• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman Movie!

324 posts in this topic

Diamond is the source of all sales data.

This is not true.

I was refering to the sales charting websites, and yes it is.

1. If you were referring to sales charting websites, you should have said that, and...

2. ...it's still not true.

You wont find the sales charts you are looking for on sandman, because the book predates the kind of publicly available records they are made from.

This is also not true.

true until proven not true, link a website showing the sales charts from 1989.

lol

As strange as this may sound, there are other reference materials besides "the internet."

lol

explaining his error in understanding is a waste of time, "picture or it didnt happen" covers it just fine.

no time for word games and semantic debates, he can back up his proclamations or move on

lol

Apparently, you're unfamiliar with the concept of "burden of proof."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

To help: I am not making a "proclamation"...I am challenging your proclamations.

:popcorn:

alright you know what, screw it, i'll take the bait, and respond to the kiddie word semantic nerd debate, JUST FOR the sake of the people who actually want real answers and dont care about non-self aware, falsely inflated ego, Comic General trolling garbage:

COMIC SALES DATA

=================

The original request was for a website showing sales charts from 1989.

My Answer:

------------------

You will not find such a website, there are two main sources that people on the internet use for referencing sales data.

ICV2

-http://www.icv2.com/search/index.php?q=comics

ComicChron

-http://www.comichron.com/

Many people falsely believe these sites originate data for the sales charts being asked about. They do not, the monthly sales data are conversions of the diamond sales index available to all people with diamond account (top 100 available without account), converted using a formula to get an estimate of the PRINT RUN NUMBERS.

The Diamond Numbers are the significant totality of the sales figures, other sources virtually irrelevant. If people want to know the limitations and other issues with the sales charts from these sites, they can research it themselves but that is NOT WHAT WAS ASKED.

(Side note, like the CGC Forum, I have been using and reading comichron(CBGExtra originally), long before any 2005 n00b start dates. I am fully aware of their methods, research, and efforts to continue bringing older sales data to light. None of that is relevant to the OPs question, nor was asked.)

The data prior to the years that are available on these and similar sites, involves pulling together multiple sources, doing research, and lots of estimations. This is well established, and also irrelevant to the OP seeking public (WHICH MEANS ON THE INTERNET AND READILY AVAILABLE, NOT THAT ITS TOP SECRET OR HASNT BEEN RESEARCHED/TALKED ABOUT) data.

============================

So, dbag trollers can troll on, I am helping the person with what they actually asked. Other people are playing semantic games, everything i said was true, no one has given one shred of proof otherwise.

and to the OP, i messaged the DC editor, asking him to share what he knows, we'll see if he answers.

lol

To help: I am not making a "proclamation"...I am challenging your proclamations.

troll on lil fella, if you have some facts to share feel free, otherwise keep posting that popcorn and lacking that self-awareness

lol

explaining his error in understanding is a waste of time, "picture or it didnt happen" covers it just fine.

no time for word games and semantic debates, he can back up his proclamations or move on

lol

Actually, he doesn't have to do either.

alright you know what, screw it, i'll take the bait, and respond to the kiddie word semantic nerd debate, JUST FOR the sake of the people who actually want real answers and dont care about non-self aware, falsely inflated ego, Comic General trolling garbage:

You seem to have a penchant for taking any challenge to your statements/positions/postulations as attacks against you, CBT, as a person.

There is no "bait", I am challenging a single post in a vast sea of misinformation that is posted here on a daily basis, by many people. I am not trying to anger or upset you in any way...it wouldn't have mattered if the name on the post was "CBT" or "Branget" or "Park" or whomever.

Well, ok, Park I would have called to tell him he was a chowderhead, but that's only because I love him like a brother... ;)

I try very, very hard to make sure that anything I say to anyone is accurate, as accurate as it can be, and I don't get upset when someone corrects me, because my self-esteem is not tied into what I know.

I want accurate information to be out there, I desire that knowledge is increased...that's my goal.

If my goal was to troll you, there are far more effective...and subtle...ways of doing it.

If you think your observations and comments are important enough to share with the world...and this is not a bad thing...you have to be prepared to have them challenged. Trust me: the true will withstand ANY challenge because it's TRUE, and the false should be discarded anyways, not held onto as a matter of individual pride.

My advice to you would simply be this: if you can't handle being challenged without being personally offended...and though I consider this a personality flaw, it is not an egregious one...don't post things that are debatable.

And I say that not in a spirit of malice or smug superiority, but in earnest encouragement.

I've spent the last two years on this message board learning how to keep my mouth shut. It's not a bad thing. ;)

COMIC SALES DATA

=================

The original request was for a website showing sales charts from 1989.

My Answer:

------------------

You will not find such a website, there are two main sources that people on the internet use for referencing sales data.

ICV2

-http://www.icv2.com/search/index.php?q=comics

ComicChron

-http://www.comichron.com/

That is correct; there is no such website that has this information.

That does not mean, however, that such information does not exist, and is not easily obtainable. It does, and it is.

Many people falsely believe these sites originate data for they sales charts being asked about. They do not, the monthly sales data are conversions of the diamond sales index available to all people with diamond account (top 100 available without account), converted using a formula to get an estimate of the PRINT RUN NUMBERS.

The Diamond Numbers are the significant totality of the sales figures, other sources virtually irrelevant.

This is not true.

Newsstand sales have not been reported for the majority of the last 20 years, and yet newsstand sales make up a significant amount of the actual sales of books like, for example, Archie.

Consider Archie #617, which had a SOO printed in it. Let's then consider Diamond's numbers for that issue:

Sales of the issue printed nearest to the filing of the SOO (not quite accurate, but close enough for gov't work) - 18,545

Diamond's numbers for Archie #617 - 11,358.

That means, according to the numbers that Archie presents to the Feds, they sell around 11,000 copies via the DM, and another SEVEN THOUSAND via newsstands...roughly 40% of all SALES, then, are NEWSSTAND sales.

Hardly "virtually irrelevant" numbers, wouldn't you agree?

And that doesn't even get into Digests, which are far and away Archie's best sellers, selling nearly a HUNDRED THOUSAND each month at the newsstand...not even in Diamond's top 300, if even available THROUGH Diamond at all!

And we have no idea what other books sell for at the newsstand, because DC and Marvel are no longer telling. But it is certainly not "virtually irrelevant" numbers, or they would not be doing it at all. They are clearly *enough* to support the existing business model, with numbers that are, sadly, no longer available to the general public.

If people want to know the limitations and other issues with the sales charts from these sites, they can research it themselves but that is NOT WHAT WAS ASKED.

(Side note, like the CGC Forum, I have been using and reading comichron(CBGExtra originally), long before any 2005 n00b start dates. I am fully aware of their methods, research, and efforts to continue bringing older sales data to light. None of that is relevant to the OPs question, nor was asked.)

The data prior to the years that are available on these and similar sites, involves pulling together multiple sources, doing research, and lots of estimations. This is well established, and also irrelevant to OP seeking public (WHICH MEANS ON THE INTERNET AND READILY AVAILABLE, NOT THAT ITS TOP SECRET OR HASNT BEEN RESEARCHED TALKED ABOUT)

One more time: there are other reference materials...published, readily available, not secret in any way...that are NOT "the internet."

So, dbag trollers can troll on, I am helping the person with what they actually asked. Other people are playing semantic games, everything i said was true, no one has given one shred of proof otherwise.

Again...if you can't handle being challenged without resorting to namecalling, it's better FOR YOU if you didn't post at all. Understand that I'm not telling you not to post...I'm saying that everyone should be able to post without taking things personally that are not personal in nature, and if you cannot, for your own sake, you should probably refrain from posting.

lol

troll on lil fella, if you have some facts to share feel free, otherwise keep posting that popcorn and lacking that self-awareness

:)

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot imagine a Sandman movie being a blockbuster hit. Sure, the comic is good, but I just don't see it. (shrug)

The only reason I'm pointing this out is I'm having a hard time seeing Sandman comics getting the kind of bump we see with Marvel and DC superhero movies. Sandman doesn't have to be a hit, just a good movie. And not everything is about price bumps. :grin: I'm just curious what impact a movie announcement can have on the back issue prices. In my opinion, very little long term ala 300, Watchmen, and other non-blockbuster, non-superhero movies.

blaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I will read your brick of gibberish later(maybe), aint nobody got time for that. The OP asked for a link to sandman sales data, i told him he would have to look for sentences via google, cause he wont find it in charts. I then made some factual statements about the sites he had tried to look for it on.

I also contacted the DC editor that another boardie posted a link to.

If you have some actual contribution to give towards the OPs request, or a link backing up your baseless proclamations, pull it out of the wall of text and repost it.

beyond that, continue deluding yourself and making false claims, and you can hang out with hopf on the ignore list :) .

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot imagine a Sandman movie being a blockbuster hit. Sure, the comic is good, but I just don't see it. (shrug)

The only reason I'm pointing this out is I'm having a hard time seeing Sandman comics getting the kind of bump we see with Marvel and DC superhero movies. Sandman doesn't have to be a hit, just a good movie. And not everything is about price bumps. :grin: I'm just curious what impact a movie announcement can have on the back issue prices. In my opinion, very little long term ala 300, Watchmen, and other non-blockbuster, non-superhero movies.

Most movie based bumps of comics tend to follow the same pattern. I think for a book like this where it already has some associated value, making it more relevant to current collectors can't hurt it. I would wager its long term value is pushed up slightly.

But the quick bump, followed by a peak on release of film, with a decline from the pre-movie hype after its release is in the cards still.

The guys posting big stacks I am sure will be selling off some supply, and doing quite well with it to boot.

blaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I will read your brick of gibberish later(maybe), aint nobody got time for that. The OP asked for a link to sandman sales data, i told him he would have to look for sentences via google, cause he wont find it in charts. I then made some factual statements about the sites he had tried to look for it on.

I also contacted the DC editor that another boardie posted a link to.

If you have some actual contribution to give towards the OPs request, or a link backing up your baseless proclamations, pull it out of the wall of text and repost it.

beyond that, continue deluding yourself and making false claims, and you can hang out with hopf on the ignore list :) .

I do not have enough interest in the original request to respond to it. I care only about correcting the misinformation that you have posted.

And I will not insult you by calling what you posted "gibberish" or that you are "deluding" yourself, nor will I dismiss what you have written as "blaaaaaaaaaaah", or any other such personal commentary because it is not appropriate in any discussion.

You and your dignity as a human being are more valuable than that.

But I do encourage you to use the ignore function, and truly use it, if what I say does bother you. It's a decent...if fairly flawed...feature, useful to those (including myself) with the fortitude to actually ignore what someone says.

IIRC Watchmen 9.8 sales were strong until the movie was released. Early sales were crazy high, but I think that was a product of so little being available. They settled at a respectable price, but then dropped severely following March 2009, which corresponds with its release date.

I don't know what the future will hold for Sandman because it's a different animal, but I wanted to point out that Watchmen wasn't immune to the movie hype price bump.

I do not have enough interest in the original request to respond to it. I care only about correcting the misinformation that you have posted.

I posted no mis-information, just facts, if you need me to continue explaining it to you so you can udnerstand, PM me, dont derail the thread.

And I will not insult you by calling what you posted "gibberish" or that you are "deluding" yourself, nor will I dismiss what you have written as "blaaaaaaaaaaah", or any other such personal commentary because it is not appropriate in any discussion.

You and your dignity as a human being are more valuable than that.

you can do or not do what you please. If you understand the inherent dignity that all human's possess, that is excellent, and not relevant.

But I do encourage you to use the ignore function, and truly use it, if what I say does bother you. It's a decent...if fairly flawed...feature, useful to those (including myself) with the fortitude to actually ignore what someone says.

your error here (and you tend to have one in every paragraph), is your assumption that anything you say can bother me. Ignore is useful to clean up the threads of long posts that make it hard to read those posts being made by people contributing and not trolling.

I encourage you to get better at rhetoric too ;) you try hard, which is good, but you arent really achieving your goals.

It's been said thousands of times on here. Sell the sizzle, not the steak. (thumbs u

I think it might be a hit. My 17 yo daughter and her friends love the story and " the Endless " in general. She has turned a bunch of people on to it by sharing her TPBs. It crosses generations imo and will appeal to a lot of people as all can relate to "Dream". I don't know if people will rush out and buy up old copies or not but I think it will appeal to a different or more expanded crowd than 300 or Watchmen. Gaiman has a very large following outside of comic guys.