• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Conserved Label

192 posts in this topic

to me, conservation is going to be "minimal" work...a sealed tear, a reinforced staple... something to stop further damage (tear getting bigger, pages pulling from staple, etc)

any cleaning, or piece replacement or c/t etc, is still going to be "restoration"...

What about cleaning, or even replacing, rusty staples?

I think it would be a step forward for the hobby for these actions to be considered conservation rather than restoration.

Cleaning or replacing staples would be conservation (prevent rust migration)

Here's hoping they adopt your view. :wishluck:

to me, conservation is going to be "minimal" work...a sealed tear, a reinforced staple... something to stop further damage (tear getting bigger, pages pulling from staple, etc)

any cleaning, or piece replacement or c/t etc, is still going to be "restoration"...

I think it would be a step forward for the hobby for these actions to be considered conservation rather than restoration.

Cgc doesn't consider staple replacement restoration now. It gets a qualified label

Cgc doesn't consider staple replacement restoration now. It gets a qualified label

...that's why I scope out EVERY auction for a qualified book I get wind of...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Cgc doesn't consider staple replacement restoration now. It gets a qualified label GLOD

Fixed! ;)

Qualified = glod

Same thing (thumbs u

It may also stand for Gold Label Of Death when witnessed celeb signatures are used to cover up green and purple designations. hm

Bottom line POV: The blue label is more accepted than other color labels even when defects, minor restoration or conservation is noted on the label.

So you would expect it to stay qualified and not get the new conserved label?

So you would expect it to stay qualified and not get the new conserved label?

Could go clod.

Wouldn't cleaning a staple would be conservation, and replacing a staple would be restoration. It is the difference between original parts and new parts (which might not even be the same specs as the original parts).

Wouldn't cleaning a staple would be conservation, and replacing a staple would be restoration. It is the difference between original parts and new parts (which might not even be the same specs as the original parts). [/quote

OSPG grading standards allow for replacement with "vintage" staples on books Fine to NM without affecting the grade. Mint books must have original staples. This was the standard for many, many, years. I personally couldn't care less about staple replacement.... and prefer it to a rusty staple. GOD BLESS....

Wouldn't cleaning a staple would be conservation, and replacing a staple would be restoration. It is the difference between original parts and new parts (which might not even be the same specs as the original parts). [/quote

OSPG grading standards allow for replacement with "vintage" staples on books Fine to NM without affecting the grade. Mint books must have original staples. This was the standard for many, many, years. I personally couldn't care less about staple replacement.... and prefer it to a rusty staple. GOD BLESS....

Agree! I think too much importance has been ascribed to a mechanical device used to pin the pages together. It really has zero value or relationship to the work it holds.

Let our staples free :whee:

Fair enough. I guess it would be more like replacing a frame on a painting than parts in a vintage car.

..... if it bugs you, it bugs you..... I've always been a bit laid back and don't get bothered by things as much as some..... I know I sure don't care for tape. GOD BLESS....

To me it all comes down to what was NOT done to a book. In as far as it being conserved, or restored.

Typically, historical document type conservation labs do not draw the line at "sealed tears" vs "pieces filled". Typically most everything they do revolves around the structural integrity of an item. Conserving it.

And as soon as you try and recreate missing art, or text..THEN you are restoring the item. Obviously the world of one of a kind historical documents is light years removed from our hobby.

So, to me it comes down to what was not done to a comic when I consider it conserved, or restored. Not the amount of conservative minded procedures preformed. Because I think leaving certain books alone after the structural integrity is solidified, and NOT maxing the book out with CT should be rewarded somehow.

But, our hobby is grade driven, and people want books that look pretty..and have as high an apparent grade possible.

Be it called restored, or conserved, I would like to think people will appreciate certain books for what they are, not what label it recieves.

Case in point, brittle interiors. By definition they are restored I suppose. But represent exactly what conservation is all about, to me anyways.

DSC07150_zps5bbfebf6.jpg

DSC07156_zps121927e2.jpg

DSC07151_zps0e82bb93.jpg

DSC07157_zpsb815a30f.jpg

DSC07154_zpsdf3ed313.jpg

DSC07164_zpsd4dc8683.jpg

DSC07163_zps5dd74e0e.jpg

To me it all comes down to what was NOT done to a book. In as far as it being conserved, or restored.

Typically, historical document type conservation labs do not draw the line at "sealed tears" vs "pieces filled". Typically most everything they do revolves around the structural integrity of an item. Conserving it.

And as soon as you try and recreate missing art, or text..THEN you are restoring the item. Obviously the world of one of a kind historical documents is light years removed from our hobby.

So, to me it comes down to what was not done to a comic when I consider it conserved, or restored. Not the amount of conservative minded procedures preformed. Because I think leaving certain books alone after the structural integrity is solidified, and NOT maxing the book out with CT should be rewarded somehow.

But, our hobby is grade driven, and people want books that look pretty..and have as high an apparent grade possible.

Be it called restored, or conserved, I would like to think people will appreciate certain books for what they are, not what label it recieves.

Case in point, brittle interiors. By definition they are restored I suppose. But represent exactly what conservation is all about, to me anyways.

DSC07150_zps5bbfebf6.jpg

DSC07156_zps121927e2.jpg

DSC07151_zps0e82bb93.jpg

DSC07157_zpsb815a30f.jpg

DSC07154_zpsdf3ed313.jpg

DSC07164_zpsd4dc8683.jpg

DSC07163_zps5dd74e0e.jpg

Beautiful work as always Kenny :applause:

But in my view you've restored the book to a non-brittle state that existed prior to its poor storage condition. Certainly you've conserved the book as well by retarding the possibility of future damage from the brittle pages (sans additional poor storage), but you've achieved this by use of restorative techniques.

That's a great example you postted Kenny - as always beautiful work. This actually raises a question I had about whether leaf casting can cure a brittle paged condition on an entire book - but this may not be the forum for that question.

Leaving the book uncolor touched after leaf casting things like chips or frayed edges and spine seems to me to indicate that the owner intended to salvage (or conserve) a book while leaving the artistic aspects untouched hence unrestored. That's what you advised me to do with the 3 "D" copy WWs you saved - as I said earlier in the thread - like where you (Kenny) filled in the chip on the cover of the #8 by leaf casting but left it uncolor-touched.

The Dynamic 8 you worked on we decided to do the color touch on the cover (especially in the black areas near the spine where the leaf casting repairs were concentrated) because it was minimally invasive and heck it just made sense to do it. Sometimes aesthetics dictate the action - and I think this and the Hit 5 of mine you have - it makes sense to restore the book - specifically the covers.

Just decided to pick up a "tear-sealed" book that should be here in a few days. I went for it because:

1) its the best looking copy of that issue I've ever seen

2) this whole "conservation" is not as damning of a thing now

Plus I want to see how bad the seal is and what I'm dealing with here. I'll post pics when it arrives if there's interest. :)