• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

I took my grandson to see it today. We thought it was great, but I'm a little irritated that they felt the need for another needless f-bomb (3rd one in 3 films- though I admit Logan's was pretty funny in FC).

It really is hard to teach children the 'do's, don'ts, when's and when not's' of the proper use of language anymore. Sure I "cussed" when I was a kid, but that was due to exposure to other kids and some adults. Now it's everywhere in films that Marvel knows children will be seeing.

Captain America- First Avenger had no major profanity that I recall because f-bombs would not have sounded right in this period piece. Well you know what Marvel? If none of your films had any profanity in them, I doubt anyone would complain saying, "There just weren't enough F*cks and Sh*ts in this PG-13 film".

:preach:rantrantOVER

Your 13 year old or older grandchildren haven't been exposed to those words? ???

Going on eleven. Sure he's been exposed to them. We, as caregivers, want to minimize that exposure while he is at this impressionable age. hm

I've noticed some people treat other peoples children like toys in certain social gatherings. Once, during such a gathering, some of the younger folks present (mid twenties) saw our then 3 year old grandson poke one of the young ladies' boobs (not with any intent, just something a toddler does). If we were right there at the moment we would have gently stopped him. But then everyone present burst out in laughter, encouraging him to continue for at least 10-15 minutes before we noticed and put a stop to it, which had to have caused him confusion that a 3 year old would feel. They all thought it was cute and funny, which it was in an "at the moment" sort of way, but they never take into account that THEY'RE not the ones who have to raise the child responsibly. Allowing such a thing to go unchecked could cause some seriously embarrassing and uncomfortable moments when having to explain to teachers or principals or other parents.

How many of us know [of] people who rely solely on schools to mold their child's minds during these years, only to moan and groan to the world when said kids exhibit poor social skills during inappropriate settings?

"I don't know why he/she does this! They never learned it from me!" Chances are they never learned NOT to either.

It begins at home. Always has, and should always will.

So, if I get it right you have an issue with the language but don't seem to have an issue exposing your 11 year old to the violence of the movie? Can you help me understand how you separate the two and rank one being worse than the other? I'm guessing in this movies case the profanity outweighed the violence or maybe you don't have an issue with violence in movies. I am NOT judging - just asking for your opinion.

I ask as we have a 3 year old and he isn't allowed to see any program that has violence within it. I don't think he'll see the X-Men or any superhero movie until he is 13 or 14. He doesn't need to be exposed to that outside of the Taekwondo class he'll start in a year. That's the way that we view the two and place more weight on the violence side. Not that profanity is acceptable nor would it be in the future.

I'm sure all of the above just comes down to different views on parenting. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

I'll be able to read your response but won't be able to reply. I look forward to reading your reply.

I took my grandson to see it today. We thought it was great, but I'm a little irritated that they felt the need for another needless f-bomb (3rd one in 3 films- though I admit Logan's was pretty funny in FC).

It really is hard to teach children the 'do's, don'ts, when's and when not's' of the proper use of language anymore. Sure I "cussed" when I was a kid, but that was due to exposure to other kids and some adults. Now it's everywhere in films that Marvel knows children will be seeing.

Captain America- First Avenger had no major profanity that I recall because f-bombs would not have sounded right in this period piece. Well you know what Marvel? If none of your films had any profanity in them, I doubt anyone would complain saying, "There just weren't enough F*cks and Sh*ts in this PG-13 film".

Your 13 year old or older grandchildren haven't been exposed to those words? ???

Going on eleven. Sure he's been exposed to them. We, as caregivers, want to minimize that exposure while he is at this impressionable age. hm

I've noticed some people treat other peoples children like toys in certain social gatherings. Once, during such a gathering, some of the younger folks present (mid twenties) saw our then 3 year old grandson poke one of the young ladies' boobs (not with any intent, just something a toddler does). If we were right there at the moment we would have gently stopped him. But then everyone present burst out in laughter, encouraging him to continue for at least 10-15 minutes before we noticed and put a stop to it, which had to have caused him confusion that a 3 year old would feel. They all thought it was cute and funny, which it was in an "at the moment" sort of way, but they never take into account that THEY'RE not the ones who have to raise the child responsibly. Allowing such a thing to go unchecked could cause some seriously embarrassing and uncomfortable moments when having to explain to teachers or principals or other parents.

How many of us know [of] people who rely solely on schools to mold their child's minds during these years, only to moan and groan to the world when said kids exhibit poor social skills during inappropriate settings?

"I don't know why he/she does this! They never learned it from me!" Chances are they never learned NOT to either.

So, if I get it right you have an issue with the language but don't seem to have an issue exposing your 11 year old to the violence of the movie? Can you help me understand how you separate the two and rank one being worse than the other? I'm guessing in this movies case the profanity outweighed the violence or maybe you don't have an issue with violence in movies. I am NOT judging - just asking for your opinion.

I ask as we have a 3 year old and he isn't allowed to see any program that has violence within it. I don't think he'll see the X-Men or any superhero movie until he is 13 or 14. He doesn't need to be exposed to that outside of the Taekwondo class he'll start in a year. That's the way that we view the two and place more weight on the violence side. Not that profanity is acceptable nor would it be in the future.

I'm sure all of the above just comes down to different views on parenting. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

I'll be able to read your response but won't be able to reply. I look forward to reading your reply.

We just recently (last week) took custody of him. You make a very good point, and in light of this recent development, and considering the theater experience, will most likely be thinking in that mind set.

Before coming to us he had seen most of the Super Hero films as well as most of those mind numbing animated kid's shows with brain dead, booger-eating main characters. When he would visit we never let him watch Wolverine (first one) or Iron Man (also first one), and of course none of the R films (Sin City, Watchmen, Crow). He's a huge Hulk fan, so we did let him watch the Norton version.

There isn't a violent bone in his body, quite the opposite, but he has been caught at home and school using bad language so that sort of got moved to the forefront. I don't pay attention to spoiler threads prior to viewing, and had no idea Wolverine would have a cameo in the film. In fact, for some reason I was under the impression he would not be in it, and hoped it would actually translate into a less deadly type of action film. Well, ol' Logan sure crammed a films worth of that in his scene lol .

And then today we let him watch the latest incarnation of The FF without seeing it first (I never intended on seeing it). :facepalm: They must have said s**t 9 times and said d*ck at least twice. For frickin' crying out loud, people! These are supposed to be HEROES in the films you're making.

I don't read moderns- Is this language in whatever passes or passed for the FF, or any comic that Marvel knows has an adult as well as a minor fanbase?

He never saw Deadpool, and won't any time soon, but he somehow loves the character anyway lol . We're not sure exactly what exposure he had to the character, but at least one were those Youtube Mindcraft videos things. Not too sure what they are yet, but I have a vague idea and will be checking them out.

Without a doubt this first attempt at an in-theater super hero film was an eye opener. And the FF was a reminder to check the film first. We never had to raise children in this age of hero films, so we're relearning as we go.

But the film was great lol Right up there with First Class as my favorite of the ever-evolving, ever-mutating franchise. In fact I think the last three films did a much better job staying consistent with each other than the first three did.

Not consistent with the X-Men, just each other.

Pretty bummed Munn didn't have a bigger role in this one.

Edited by MR SigS☺

I liked it. I didn't understand the closing credit scene.

That was Mister Sinister, a villain who loves experimenting on mutants for his own nefarious purposes. He does some cloning as well, which I believe will be how X-23 is introduced. Brian Singer has said that this ties into the next Wolverine movie.

And then today we let him watch the latest incarnation of The FF without seeing it first (I never intended on seeing it). :facepalm: They must have said s**t 9 times and said d*ck at least twice. For frickin' crying out loud, Marvel! These are supposed to be HEROES.

I don't read moderns- Is this language in whatever passes or passed for the FF, or any comic that Marvel knows has an adult as well as a minor fanbase?

Marvel didn't make X-Men: Apocalypse. Marvel didn't make Fantastic Four. They were not Marvel Studios productions; Marvel licensed those characters to 20th Century Fox many moons ago.

I liked it. I didn't understand the closing credit scene.

That was Mister Sinister, a villain who loves experimenting on mutants for his own nefarious purposes. He does some cloning as well, which I believe will be how X-23 is introduced. Brian Singer has said that this ties into the next Wolverine movie.

(thumbs u

Marvel didn't make X-Men: Apocalypse. Marvel didn't make Fantastic Four. They were not Marvel Studios productions; Marvel licensed those characters to 20th Century Fox many moons ago.

You're right- Edited.

But Marvel is just as guilty (though FF has to be by far the worst- On SO many levels).

Of course, the film rating is there to warn us. :rulez:

It's a "money talks" thing; Like if Gasoline Brand A dropped their prices 25% across the board and everyone went to them, the rest of the alphabet would soon do the same,

or if politicians had to draw Social Security like the rest of us, it's guaranteed Social Security would be fixed. If everyone stopped taking kids to these films due to profanity,

the profanity would vanish.

lol And I'm not saying, "It's everybody else's fault!" lol The world is what it is, and raising children certainly hasn't gotten easier in the last 25 years.

I finally saw it tonight.

Hands down, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I had to leave the theatre for a minute because I was laughing so hard.

If I'm judging it as a comedy, 10/10 easy.

If I'm judging it as what is is supposed to be, 2 or 3 out of 10.

Saw it tonight with my wife and I loved it. More than civil war which I thought was a dull storyline. I have more invested in the xmen from my youth so I might be biased. The weapon x stuff was really cool. As was Jean unleashing the Phoenix

For being the sixth movie in this franchise I really feel it did an X-cellent job of tugging on your heart strings when it needed to and of providing some top notch entertainment. Might not be my favorite of the series (X2 is haaaard to top), but it's a great piece of X-Men fare.

I plan on seeing the movie this week. Just haven't had the time lately.

ceejfOu.png

FjioiCT.png

I am a little concerned how the movie is doing compared to the last two X-Men films. And the crazy thing is Apocalypse opened up in far movie theaters, and a larger target market.

0r0Ljff.png

It is the international market as a whole that is carrying the film forward.

Saw it yesterday. Woman at counter sold us tickets to something else so X-Men didn't get our money. I thought it was fun and comic book-like in some places. They got Psylocke so right. Apocalypse was a little weird/off.

I would like to see an all-out fun, colorful X-Men movie at some point. Give Mystique and Magneto a rest. A lot of these movies are blurring together for me now and there were a number of places where I wasn't sure if they weren't just repeating dialogue from past movies.

i think is going to end between $600 - $700 million.

I'd like to think that, because I really enjoy the X-franchise movies. But this one started out foundationally low. So anything it gets from here will be through the power of word-of-mouth and if any weekends have weaker candidates.

• June 10, 2016 – Warcraft
  • June 17, 2016 – Central Intelligence (Dwayne Johnson)
  • June 17, 2016 – Finding Dory (Disney)
  • June 24, 2016 – Independence Day: Resurgence
  • July 1, 2016 – The Legend of Tarzan
  • July 15, 2016 – Ghostbusters
  • July 22, 2016 – Star Trek Beyond
  • July 29, 2016 – Jason Bourne
  • August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)

Come mid-June and July, there is some real competition soon now that Star Trek: Beyond looks to be better than the first trailer and Legends of Tarzan has looked strong from the first trailer.

$575MM - $600MM w/ $100MM from China; won't make back it's nut on theatrical distribution but will be profitable when all revenue streams are collected. down 66% this weekend against a Turtles sequel that could barely do 1/2 what the previous installment did says this one has no legs domestically.

No way Jose.

It will be lucky if it gets to $600.

-J.

It really depends. It's doing much better Internationally. I'd say it brings in about 160+ million domestic & between 400 - 450 International depending on how well it does in China (probably 120+). I don't think it can earn much more than 600 though.

Seems like most movies are doing below expectations this year. I'm not just talking about Superhero fatigue either, it seems to be hitting all genres. They're just coming out with too many movies in too short a time frame & pulling them from theaters faster than ever before. BvS for example, is coming to DVD just 12 weeks after it's debut. We use to wait around 5 months.