• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,931 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2023 at 11:23 AM, pmpknface said:

For those of you that may not be familiar with it, this is the issue that the above image is from.  Not my copy, one that actually just came up for sale on the bay.  

s-l1600.jpg

Did LB Cole do other covers for indie companies in the 1980s, or was this kind of a one-off?

On 11/28/2023 at 2:29 PM, Point Five said:

Did LB Cole do other covers for indie companies in the 1980s, or was this kind of a one-off?

Only a few random things, not much other than that Dread cover and the Overstreet covers come to mind.  I believe he passed in 1995 so it's possible he wasn't too active towards the end.  In that CSN article the guy who ran the company that published a set of 3D books said he was a friend of Cole's and that's how he got him to do that cover.  

A quick search and this I was reminded of this one (yes, I have a copy):

image.png.6cd49c385b1bb313a4cc8b35305a8843.png

On 12/4/2023 at 9:07 AM, ThothAmon said:

Not a favorite per se, but it is a Cole. 

IMG_0434.jpeg

I LOVE Cole's early stuff.  The think, smooth black lines are so cool.  Don't sleep on the marbling at the bottom either!  This cover is nice, but of course the #3 is the best of the 3-issue run for the uniqueness alone.  

On 12/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, pmpknface said:

Lots of interesting Cole auctions lately.  Some interesting results on CC, and then I saw this:

image.thumb.png.275e52603148d55147a38df3095e8468.png

Anyone else think that's an impressive result for an incomplete .05 from the other guys?  

Impressive yes, surprising no. I didn't give it much thought until now but in my subconscious I guess I figured it would go for at least a grand. It looks ok. 

On 12/4/2023 at 12:40 PM, Professor K said:

Impressive yes, surprising no. I didn't give it much thought until now but in my subconscious I guess I figured it would go for at least a grand. It looks ok. 

Yes, looks are most important... apparently the centerfold isn't!  

On 12/7/2023 at 2:57 PM, Qua-Brot said:

Just got this in, looking for comps is not easy! ~3.5. Never realized how rare this and #5 are!

20231207_145134.jpg

Yes! When you see Popular Teenagers #5 or #6 it's almost always the Accepted Reprints version, which at this point people treat pretty much like the real thing. #6 also has that common-but-weird color variation with a magenta background and logo, where (I'm guessing) someone messed up in production and the printing plates got switched around. I think it's pretty rare to find a "regular" #6.  (thumbsu

On 12/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, Point Five said:

Yes! When you see Popular Teenagers #5 or #6 it's almost always the Accepted Reprints version, which at this point people treat pretty much like the real thing. #6 also has that common-but-weird color variation with a magenta background and logo, where (I'm guessing) someone messed up in production and the printing plates got switched around. I think it's pretty rare to find a "regular" #6.  (thumbsu

I'll vouch for this.  I passed on the ugly "pink" version for years of this one until I found a copy that I could live with.  In some cases the AP's are perfectly good substitutes (Pop #3 for example) but others aren't, like this one.  Another example is Cole #6, the horse-riding-bronco cover.  It's actually smaller than it should be, like it was trimmed on the right to a modern sized comic.  I don't have my Pop #6 within reach, but I noted that mine was about a 4.0.  

There are only 3 on the census at the moment, an 8 (!), 4, & a 3.  

On the AP rep there are 4:  7, 6, 5, and a 2.5.  

On 12/8/2023 at 1:38 AM, Darwination said:

A new one, kind of fell into my lap.

Another one of these swirling, drama of the mind romance covers - pretty good.  I like the funky patterns in the red at the top against the blue bottom.

20231205_150806.jpg

Busted link?  :(  

On 12/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, pmpknface said:

Busted link?  :(  

Hmm, shows for me.  I usually will toss an image on Discord if I see it showing moire through the site system.  Not to mention you get better resolution.  Will do it direct tho:

20231205_150806.thumb.jpg.4521eb45f338c11bcdcf20342a54450f.jpg

Moire in the preview - lets see if shows when I submit -

Edited by Darwination

On 12/8/2023 at 3:46 PM, Darwination said:

Hmm, shows for me.  I usually will toss an image on Discord if I see it showing moire through the site system.  Not to mention you get better resolution.  Will do it direct tho:

20231205_150806.thumb.jpg.4521eb45f338c11bcdcf20342a54450f.jpg

Moire in the preview - lets see if shows when I submit -

There it is!  I was wondering what issue you were describing!  I always thought the bunch of criss-cross lines in the red part was an interesting idea.  It's kind of lazy but cool at the same time.  

Yea, it happens with a few of your posts.  I can let you know if it happens again if you want.  Not trying to be annoying, but you post cool stuff and I WANNA SEE IT!  :foryou:

Off-topic mebbe, but I name-checked Cole on a blog post this week regarding William Ekgren who did a few very distinctive covers for St. John.  Cole is about the only comparison I could make:

http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/2023/12/william-ekgrens-cosmic-psychadelia-st.html