• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

I'm only one episode in, but the show works.

I love they tied in the avengers 1 battle as such a key plot point.

Where did you see that in the first episode?

I didn't see any tie-ins until episode 4.

Where? Unless you mean the part about putting people through buildings?

The reconstruction of Hell's Kitchen.

Just watched the first two episodes. Pretty decent, I'll probably watch the whole season, not just tonight.

I haven't watched any of the other comic book TV shows, though both Agent Carter and Gotham sound interesting. How would folks rank those in comparison to Daredevil?

Just watched the first two episodes. Pretty decent, I'll probably watch the whole season, not just tonight.

I haven't watched any of the other comic book TV shows, though both Agent Carter and Gotham sound interesting. How would folks rank those in comparison to Daredevil?

I will consider Agent Carter as a waste of time if you compare it to DD

Yeah. There's nothing really to compare to DD. Agent carter I thought was better than Agents of Shield at least.

Yeah. There's nothing really to compare to DD. Agent carter I thought was better than Agents of Shield at least.

Gotham is a great show. DD is a lot darker and has a completely different feel though

Where? Unless you mean the part about putting people through buildings?

The reconstruction of Hell's Kitchen.

Ah, that was the only thing I could think of. My problem is the Avengers is so bright and colorful and this show is almost black and white, I find it hard to associate them. I'm not saying I don't think I'll enjoy this...but I loved the Avengers movies, they were pure fun.

I've only seen one episode of this so far, and I like it, but I LOVED Agent Carter. It seemed like a really well run production and just more upbeat. The pace was different, it had a lot of fighting, but it was different not as brutal, more choreographed, I think it was partly the music.

I enjoy shows that are entertaining and more upbeat. I can't quite get into all the punching and bleeding. It seems everyone is bleeding...but I'm going to try a few more.

My husband said it's "OK" but he will try another one and he's not a comic book person. He kind of liked the Ben Affleck version.

It's probably because Flash and Arrow have more of a comic book/superhero feel to me, that so far, I like them better.

As for Gotham, I just love the whole Batman thing and Alfred...even though he's not really the Alfred I read about in my books, I like this character...reminds me of a younger Michael Caine Alfred...and I like that version better.

I've watched episodes 1-3. The show flat out rocks!

Anyone else notice any Pulp Fiction similarities?

JRS5yS8.png

The father is even told to "go down in the fifth" and asked to repeat it just like Marsellus did with Butch.

I'm curious if there are any other Pulp Fiction Easter Eggs in there. hm

It's referenced a couple of times. When Matt first interviews Karen in his office on tape she mentioned "all that money that came in when half the city was destroyed, every cent went to allied United" or whatever kingpins front corporation was called. That was vague but when they said "half the city" I knew it wasn't 9/11 they were referring to.

Also. Later when all the various bad guy bosses (also with allied United) are meeting inside the building under construction the old guy is explaining how they should be happy there's some vigilante in a mask running around stirring things up. He says "another hero, the last time heroes tried to do something it gave us all of this" referring to rebuilding the city. He's referring to the avengers battle that destroyed or damaged all those buildings that they got the cash to rebuild.

The avengers battle gave rise to the kingpins empire or at least pumped billions into it.

It's referenced a couple of times. When Matt first interviews Karen in his office on tape she mentioned "all that money that came in when half the city was destroyed, every cent went to allied United" or whatever kingpins front corporation was called. That was vague but when they said "half the city" I knew it wasn't 9/11 they were referring to.

Also. Later when all the various bad guy bosses (also with allied United) are meeting inside the building under construction the old guy is explaining how they should be happy there's some vigilante in a mask running around stirring things up. He says "another hero, the last time heroes tried to do something it gave us all of this" referring to rebuilding the city. He's referring to the avengers battle that destroyed or damaged all those buildings that they got the cash to rebuild.

The avengers battle gave rise to the kingpins empire or at least pumped billions into it.

I mentioned it earlier, but IMDB says it is supposed to take place post Age of Ultron. I'd love to see a soured on that though, if anyone has... I don't understand why Marvel wouldn't just wait out the month.

There was also a statement made (sorry..quoting from memory) "every time one of these guys gets pushed through a building our margins go up" (or something to that effect). I thought it referenced both superheros and corruption.

There was also a statement made (sorry..quoting from memory) "every time one of these guys gets pushed through a building our margins go up" (or something to that effect). I thought it referenced both superheros and corruption.

Just found a link referencing this...

10 Things to Know About the Netflix ‘Daredevil’ TV Series

Early On, There Are Lot of References to the Avengers

Daredevil very much takes place in a post-Avengers 1 world. Minutes into the first episode, the characters talk about the alien invasion of New York City as “The Incident.” Several of the villains in the show are profiting from reconstruction of the city after “The Incident.” There’s a reference to the fact every time a superhero smashes someone through a wall, company margins go up 3%. Ben Urich’s office has a newspaper headline about the Battle of New York. A few episodes in, one of Wilson Fisk’s men says he isn’t worried about a man in a mask because he’s doesn’t have an iron suit or use a magic hammer.

Gotham is a great show. DD is a lot darker and has a completely different feel though.

It's totally unlike episodic network tv imho, which is basically a 4-act-play format. Daredevil presents more like it was conceived, written and shot as a "Graphic Novel" comprised of 13 chapters. Every frame advanced the story.

To me Daredevil felt like experiencing something both new and better. Emphasis on 'Better'. A 13-hour-movie format for comic book storytelling. A near perfect medium for live-action comic book arcs.

Anyone else thinking the Netflix "season-at-once" format is the best medium for live-action comic book storytelling so far?