• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,925 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 10:41 AM, WolverineX said:

okay cool, thank you.  Debating if I even want to offload it since I like it so much but I love the Frazetta Famous Funnies run.  

It's a tough call.  It's not every day you part with (what I think is) a Gerber 7 book.  The new listing for the copy in January on HA has this nugget:

"While Overstreet lists issue #3 as "scarce", there are actually fewer CGC-graded copies of this issue, with only 23 Universal copies currently listed on the CGC Census. As well, per GPAnalysis, there have not been any public sales of CGC Universal copies above 2.5 since 2014! "

On 11/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, pmpknface said:

It's a tough call.  It's not every day you part with (what I think is) a Gerber 7 book.  The new listing for the copy in January on HA has this nugget:

"While Overstreet lists issue #3 as "scarce", there are actually fewer CGC-graded copies of this issue, with only 23 Universal copies currently listed on the CGC Census. As well, per GPAnalysis, there have not been any public sales of CGC Universal copies above 2.5 since 2014! "

Geez, I guess I"ll trade my blue 114 and Ghost Adventure 14 instead?  A GA sacrifice will have to be made.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:08 AM, WolverineX said:

Geez, I guess I"ll trade my blue 114 and Ghost Adventure 14 instead?  

Whoa whoa WHOA, just hold on here! Let's not get hysterical!  :ohnoez: 

On 11/17/2023 at 12:39 PM, WolverineX said:

haha, suspense 4, Blue bolt 114, GA 14.  Which one should I let go.  

Hold them all and sell some Wolverine and X-Men.  :wishluck:

On 11/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, pmpknface said:

Also, I've been playing with the CGC census the last few weeks.  I know there are some of you that regularly post here have been adding to the census for some time (and have some killer stuff!) but I've just recently started filling out some sets.  I've decided to make a custom set of just Cole books that I'm still working on.  I'm missing some scans and I've got a bunch more to still get graded but here's what I've got so far if anyone would like to take a look: 

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=33753

Um. Wow!  (worship) 

Since we're sharing, here's mine (thought I had a scan, but just took a few pics for the moment):

GetImage.aspx?c=5762806&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

Also, I've been playing with the CGC census the last few weeks.  I know there are some of you that regularly post here have been adding to the census for some time (and have some killer stuff!) but I've just recently started filling out some sets.  I've decided to make a custom set of just Cole books that I'm still working on.  I'm missing some scans and I've got a bunch more to still get graded but here's what I've got so far if anyone would like to take a look: 

Beautiful.  Here's mine and you are making me not want to sell now.  

20230902_162648.thumb.jpg.7c4ddf22b82640805a76d35185205677.jpg

Since we're sharing, here's mine (thought I had a scan, but just took a few pics for the moment):

I was looking at LB Cole books with a fellow collector today, and we were both stumped at the total number of his GA comic book covers. 

Do you know how many there were?

On 11/17/2023 at 10:40 PM, adamstrange said:

I was looking at LB Cole books with a fellow collector today, and we were both stumped at the total number of his GA comic book covers. 

Do you know how many there were?

Somewhere ages ago I read an estimate that his total comic covers numbered in the 500s. From today's standpoint that feels a bit low, but I'm unsure if it really is or not. The classic covers everyone thinks of when they think of him (horror, jungle, sci-fi, romance etc) might number a few hundred, but there's oddball stuff like Four Most, D ick Cole, westerns, sports and all the funny animal books to bump up the numbers. Jaime may have a more thorough answer.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:51 PM, Point Five said:

Somewhere ages ago I read an estimate that his total comic covers numbered in the 500s. From today's standpoint that feels a bit low, but I'm unsure if it really is or not. The classic covers everyone thinks of when they think of him (horror, jungle, sci-fi, romance etc) might number a few hundred, but there's oddball stuff like Four Most, D ick Cole, westerns, sports and all the funny animal books to bump up the numbers. Jaime may have a more thorough answer.

It was rumored once that he did something like 1,500 - but I think that estimate is too high.  I think maybe that if you added his comics, pulps, etc... even commissions - everything he did then maybe you'd reach that number.  I've lost count of how many books of his I have but it's somewhere around 450 (maybe higher) - and I know I'm missing some.  

Yes, he did do a bunch of 4 Most's and Blue Bolts (before it got "Weird") but not all of them, just a handful.  Similar to the number of Target Comics he did, really just a handful towards the end.  But then he did interiors for books (4 Favorites, Ellery Queen are 2 that come to mind) that he didn't cover (often).  Terrific Comics is another of those.  Even a few Ave romance books.  

The odd 1-shots and random covers are where it gets hard to pin down, especially when you add in the pulps.  You've got 1-shots like "Bingo Comics" and "Tailspin." There's the "Wit & Wisdom" type of thing, the "Adventures in Space" oversized book, and I even have one he did for supermarket shopping!  There's the activity books like the "Sex all over the World" and "How to do Magic" books and even 2 Overstreet covers.  

The pulps get really interesting...   We've all see a handful of the "sexy" pulps that have popped up on the boards here and there, as he was knows to sign a few.  However (and I could do a whole thread on this)  think there's a ton out there that he didn't sign.  You can see who he worked for and the various styles he used and see what "may" have been his work.  Cole was known to use various styles so I think there are a ton out there that don't have his name (maybe because of the content?) that we could add to the pile.  

LOOOOOOOOOONG story short, if we dubbed him the "Man of 1,000 covers" I think it would be pretty accurate.  (thumbsu

Anyone got any other thoughts on the subject I'd love to hear it!  :peace:

Thanks guys, 1500 must be the number I've seen tossed around, not 500. Just off by a little. doh!

I'm curious though what that number would look like if we stuck strictly to comic covers, filtering out the activity books and pulps and whatnot. Maybe some rainy day I'll figure it out. 

Jaime, would love to see some of those gray-area pulp covers sometime. (thumbsu

On 11/18/2023 at 8:55 AM, Point Five said:

we stuck strictly to comic covers

I'm most interested in GA comic covers as he also drew for Dell in the Silver Age.

I checked the Blacklight book hoping it would have a full listing of his art but no such luck.  It's still helpful as it includes so many images that it should make it easier to find them all.

Edited by adamstrange