• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

6,318 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2024 at 1:20 AM, Darwination said:

I think this is great - the shattered glass in the title logo and the half green, semi-grotesque screaming faces.  Bad vibes, man, bad vibes 😬

Did that signed Cole go a lot higher than you thought it would?  I honestly wasn't surprised at the price but that's just cuz I see the comics prices.  I've got no idea what's up with the digests and other oddities...

He did some cool crash covers!  

Well, it did in a sense.  With 12 seconds it was at $8, so I bid $50 and then I think $70 so it was a surprise to see it jump that much.  But that's also as much as it's worth to me because I have a few sigs.  It's also personalized, so that could take some away from the total.  I thought it was pretty fair, but I think his paperbacks are undervalued.  It was a give in 1 direction, take in another.  Overall a good pickup for a fan.  

Just got this one in today so I'll make it tonight's book.  This is a reprint book from 1992.

Anti_Hitler_1a.jpg

But why have a book that's got a cover from Great Comics #3?  Well, because it also reprints the Unknown Soldier story from Four Favorites #12 with amazing Cole art!  :D 

Anti_Hitler_1b.jpg

There are also some cool articles in the back with some backstory as to what was going on at the time and why they are important stories.  Cool stuff!  

Edited by pmpknface

I'm starting to forget what I've posted recently!  However I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this one.  I don't know how I found this, likely ebay.  And how in the world I got 2 copies I'll never know.  One even has a dust jacket!  That one underneath is different, just mostly solid blue.  Here, LB does Robins!

Robins_1966a.jpg

Robins_1966b.jpg

On 8/31/2024 at 12:27 AM, Darwination said:

Why does this very wholesome 1950  funny animal title just make me think LSD

Lots of his covers do, really, but man, oh, man...

All those colors!!!

I just noticed... on the side banner: all the toys, games, and on the bottom- a pocket knife!?! Excellent!

On 8/31/2024 at 12:27 AM, Darwination said:

Why does this very wholesome 1950  funny animal title just make me think LSD

Lots of his covers do, really, but man, oh, man...

Truly reminds me of a warped, alternate universe Warner Bros/Disney cartoon or something.

Edited by LadyDeath

On 8/31/2024 at 12:35 AM, pmpknface said:

I just noticed... on the side banner: all the toys, games, and on the bottom- a pocket knife!?! Excellent!

Crazy, right? Back then kids were taught more responsibility with such things. Toys and sports went hand in hand with fun and recreation. For a kid that enjoyed camping and fishing, learning how to properly use and handle a knife was essential. (thumbsu

On 8/31/2024 at 8:10 AM, Jayman said:

Crazy, right? Back then kids were taught more responsibility with such things. Toys and sports went hand in hand with fun and recreation. For a kid that enjoyed camping and fishing, learning how to properly use and handle a knife was essential. (thumbsu

A pocket knife was essential to me as a kid. I got one in Boy Scouts. It was useful in so many ways. I carried one way into adulthood until I started flying in airplanes. Now days, I often carry a box cutter. Just in case…

My grandpops carried one every day of his life.  I still have 3 or 4 he gave me over the years (along with a few watches), as he viewed them as essential man items. 

He sure loved to get that knife out when you had a box that needed opening :D

I travel very light but on very rare occasions will stick my trusty "banana knife" from my tool belt in my pocket

20240831_113854.thumb.jpg.7cd0627eb1fa92a81de79d770e9a8df0.jpg

That puppy has seen some ACTION. 

Err, not slicing people but shingles, cutting caulk lines, shaping wood, sharpening pencils, etc :roflmao:

I live in Memphis, though, last thing you want to do is bring a knife to a gunfight :yeehaw:

On 8/31/2024 at 11:21 AM, Robot Man said:

A pocket knife was essential to me as a kid. I got one in Boy Scouts. It was useful in so many ways. I carried one way into adulthood until I started flying in airplanes. Now days, I often carry a box cutter. Just in case…

I got a swiss army knife in the 3rd grade... on Easter!  :D  I keep one by me whenever I'm at home, it's 2 feet from me now.  I don't carry it, but I'll take it travelling.  Even my wife is surprised how often I use it.  

This one arrived today.  Cole does Superman!  There's only a 1 page article on him though, and refers to the article on Cole in Overstreet #11.  However among his accomplishments it actually mentions the Robins book I posted above!  I thought that was cool.  :cool:  

Overstreet_18a.jpg

On 8/31/2024 at 11:33 PM, pmpknface said:

This one arrived today.  Cole does Superman!  There's only a 1 page article on him though, and refers to the article on Cole in Overstreet #11.  However among his accomplishments it actually mentions the Robins book I posted above!  I thought that was cool.  :cool:  

Overstreet_18a.jpg

Somehow, despite the deep dive I've done over the years exploring Cole's most obscure works, including all of his paperback covers, and having owned many copies of Overstreet 11 over the years, this Overstreet cover was completely off my radar. It's pretty cool!

On 9/1/2024 at 11:31 PM, pmpknface said:

I have the entire run graded now except this beauty that just arrived. Yes, I'd like to upgrade V1 #10 and V2 #11 but I can worry about that later. Until then, I've got my run!

From heritage right? You got it pretty quick! Congrats. (thumbsu