• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF1 or Showcase 4...which is in 2nd place in the SA?

156 posts in this topic

Thanks - I grabbed a copy about 11 years ago right after I retired. It's CGC'd so I use the DC Archives when I want to revisit it...

All of your posts are positive, educational and enthusiastic - you apparently love this hobby like a collector - which is why I always look forward to your posts.

I would choose this book over any SC4. (worship)

RAD0B34F20131212_1403_zpsf7a12985.jpg

Man, if it only didn't have that 1961 written on it and was properly centered, I might agree with you.

Only kidding of course - are you the proud owner?? :baiting:

Man, if it only didn't have that 1961 written on it and was properly centered, I might agree with you.

Do a lot of the White Mountain comics have a year scribble? Would that not normally bring the grade down another notch or two?

The cover looks nice and white though, if we can trust the scan.

(shrug)

Putting aside the preferences we have for Marvel or DC and taking these questions into consideration could provide greater insight into the role each book had at their inception:

- Is Showcase 4 the first SA book?

- Is a key 1st SA appearance more valuable than the 1st true app. of a team of superheroes?

- If Showcase 4 was such a "success," then why did it take nearly 3 years for the Flash to get his own book? After Lois Lane and the Challengers of the Unknown?

- If DC already had successful superheroes titles like Superman, Batman, and the Wonder Woman books at the time Showcase 4 came out, then how does a new Superhero Age start when they already existed? Especially when the Superhero didn't get his book until 1959?

- If FF was Jack Kirby's creation and his "modification" of the Challengers of the Unknown, then will this impact the significance of the originality of Marvel's first SA creation?

Once again, I will add that every SA key collection should have both books.

John

Putting aside the preferences we have for Marvel or DC and taking these questions into consideration could provide greater insight into the role each book had at their inception:

- Is a key 1st SA appearance more valuable than the 1st true app. of a team of superheroes?

- If Showcase 4 was such a "success," then why did it take nearly 3 years for the Flash to get his own book? After Lois Lane and the Challengers of the Unknown?

- If DC already had successful superheroes titles like Superman, Batman, and the Wonder Woman books at the time Showcase 4 came out, then how does a new Superhero Age start when they already existed? Especially when the Superhero didn't get his book until 1959?

- If FF was Jack Kirby's creation and his "modification" of the Challengers of the Unknown, then will this impact the significance of the originality of Marvel's first SA creation?

John

Good post.

We need to also consider the place of Brave and the Bold 28.

In many ways Fantastic Four 1 was the Marvel response to the Super hero Team in BB28 a year earlier.

John

Good post.

In many ways Fantastic Four 1 was the Marvel response to the Super hero Team in BB28 a year earlier.

Bingo!

John

Good post.

Bingo!

So you have a book that revitalizes Super heroes.

A book that takes that super hero and creates a super team.

A book that works to be respond to the success to the above 2 books.

hm seems like I know which book is the most important one there.

John

Good post.

Bingo!

Walking Dead #1?

John

Good post.

Bingo!

Walking Dead #1?

Get out of my head!!! :ohnoez:

John

Good post.

Bingo!

+1

John

Good post.

Bingo!

Absolutely. Action Comics #1 changed comic books forever. Totally #1.

Oh, you mean silver age. Then it's FF#1 of course. That's the book that changed superhero comic books next. (Then probably Dark Knight or Watchmen, which caused the third change in superhero comic books)

FF 1 takes a back seat to SC4 and B&B28 IMO. It's funny how these disagreements, always seem to come down to which company we like more. I would rather have a SC4 than AF15.

I have given this a bit of thought and came to the conclusion that you are insane.

After giving it significantly more thought, I realized I hadn't changed my mind lol

FF 1 takes a back seat to SC4 and B&B28 IMO. It's funny how these disagreements, always seem to come down to which company we like more. I would rather have a SC4 than AF15.

Interesting statement. In theory, you could sell a AF15 in 8.0 and have enough money to buy a SC4 in 8.0 AND a BB28 in 8.0 with enough money left over to get a nice 6.5 FF1. So, I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm...