• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about the violence; I definitely don't want kids watching Daredevil.

I just wish there was more of a desire to write better scripts. It's clear that the CW doesn't give a minimal mess about plausibility (like in the Flash, how there is a goddamned particle accelerator in the middle of downtown Portland...I mean "Star City"), much less three-dimensional characters, continuity, historical context.

I just don't think it's a false dichotomy: Surely you can have a show as well-written as Walking Dead or Daredevil without all the horrendous violence.

So 2 day binge then wait a year or more for new episodes....I guess it's no different than watching a movie and waiting 1.5 years for the sequel

Rewatch the show! Whenever the new seasons of House of Cards comes out, my wife and I rematch the season slowly for about a month leading up to it.

Have that many people never binge watched a show? There seems to be a lot of confusion with it. I haven't had cable for years so my wife and I have been binge watching shows for the last 7 or 8 years, I guess.

Apparently so. Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely ridiculous in regards to this concept and number of episodes. It's comparable to most other shows of this format. If you are comparing it to regular TV shows it falls in the middle in length of total minutes for an average show for a season. Over the years the total number of episodes for a TV shows season has deceased, especially with the expansion of sports playoffs. IE Tree House of Horror in November due to baseball..

The black mask is obviously see through because he needs to be able to see...at least what he can see through his eyes.

And the same for the red mask. Eye holes so he can see the shapes, colors whatever he sees.

I'm on episode 10 with the rest happening tonight.

So so good!

I'm up to ep 4 right now. I think Matt/Daredevil is well acted and good choreography.

I'm not sold on Fisk yet. I've always thought the character more refined then to throw a temper tantrum cause his date didn't go as planned. Came off a bit childish. I'm also not digging some of the ultra violence. It really wasn't necessary to the other to have him slam the door into the guy like that. Or the exposed rib cracking, showing protruding bones. I don't like superheroes being so kid unfriendly. We never had to see Nolan 's Joker mutilate someone on screen to know what he was capable of. Sometimes the power of suggestion is better than showing graphic violence.

Edited by Vexsus

Vincent D'Onofrio is exceptional here... and he stands out in this series. His vocal tone, his mannerisms, his anger... all perfect for this role.

He is literally "bottled rage" as the Kingpin.

I will never look at my SUV car door the same again :o

xxx ooo

Rupp

That scene was crazy !.

I'm not talking about the violence; I definitely don't want kids watching Daredevil.

I just wish there was more of a desire to write better scripts. It's clear that the CW doesn't give a minimal mess about plausibility (like in the Flash, how there is a goddamned particle accelerator in the middle of downtown Portland...I mean "Star City"), much less three-dimensional characters, continuity, historical context.

I just don't think it's a false dichotomy: Surely you can have a show as well-written as Walking Dead or Daredevil without all the horrendous violence.

Yes, you can.

It would be called 'The Good Wife' or 'Elementary'.

And then there's plenty of shows for kids...Arrow or Flash will do the trick.

There is a place for everything, and Daredevil fits this style.

And I actually think that in some ways, it is less disturbing to have one man beaten to a bloody death than to have tens of thousands wiped from existence due to alien invasion or a Superman/Zod battle.

The levels of disassociation required for that level of carnage is, IMHO, somewhat concerning for our young.

I disagree with this notion Daredevil should be gritty just because it can. If they held back on the super graphic things the plot would not suffer in the slightest. What does it honestly gain from protruding bones and smashed bodies? I think DD is in fact important to be accessible to kids because he is a disabled hero. Disabled kids should be able to enjoy DD as a symbol of overcoming that.

Edited by Vexsus

I disagree with this notion Daredevil should be gritty just because it can. If they held back on the super graphic things the plot would not suffer in the slightest. What does it honestly gain from protruding bones and smashed bodies? I think DD is in fact important to be accessible to kids because he is a disabled hero. Disabled kids should be able to enjoy DD as a symbol of overcoming that.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Every superhero series/film could be made for kids...that doesn't mean that they should be. There's a place for this sort of 'feel' and I think Daredevil...his background, his location, his limitations...fits it perfectly.

It's no coincidence that this series shows up Arrow/Flash/etc for the lightweight fluff that it is.

As for the violence 'not being necessary', yes and no. Without the scene with the car door, would we have seen Fisk in quite the same light?

I think not.

As for 'smashed bodies', would you prefer tens of thousands of people being annihilated with little more than a cursory shrug? Is that a 'better' message for kids? (shrug)

I'm sure it's ok for blind kids to watch, with the sound down.

The difference, again is the power of offscreen suggestion. Take my Joker example from The Dark Knight when he kills Gambol with the knife in his mouth we don't see anything. We know what he did we don't have to see his face torn up. It would add nothing to the character of the Joker to have seen Gambol's mutilated face onscreen. And that is the sort of approach to violence I would prefer to see. Would you have seen Fisk differently if that scene proceeded mostly the same but didn't have the squashed brains spill out and bloody rain? That's the edge of going too far in my opinion.

Edited by Vexsus

The difference, again is the power of offscreen suggestion. Take my Joker example from The Dark Knight when he kills Gambol with the knife in his mouth we don't see anything. We know what he did we don't have to see his face torn up. It would add nothing to the character of the Joker to have seen Gambol's mutilated face onscreen. And that is the sort of approach to violence I would prefer to see. Would you have seen Fisk differently if that scene proceeded mostly the same but didn't have the squashed brains spill out and bloody rain? That's the edge of going too far in my opinion.

I gotta agree. My guess is because some things about DD are cheesy they felt they had make what they could as adult as possible. It's make some people say "Wow this ain't no show for kids!" and then then they look past some of the cheese aspects like his name and lack or powers or whatever.

I gotta agree. My guess is because some things about DD are cheesy they felt they had make what they could as adult as possible. It's make some people say "Wow this ain't no show for kids!" and then then they look past some of the cheese aspects like his name and lack or powers or whatever.

Have either of you read Miller, Bendis, or Brubakers' runs?

Next on the list. I've read waids stuff and I know its super cheery compared. Maybe I dreamed this lol but I swear I read an old DD book once and kingpin or someone had turned his GF into crack whore in mexico or something ridiculous. Made me think of what happened to my ex wife. That's some brutal . I need to find that...

Just finished it all as well…that was a fantastic ending!!!

Sucks that we have to wait another year for season two!!!

There hasn't been any movement on a season 2.

Jessica Jones aires next year at this same time, then Luke Cage in 2017, then the Defenders in 2018.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Daredevil-Return-Season-2-Here-What-Showrunner-Says-71082.html

I *hope* there is a season 2, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet and Marvel hasn't said anything official yet that I'm aware of... AFAIK, these were all planned as one-shots.

I have absolutely no idea. No matter what show you do, there’s always a possibility of a second season. Nothing’s been talked about, nothing’s been decided. If I had my druthers, would we do a second season? Sure, I think it would warrant it. In regards to The Defenders and how that works, I think it would work pretty much like the movies. You could do season 1 of Daredevil, you do season 2, and depending on where the other shows fall, you might get second season of Jessica Jones… There’s really no way of telling, it’s really a grand experiment.
Edited by sl4ppy

jessica jones is filming now. it is set to air at the end of this year from what i understand.

what we all know is that it is money driven. i think from what is happening they may change their plans a little

Guys- They are doing a Jessica Jones season slated to be released by the end of the year. Then a Luke Cage and Iron Fist after that. Then they will have all the characters in The Defenders- also a Netflix series.

Netflix has been doing the 1 year season thing for a while. House of Cards has been immensely successful and it is released every year around Valentines Day.

Edited by Official Chris S.

+1 They gave us DD 100 percent ......ABOUT TIME !! Edited by paul747