• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOOM #2 – The First Appearance Of Wolverine, In 1973?

214 posts in this topic

Hulk #181 Club

The "Third Appearance of Wolverine Club" :baiting:

So you didn't want to use THE OFFICIAL HULK 181 thread?

Marvelfangirl wins again

???

Click on the link. It links back to the first "Official Club". I just started a new one (with her blessing) to keep the list updated and on the front page. meh

Hulk #181 Club

Marvelfangirl wins again

???

Click on the link. It links back to the first "Official Club". I just started a new one (with her blessing) to keep the list updated and on the front page. meh

doh!

Seriously?

Hulk #181 Club

Marvelfangirl wins again

???

doh!

Seriously?

Do you like the list with the links to the individual books? Do you like that it's easily accessible? (shrug)

Hulk #181 Club

Marvelfangirl wins again

???

doh!

Seriously?

Do you like the list with the links to the individual books? Do you like that it's easily accessible? (shrug)

If you are happy, then I am happy.

:foryou:

Hulk #181 Club

Marvelfangirl wins again

???

doh!

Seriously?

If you are happy, then I am happy.

Why the name Wolverine, and why a suit, and why would a Wolverine have a metal skeleton? and so on..Why not Iron-man, Batman or any other super-hero. If they got the same basic idea months apart then that is an incredible co-incidence.

I am very convinced that Marvel were strongly inspired by Olson's idea. But honestly wasn't that almost the idea of the contest? I don't see anything bad in it, and Marvel have proven better than anyone else at promoting (their own or other peoples ideas) ideas.

I think many people, including Mr. Olson, are reading things in hindsight.

The metal gears and sprockets inside that tiny image of a chest cavity is a "metal skeleton" now that Wolverine has a metal skeleton.

I don't see Olson mention the "healing factor" did he include a write up with his submission that explained the character and powers? I haven't seen it. It just looks like a drawing of a robot, covered in skin meant to look human and no claws.

The costume doesn't look like Wolverine's either.

I see a character name, and some seller's holding previously worthless copies of Foom #2, being the strongest link to this being what we know as Wolverine.

I think many people, including Mr. Olson, are reading things in hindsight.

The metal gears and sprockets inside that tiny image of a chest cavity is a "metal skeleton" now that Wolverine has a metal skeleton.

I don't see Olson mention the "healing factor" did he include a write up with his submission that explained the character and powers? I haven't seen it. It just looks like a drawing of a robot, covered in skin meant to look human and no claws.

The costume doesn't look like Wolverine's either.

I see a character name, and some seller's holding previously worthless copies of Foom #2, being the strongest link to this being what we know as Wolverine.

I see his version having more than plenty similarities to be unlikely to not have influenced the Wolverine that came out only months later.

Of course he did not deliver the final result but how could anyone think that the Marvel writers wouldn't have any input themselves into the character? Of course they have. None the less even the suit looks more like Wolverine's final suit than it does Superman, Batman, Cpt Marvel, Spiderman, and on and on. It is not the exact same but you can see how it could easily have been the starting point for the current costume.

This doesn't help, either...

'I also created a villain named Krypt. As I recall he was a part cyborg fellow... '

The Wolverine drawing also looks like a cyborg.

Unfortunately, Marvel could argue that the design work / concept is quite generic.

This doesn't help, either...

'I also created a villain named Krypt. As I recall he was a part cyborg fellow... '

The Wolverine drawing also looks like a cyborg.

Unfortunately, Marvel could argue that the design work / concept is quite generic.

His Wolverine is a robot. I agree.

The robot face is lifted/influenced by several toys of the 60's and 70's too.

Unless he's claiming to have also invented the "mask" as part of a super hero costume, his design bears no resemblance to Wolverine.

For generic, we could line up 5 random super-heroes (e.g. Spider-man, Superman, Batman, and so forth) in a police line-up.

Then people see the Wolverine name and sketch.

Then they pick which super-hero it was the prototype for.

I doubt almost anyone would not pick the Marvel Wolverine. If it was truely generic we would expect people to assign it to other super-heroes at random.

That it's based on ubiquitous, pre-existing 60's / 70's designs for robots / cyborgs, for example, as toys, not solely within the comic book field.

For generic, we could line up 5 random super-heroes (e.g. Spider-man, Superman, Batman, and so forth) in a police line-up.

I doubt almost anyone would not pick the Marvel Wolverine. If it was truely generic we would expect people to assign it to other super-heroes at random.

How about line it up next to 5 that wear some sort of mask or have gears/machinery in their chest and next to Olson's image and see which one they pick?

Like, say...

recorder4171.jpg

How about line it up next to 5 that wear some sort of mask or have gears/machinery in their chest and next to Olson's image and see which one they pick?

Like, say...

recorder4171.jpg

That's the man Officer!

Like, say...

recorder4171.jpg

Sure.

Then add the other information we know.

It has the name Wolverine.

It came out only months before Hulk 180/1

etc.

(and add the name of the guy in your pic, and the date it came out too of course)