a huge X-Men fan & couldn't be roused to see it in its first 10 days of release. - Just really not excited for this film the way I was for all five of the prior ones.

X-Men, Batman, and Spider-Man were the gold standard trio of comic book titles in my youth (late '80s - mid '90s) and yet this latest X-Men film already seems to be fading from public consciousness less than two weeks in.

That it seems poised to do less well domestically than Ant-Man boggles my mind.

Domestically, at least since the first two movies, the X-Men haven't really done all that great at the box office.

Many have enjoyed the last few films in the series, but without the overseas box office they'd be considered kinds weak.

Saw it yesterday. What a trainwreck. Time for a film without the Xavier/Magneto bromance. Last time I looked, there were more bad guys in the X-Universe. Only high spot for me was the burgeoning romance between Scott and Jean. Only point of the movie that made me chuckle was

Wolverine towering over Jean in the one scene.

:roflmao: Obviously, someone still hasn't picked up an X-book.

Saw it yesterday. What a trainwreck. Time for a film without the Xavier/Magneto bromance. Last time I looked, there were more bad guys in the X-Universe. Only high spot for me was the burgeoning romance between Scott and Jean. Only point of the movie that made me chuckle was

Wolverine towering over Jean in the one scene.

:roflmao: Obviously, someone still hasn't picked up an X-book.

Case in point.

lol

Finally finished it at lunch and I really enjoyed it. Definetely not the deepest movie but it was a fun flick which didn't take itself too serious. Solid B in my book (I think I gave BvsS a C+ and Cap 3 a B).