• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - ASM50 1ST KINGPIN GRADE IS IN

40 posts in this topic

One small crease on the corner will result 8.0 so your book has other small creases on the lower corner will take down to 7.0.

Tanning probably won't hurt the grade but it will impact on the Page Quality.

Any hidden defects may surprise us. No less than 6.5 for sure.

One small crease on the corner will result 8.0 so your book has other small creases on the lower corner will take down to 7.0.

This is incorrect tanning does not effect pq but does effect grade.

How will tanning effect the grade? I have two books with tanning but I still got 9.2 and 9.0 with cream to off white pages.

How will tanning effect the grade? I have two books with tanning but I still got 9.2 and 9.0 with cream to off white pages.

Tanned covers and bad interior page quality often occur together but cgc does not use the tanning to determine what the PQ is.

As for grade It is well documented that cgc detracts severely for tanning, so without the tanning your books may have graded higher. It also depends on when your books were graded as the emphasis cgc places on tanning when determining a grade has changed quite a bit over the years.

So basically it will effect the grade because cgc detracts for it. That your books received high grades is no proof that they did not deduct for the defect.

This is entirely correct, however, they tend to go hand-in-hand. Tanning is largely due to poor storage (excessively high heat - think Texas attic). PQ generally suffers from the same environment.

Often the CR to OW designation is generous at best. They hate to give out just plain cream, tan or brittle, but if they do . . . watch out.

Tanned covers and bad interior page quality often occur together but cgc does not use the tanning to determine what the PQ is.

As for grade It is well documented that cgc detracts severely for tanning, so without the tanning your books may have graded higher. It also depends on when your books were graded as the emphasis cgc places on tanning when determining a grade has changed quite a bit over the years.

So basically it will effect the grade because cgc detracts for it. That your books received high grades is no proof that they did not deduct for the defect.

Many overlook this aspect of the slabbed grade.

:bump: grade is in - shocking to say the least but the tanning may have hurt the book more than I anticipated

Very pretty book -- sorry that the grade wasn't as expected. Is there a lot of tanning to the interior covers?

Tanning shmanning, this book presents great!

Agreed.This is a great looking book, tanning restricting grades is one of the big frustrations (I got hammered on my Nick Fury, Agent Of Shield books). Old comics are old comics, tanning is an occupational hazard.

This is entirely correct, however, they tend to go hand-in-hand. Tanning is largely due to poor storage (excessively high heat - think Texas attic). PQ generally suffers from the same environment.

Often the CR to OW designation is generous at best. They hate to give out just plain cream, tan or brittle, but if they do . . . watch out.

That’s the problem – as I realized how tanning is related to degradation of page quality (although it is not always the case), I always tend to prefer books with more wear but nicer PQ. :)

Sorry for the disappointment, Hector, but it is a nice copy regardless.

Old comics are old comics, tanning is an occupational hazard.

Well, actually: not at all. It depends on the kind of aging, and the environmental factors.

I got quickly tired of VFNM-looking books which I was afraid to open, as PQ was degraded to a dangerous point (not the case here, but you’ll recognize one when you have it in hand). (thumbs u