• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF1 or Showcase 4...which is in 2nd place in the SA?

156 posts in this topic

Pardon my staggering ignorance, but if Bats, Supes, and WW were all in continuous publication since their beginnings, why is the Flash reboot, or any single DC comic of that era, seen as so significant? FF1, even though just a rehash of the Challengers, at least represents a new direction for Marvel. But for DC, superheroes never actually stopped, did they?

Actually, that's not a bad question. Flash, GL and several other characters had new starts, but not Bats, Supes and Wonder Woman. Flash and GL were NEW characters in old roles, maybe that's it?

Thus the eternal conundrum of what the first SA appearances of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are, much debated and never resolved.

I have found out some recent info about the 'first' SA appearances of Supes, Bats, & WW on the CGC forums and just browsing the Internet! We all know there is nothing 'official' for Supes & Bats, but DC has made their decision for WW's clear. Here is what I got as the 'Big 3' first SA appearances in my queries:

Superman - Action Comics #241; First appearance of Fortress of Solitude (Fort Superman)

Batman - Detective Comics #265; It re-tells Bats origin with new facts and its officially his first case.

WW - Wonder Woman #98 & #99; This is a two part origin and has new artwork done by Ross Andru & Mike Esposito.

But... but... 242 intro's a "NEW" popular super-villain for Supes. :shrug:

lol That's true with the intro of Brainiac, but I guess the new character may have stolen some of Supes thunder in that issue.

Its kinda the same for Detective Comics #233. Some believe this issue to be Bats 'first' SA appearance, but it also introduces the new character Batwoman. Also, it is released in July 1956, 3 months before SC #4, if you believe that this book started the SA.

Pardon my staggering ignorance, but if Bats, Supes, and WW were all in continuous publication since their beginnings, why is the Flash reboot, or any single DC comic of that era, seen as so significant? FF1, even though just a rehash of the Challengers, at least represents a new direction for Marvel. But for DC, superheroes never actually stopped, did they?

Actually, that's not a bad question. Flash, GL and several other characters had new starts, but not Bats, Supes and Wonder Woman. Flash and GL were NEW characters in old roles, maybe that's it?

Thus the eternal conundrum of what the first SA appearances of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are, much debated and never resolved.

I have found out some recent info about the 'first' SA appearances of Supes, Bats, & WW on the CGC forums and just browsing the Internet! We all know there is nothing 'official' for Supes & Bats, but DC has made their decision for WW's clear. Here is what I got as the 'Big 3' first SA appearances in my queries:

Superman - Action Comics #241; First appearance of Fortress of Solitude (Fort Superman)

Batman - Detective Comics #265; It re-tells Bats origin with new facts and its officially his first case.

WW - Wonder Woman #98 & #99; This is a two part origin and has new artwork done by Ross Andru & Mike Esposito.

lol That's true with the intro of Brainiac, but I guess the new character may have stolen some of Supes thunder in that issue.

Its kinda the same for Detective Comics #233. Some believe this issue to be Bats 'first' SA appearance, but it also introduces the new character Batwoman. Also, it is released in July 1956, 3 months before SC #4, if you believe that this book started the SA.

Great, albeit circular discussion. lol

I think it boils down to a matter of opinion. I consider Tec 225 to be the start of the silver age, and the start of Silver Bats. Action 242 as the start of Silver Supes and WW105 as start of Silver WW.

SC4 is intro. and start of SA Flash, and so on and so forth with the intros. later on.

Tec 225 is not even an option in my book. Has very little to no bearing on the beginning of the SA. Terrible cover! 2c

Really? Interesting. General consensus is that it's between SC4 and Tec 225. Not many people discount it altogether. To me Tec 225 "feels" like a silver book. I cannot reconcile it being a Golden Age book.

Do agree that it is a ST110 level of cover terribleness. :)

I think it boils down to a matter of opinion. I consider Tec 225 to be the start of the silver age, and the start of Silver Bats. Action 242 as the start of Silver Supes and WW105 as start of Silver WW.

SC4 is intro. and start of SA Flash, and so on and so forth with the intros. later on.

Yes it is! (thumbs u It is a matter of opinion for the Supes & Bats 'first' SA appearances, but if DC themselves confirmed WW's as #98 & #99 I have to go with that. (shrug)

Yes it is! (thumbs u It is a matter of opinion for the Supes & Bats 'first' SA appearances, but if DC themselves confirmed WW's as #98 & #99 I have to go with that. (shrug)

Can't argue with that, but it does seem collectors at large tend to value 105 a little higher than 98. So perhaps, collectors have voted with their wallet.

Tec 225 is not even an option in my book. Has very little to no bearing on the beginning of the SA. Terrible cover! 2c

Really? Interesting. General consensus is that it's between SC4 and Tec 225. Not many people discount it altogether. To me Tec 225 "feels" like a silver book. I cannot reconcile it being a Golden Age book.

This should have been the 110 cover.

143445.jpg.1dbf9498282b03da4706e762043ad11a.jpg

Can't argue with that, but it does seem collectors at large tend to value 105 a little higher than 98. So perhaps, collectors have voted with their wallet.

lol Perhaps! The 98's & 99's have been on the rise though! I just spent a grip on this rare high grade #99 baby:

<a  href=WW_99_CGC_8_zps4ab95c91.jpg' alt='WW_99_

This should have been the 110 cover.

Yes it should have been... :cry:

lol Perhaps! The 98's & 99's have been on the rise though! I just spent a grip on this rare high grade #99 baby:

That is a NICE copy. Second highest graded with only one graded higher... WW is soooo tough in this time frame. I can imagine that wasn't cheap. lol

For what it's worth, though 98, 99 and 105 all have decent covers, 105 is the best of the lot. :)

That is a NICE copy. Second highest graded with only one graded higher... WW is soooo tough in this time frame. I can imagine that wasn't cheap. lol

For what it's worth, though 98, 99 and 105 all have decent covers, 105 is the best of the lot. :)

(thumbs u

Roy, you and I weren't around when Showcase 4 was on the stands, but I have a hard time believing this book was so different from everything else around it. Perhaps the fellow you mentioned in your post didn't see the contemporary issues of World's Finest, Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, Wonder Woman, etc on the racks/newstands or wherever it was that he purchased his comics?

Burntboy was the real deal as a buyer/collector! He amassed the original owner collection that now bears the Sid's Luncheonette pedigree. See these two threads:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5399942&Searchpage=2&Main=246748&Words=Luncheonette&topic=0&Search=true#Post5399942

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6160369&fpart=1

:preach:

This is REALLY an interesting and intriguing day for Me!!! I must have had burning ears or something as I haven't been on the boards since the Summer when I sold a bunch of SA Spideys for my Cousin.

So I decide to check in and get immediately involved in the tragic story of Keith Cantarino. So terribly sad...

Then I notice my PM light blinking and hear comes Roy asking Me to join in on the discussion about the most important book of the SA.

As Roy correctly stated, I amassed a decent collection of both DC's and Marvels from about 1956 to early 1965. I was fortunate enough to own just about every Key from that time frame and most were original personal purchases.

As to which book started the SA, I'm with the Showcase #4 crowd. There wasn't much going on in the Superhero Universe at the Time except for DC's Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman (and the various spin off books for these characters and the other minor DC Heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter.

The Marvel Universe was still 4 years away when DC decided to reinvent the Flash in 1956. I remember buying the book at Jimmies Candy Store around the corner from my home primarily because the cover caught my eye. The bright red uniform hit me quick and the odd cover of this "Flash" guy running off the magazine was pretty intriguing.

The story was wondrous for an 8 year old 57 years ago and it helped to trigger my personal joy for Comics. I never saw Tec 225 on the stands but can assure you that the standard looking Tec cover would not have grabbed my Dime. Interestingly I did part with a dime for #233 some months later to learn about the new Batwoman. (Both copies were lost when we moved one town over that Fall.

So for me, the book that started the SA of comics and ushered in the Revivals of the Green Lantern, The JLA, Hawkman, Atom, Spectre, The JSA, etc. is the most important. I would pick FF #1 as the second most important due to it's beginning the Marvel Age and all the wonderful books that would soon follow. I'd pick AF 15 3d because it created the most popular comic book character of the last 50 years.

Realize my opinion is worth no more than the next guy but being there as it happened is a fond memory that I'm always willing to share...

Roy, you and I weren't around when Showcase 4 was on the stands, but I have a hard time believing this book was so different from everything else around it. Perhaps the fellow you mentioned in your post didn't see the contemporary issues of World's Finest, Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, Wonder Woman, etc on the racks/newstands or wherever it was that he purchased his comics?

Burntboy was the real deal as a buyer/collector! He amassed the original owner collection that now bears the Sid's Luncheonette pedigree. See these two threads:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5399942&Searchpage=2&Main=246748&Words=Luncheonette&topic=0&Search=true#Post5399942

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6160369&fpart=1

This is REALLY an interesting and intriguing day for Me!!! I must have had burning ears or something as I haven't been on the boards since the Summer when I sold a bunch of SA Spideys for my Cousin.

So I decide to check in and get immediately involved in the tragic story of Keith Cantarino. So terribly sad...

Then I notice my PM light blinking and hear comes Roy asking Me to join in on the discussion about the most important book of the SA.

As Roy correctly stated, I amassed a decent collection of both DC's and Marvels from about 1956 to early 1965. I was fortunate enough to own just about every Key from that time frame and most were original personal purchases.

As to which book started the SA, I'm with the Showcase #4 crowd. There wasn't much going on in the Superhero Universe at the Time except for DC's Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman (and the various spin off books for these characters and the other minor DC Heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter.

The Marvel Universe was still 4 years away when DC decided to reinvent the Flash in 1956. I remember buying the book at Jimmies Candy Store around the corner from my home primarily because the cover caught my eye. The bright red uniform hit me quick and the odd cover of this "Flash" guy running off the magazine was pretty intriguing.

The story was wondrous for an 8 year old 57 years ago and it helped to trigger my personal joy for Comics. I never saw Tec 225 on the stands but can assure you that the standard looking Tec cover would not have grabbed my Dime. Interestingly I did part with a dime for #233 some months later to learn about the new Batwoman. (Both copies were lost when we moved one town over that Fall.

So for me, the book that started the SA of comics and ushered in the Revivals of the Green Lantern, The JLA, Hawkman, Atom, Spectre, The JSA, etc. is the most important. I would pick FF #1 as the second most important due to it's beginning the Marvel Age and all the wonderful books that would soon follow. I'd pick AF 15 3d because it created the most popular comic book character of the last 50 years.

Realize my opinion is worth no more than the next guy but being there as it happened is a fond memory that I'm always willing to share...

Very cool. :applause:

lol

It was meant to be! Welcome back! :applause:

Love first hand accounts! :cloud9:

My favorite type of post, about my favorite book - :luhv: