• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOOM #2 – The First Appearance Of Wolverine, In 1973?

214 posts in this topic

Here is a candidate for first appearance of Wolverine, not in name like FOOM #2, but (arguably) in a main "powers" characteristic (claws) and somewhat in looks, as in claws that appear extended from the back of the hand in some views.

In this age of "prototypes" my candidate doesn't stretch the envelope any more than many others.

LEONUS first appeared in Incredible Hulk Annual #1 October 1968, well before FOOM #2.

Coincidentally, Incredible Hulk Annual #1 also sported a cover by Steranko, like FOOM #2.

**Note** I could'a sworn I remember a panel where there is even a SNKT! sound effect, or something close to it, but I couldn't find that panel (if it exists).

I know Leonus was in the last Silver Surfer issue, and in Amazing Adventures. Maybe the panel is in one of those. Maybe not.

The following pics are from Hulk Ann #1, and Incredible Hulk(s) 119 - 120.

Here he is in all his first appearance glory:

leonus1_zps035eca1e.jpg

...and a familiar action on the very next page.

leonus2_zps4b3ae268.jpg

finally, doesn't the panel below look a little familiar? :/

leonus3_zps19679d20.jpg

Everyone knows that Hulk #180 is the first appearance of Wolverine...duh! :blahblah:

:ohnoez:

lol

I heard that Foom 1 has a cameo splash of the article that references the Olsen created Wolverine in the next month's Foom 2.

Just fer fun, since I hardly ever have my books out to scan, here's my copy of Incredible Hulk Annual #1 bought off the drug store spinner rack. Not in bad shape for me, since I didn't necessarily pick out books for condition like many (wisely) did.

Still, not bad for a 12 year old boy who stacked his books in groups of ten and stored them in large Glad bags (my Mom would occasionally wonder where all her kitchen Glad bags went) :shy:

IncredibleHulkAnn1_zps425ee7d8.jpg

Here is a candidate for first appearance of Wolverine, not in name like FOOM #2, but (arguably) in a main "powers" characteristic (claws) and somewhat in looks, as in claws that appear extended from the back of the hand in some views.

In this age of "prototypes" my candidate doesn't stretch the envelope any more than many others.

LEONUS first appeared in Incredible Hulk Annual #1 October 1968, well before FOOM #2.

Coincidentally, Incredible Hulk Annual #1 also sported a cover by Steranko, like FOOM #2.

**Note** I could'a sworn I remember a panel where there is even a SNKT! sound effect, or something close to it, but I couldn't find that panel (if it exists).

I know Leonus was in the last Silver Surfer issue, and in Amazing Adventures. Maybe the panel is in one of those. Maybe not.

The following pics are from Hulk Ann #1, and Incredible Hulk(s) 119 - 120.

Here he is in all his first appearance glory:

leonus1_zps035eca1e.jpg

...and a familiar action on the very next page.

leonus2_zps4b3ae268.jpg

finally, doesn't the panel below look a little familiar? :/

leonus3_zps19679d20.jpg

Looks more like Sabretooth than Wolverine.

No "natural" claws. There is an Asian weapon that is much older than comic books themselves that has been used (a "ninja weapon," if you like) that all these modern-day guys have probably used for influence in the claws.

koka-ninja-village9.jpg

tekko-kagi1111.jpg

-slym

Everyone knows that Hulk #180 is the first appearance of Wolverine...duh! :blahblah:

lol

and everyone knows a pc is much better than a mac :)

In both cases, those facts never stopped anyone, nay, they continue to, pay too much for a "second-best" product.

:roflmao:

-slym

lol

and everyone knows a pc is much better than a mac :)

In both cases, those facts never stopped anyone, nay, they continue to, pay too much for a "second-best" product.

:roflmao:

-slym

True , I H 181 could be one of the most over valued books in history but the market is the market ..

It is nothing that I would be actively looking for, but if I saw it for a few bucks, I think it would be pretty cool to own.

+1

+ another 1

TBH, I'd rather have it for the front and back cover art :headbang: , but there's no way I'd even pay low speculation prices for it unless it were 9.4+

2c