• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boardies vs. Graders

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

So I recently got some books graded by CGC (I've been getting books graded by CGC since 2005), and can't help but feel like they dropped the ball this time. So I wanted to cover up the numbers and see what you all give these books. I understand that you can only see the front and back, but I have seen the insides and there isn't much to detract.

So, what do you think?

Justice League of America 4 JusticeLeagueofAmerica4Frontcrop_zps23d5f945.jpg

JusticeLeagueofAmerica4Back_zpsdff247d7.jpg

Flash 123

Flash123Frontcrop_zpsf75e964d.jpg

Flash123Back_zps4677fa9a.jpg

Showcase 22

Showcase22FrontCrop_zps8cce8652.jpg

Shocase22Back_zps8feaafdf.jpg

Interesting. Definitely opening my eyes about the slight center crease and how much damage that does.

Thanks for the insight guys. Hopefully a few more people will weigh in and then I'll reveal the grades later tonight.

Meaning no disrespect to these books, I would hope CGC hammers a book length subscription crease. The crease is smack in the middle of the book and screams out at you. Even if CGC gave a gift grade I would think they would be tough to sell. To me subscription crease = reading copy. These books should not be any higher than 4.0 with SC 22 even lower. Sorry.

I guess my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, I didn't even notice the sub crease on the JLA or Flash. Not fun getting old now that I Increased the size I can see it but that JLA sure looks beautiful didn't realize a sub crease would knock it down that much. (shrug)

Alright everyone, the grades CGC gave these books are:

5.0 for the JLA

4.0 for the Flash

and 3.0 for the Showcase.

Thanks for your insight and grades!

Such nice looking books. Nice colour and the spines and outer edges are quite nice, especially the first two.

Unfortunately a sub crease pretty well brings a book down to the 4.0 area. It is a colour breaking crease running the whole length of the book throughout the book. I had them at 4.5, 4.0 and 3.5.

Alright everyone, the grades CGC gave these books are:

5.0 for the JLA

4.0 for the Flash

and 3.0 for the Showcase.

Thanks for your insight and grades!

I'd be happy with those grades. My posted grade was for the JLA. The Flash I'd definitely have considered no more than 3.5, and the GL seems about right.