• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,904 posts in this topic

Welcome to GA, and the world of LB Cole! Outside of a handful of issues, most of his books can be had for under $50 in low-mid grade, and even the most desirable of his covers are relatively chep in LG (compared to mainstream GA superhero titles). The Blue Bolt run covers his two best genres (sci-fi and horror) and is a worthy goal! (thumbs u

I'm kinda partial to his Startling Terror Tales covers. But you can't go wrong with any Cole covers, really (thumbs u

Angelo

One rarely sees this book - Is it one of the harder to find issues?

7-12 seem to be a little more available than the earlier issues, with 4 being the toughest (IMHO). hm

Banner;

Well, it appears that you are certainly right with your assessment of the Suspense run here. (thumbs u

According to the current CGC census numbers, the first 6 issues of the Suspense run generally has a population census in the single digits only with issue #4 the lowest at only 3 unrestored copies graded. The last 6 issues of the run, however, generally has a population census in the double digits with issue #8 the highest with a total of 19 unrestored issues graded.

Interesting to note, however, that although issue #8 comes in with the most copies, the highest graded copy is only a 7.0 which is quite a bit lower than the highest graded copies in all of the other issues in the run. Maybe the classic Spider cover just made it so much more tempting for the buyers to open the book and actually read it. hm

Interesting to note, however, that although issue #8 comes in with the most copies, the highest graded copy is only a 7.0 which is quite a bit lower than the highest graded copies in all of the other issues in the run. Maybe the classic Spider cover just made it so much more tempting for the buyers to open the book and actually read it. hm

I just perused GPA, and there's at least one higher graded restored copy (probably more). Beat copies of #8 show up raw on ebay occasionally (I believe there's one up there now), but you rarely see a decent copy available. Interestingly, GPA shows several of the Suspense Mile High copies have changed hands, not to me though. :sorry:

I definitely don't think #8 is the most common Suspense Comics issue.

I would say that honor goes to #7, #9 or #12. I've seen many, many copies of #9 for sale. I think #8 is more likely to be slabbed than those three books because of the classic cover.

Edited by *paull*

Nice to see the action in this thread lately!

I love the Suspense Comics run. I've been looking for an #11 for five or six years now, and if money were no object I'd collect the whole run.

Here's the Suspense I do own.... :whistle:

1231507-suspensecomics10.jpg

Are all Suspense Comics issues prone to spine brittleness? A number of the Suspense #8s I've seen (mine included) have brittle or split spines.

.5, nice colors on that #10!

Edited by *paull*

Are all Suspense Comics issues prone to spine brittleness? A number of the Suspense #8s I've seen (mine included) have brittle or split spines.

That's a really interesting question, and I wish I had an answer! Having looked at so many LG Suspenses over the years, I know just what you mean about the spines. Never thought of the paper stock as a possible culprit before.

.5, nice colors on that #10!

Thanks!

Posted before and not a comic, but a seldom seen Cole cover...

Wit & Wisdom # 4

Has anyone posted Patches # 1?

I just picked up a copy. It's always been one of my top 3 Cole covers.

Post it, Gary. I'm not even remotely familiar with that cover.

Angelo

I love the Suspense Comics run. I've been looking for an #11 for five or six years now, and if money were no object I'd collect the whole run.

Nice clean looking copy of #10; it's an issue I don't have yet.

As for #11, there's a BIN copy on ebay I've been tracking for a while. I'm annoyed that the seller has not been able to provide larger scans or pictures of the book, which is why I haven't bought it.

That's a really interesting question, and I wish I had an answer! Having looked at so many LG Suspenses over the years, I know just what you mean about the spines. Never thought of the paper stock as a possible culprit before.

That's actually a very good point about the spine on the Suspense #8's.

I believe the black cover also really makes it hard to find a true HG copy. Every HG copy that I have seen seems to have the white fraying running down the black spine. Not sure if this is a production issue and this could possibly explain the absence of any HG copies in the CGC census.

Actually, if the white fraying is a result of the low quality production process, I thought CGC would give less weight to a production defect such as this. (shrug)

Good point... maybe it's because the cover is black (a combination of the three inks) that causes the problem on Suspense #8. I've seen instances of this book with a completely split or very brittle spine edge. Mine is very delicate and I won't even open the book.

I can't remember the last time, if ever, I've seen a copy of Suspense #8 for sale in a condition above 4.0. Maybe there was a Davis Crippen copy...

Edited by *paull*

My favorite cover of the run - and the only issue I own as well.

Most Cole fans have seen this digest cover before....

....but how often have you seen a book signed by L.B. Cole?

Wow, it's just like the signature on the cover :baiting:

Seriously, that's pretty impressive. Wish I had a book with his sig on it (worship)