• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF1 or Showcase 4...which is in 2nd place in the SA?

156 posts in this topic

FF 1 takes a back seat to SC4 and B&B28 IMO. It's funny how these disagreements, always seem to come down to which company we like more. I would rather have a SC4 than AF15.

Interesting statement. In theory, you could sell a AF15 in 8.0 and have enough money to buy a SC4 in 8.0 AND a BB28 in 8.0 with enough money left over to get a nice 6.5 FF1. So, I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm...

You're making two assumptions, first that the poster means of equal grade not equal value, and secondly, even if they meant equal grade that they wouldn't have ( or had) to pay FMV for them.

If I could afford to buy any and all comics I wanted in whatever grade, there are scores if not hundreds of books that I would seek out before an Action #1; if a genie was granting me a wish for just one 8.0 book, it would be Action #1 in a heartbeat.

FF 1 takes a back seat to SC4 and B&B28 IMO. It's funny how these disagreements, always seem to come down to which company we like more. I would rather have a SC4 than AF15.

Interesting statement. In theory, you could sell a AF15 in 8.0 and have enough money to buy a SC4 in 8.0 AND a BB28 in 8.0 with enough money left over to get a nice 6.5 FF1. So, I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm...

You're making two assumptions, first that the poster means of equal grade not equal value, and secondly, even if they meant equal grade that they wouldn't have ( or had) to pay FMV for them.

If I could afford to buy any and all comics I wanted in whatever grade, there are scores if not hundreds of books that I would seek out before an Action #1; if a genie was granting me a wish for just one 8.0 book, it would be Action #1 in a heartbeat.

I certainly assumed we were discussing this in theory and not in practice. lol

There are tons of books I'd have instead of an AF15 all things considered equal. Just wanted to make the point about value.

I would rather have a detective 27, than any other book,but that most likely will never happen. I would rather have a SC4,because I like the flash. I don't care about spider-man, so AF15 doesn't mean much to me. I don't want AF15 just so I can say I have one, I am a collector at heart, I want what I like. Value plays no part in my thought process.

As far as the 2nd place silver age book goes, I maintain that SC4 is it. I honestly think SC4 is THE silver age book,again this isn't based on value, I just think it is the more important book. Would the creators at Marvel have come up with the super heroes we know today, if it wasn't for the success DC had before them?

I would rather have a detective 27, than any other book,but that most likely will never happen. I would rather have a SC4,because I like the flash. I don't care about spider-man, so AF15 doesn't mean much to me. I don't want AF15 just so I can say I have one, I am a collector at heart, I want what I like. Value plays no part in my thought process.

As far as the 2nd place silver age book goes, I maintain that SC4 is it. I honestly think SC4 is THE silver age book,again this isn't based on value, I just think it is the more important book. Would the creators at Marvel have come up with the super heroes we know today, if it wasn't for the success DC had before them?

Minion_Meme.png

lol ,last time I checked, we are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions. Sorry if it ruffles the feathers of the "there is only Marvel and nothing else matters" crowd. This whole thread is opinions, I'm just voicing mine.

lol ,last time I checked, we are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions. Sorry if it ruffles the feathers of the "there is only Marvel and nothing else matters" crowd. This whole thread is opinions, I'm just voicing mine.

huh_meme_generator_huh_what_0e4b63.jpg

FYI - Flash rulez and the Fantastic Four droolz.

Its possible, and they were obviously thinking about it pre-Showcase 4 by attempting to revive Subby, Cap, and the Torch in '54.

Its possible, and they were obviously thinking about it pre-Showcase 4 by attempting to revive Subby, Cap, and the Torch in '54.

And how did that work out for them :baiting:

And how did that work out for them :baiting:

In fairness, they didnt give it much of a chance...

I certainly assumed we were discussing this in theory and not in practice. lol

There are tons of books I'd have instead of an AF15 all things considered equal. Just wanted to make the point about value.

It's extremely difficult to talk about 'favourites' and 'most important' because value keeps getting thrown into the mix.

Personally, I'd rather own Marvel #1 than Action #1 and Detective #27 even though it's not worth nearly as much. I think it's a very important book, and just as important as Detective #27 and Whiz #1 are in the grand scheme in my opinion.

The synergy that happens when you have a competitor is probably the single most important thing in a market because it forces both sides to try harder and build a better product.

That's why I've always said that without Marvel #1 or Whiz #1 we possibly wouldn't have a Golden Age - one publisher couldn't carry it all.

It's hard to tell where Showcase #4 fits in, 60 years later, but I do like the fact that Harry / burntboy could explain how he felt about it when he first saw it on the newsstand.

...I am a collector at heart, I want what I like. Value plays no part in my thought process.

My thinking too. And that's why aesthetically I'd rather have Showcase 8, 13 or 14 than Showcase 4, and Amazing Spider-Man 1 rather than Amazing Fantasy 15.

In fact, were I in possession of Action 1, Detective 27 or Amazing Fantasy 15, it wouldn't be for long. I'd trade them immediately for equal "value" of comics I like more and actually want to own.

:preach:

...I am a collector at heart, I want what I like. Value plays no part in my thought process.

My thinking too. And that's why aesthetically I'd rather have Showcase 8, 13 or 14 than Showcase 4, and Amazing Spider-Man 1 rather than Amazing Fantasy 15.

In fact, were I in possession of Action 1, Detective 27 or Amazing Fantasy 15, it wouldn't be for long. I'd trade them immediately for equal "value" of comics I like more and actually want to own.

Puh-lease! When you're talking about these prices, value (and recovery thereof) has to play some part in your purchasing decision.

Puh-lease! When you're talking about these prices, value (and recovery thereof) has to play some part in your purchasing decision.

I know it's "unpopular" amongst collectors, but I feel the same way. I'm a middle class guy, I'm not rich. If I drop 3 grand on a book. And sometimes more, I have to have a reasonable expectation that if times get tough I at least have a fighting chance of getting my money back. I DO only spend what I can afford, but I don't live in a bubble. Life and circumstances are ever changing.

I did say "equal value".

(shrug)

I know it's "unpopular" amongst collectors, but I feel the same way. I'm a middle class guy, I'm not rich. If I drop 3 grand on a book. And sometimes more, I have to have a reasonable expectation that if times get tough I at least have a fighting chance of getting my money back.

That's why I'm reluctant to spend mega bucks ($10,000+) on a single comic. I can't shake the impression that there's a large bubble element in stratospheric prices of this sort and I'll turn out to be the greatest fool (but with a really nice comic of course). After all, old comics are not a necessity. For me they're just a compulsion of sorts.

(shrug)

I think "value" plays a role in everything we buy. I honestly wouldn't buy any of these books, unless I was very well off, which I'm not. This is part of the reason why I buy low grade copies of bigger books,because I can afford them. I buy what I like, if I need to sell them, and make my money back or even a couple extra bucks, great, if not, I'll pass them along to my kids accordingly. (just as an aside, my kids are already trying to figure out, who gets what lol )

If I found a detective 27, action 1, AF15, etc. I would keep them for about a month, then sell them. I can use that money for more important things.

All this talk, when in fact Incredible Hulk #1 is number two only to AF #15

That's what I said from the beginning :cool:

I guess we need to throw TOS 39, JIM 83, etc, in the mix since everyone is listing favorites. :P