• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Scam (Yeah, another one)

77 posts in this topic

We should get this thread stickied to the top and just add to it every day. :D

I see AF15 scams every week, but rarely mention them anymore because they're so common. This one irritated me because the scammer was so lazy. Usually they use a pic that's difficult to trace, not one that's currently being used by a legitimate seller.

here is another one misrepresenting a 1976 reprint as an original

Are you serious?

I see he added the reprint added note but didn't change the description

That's the same 2006 reprint
Its funny because 2006 is even written on the cover, bidders really need to start paying attention if those are real bids.

I think it's

Funny because there is a 2005-2006 mustang on the back cover, pretty sure that wasn't on the original

Have you seen this one? lol

Takes "Read the fine print" to a whole new level... :facepalm:

61 bids

Sheople :screwy:

Auction reported!

On Dec-25-13 at 06:20:44 PST, seller added the following information:

I have been informed that it most likely is a reprint

:D

I just placed my $80,000.00 Bid. Hope I win :banana:

lol:applause:

Yt321xd.png

He ended the AF15 listing .

But his other listing is a total scam.

alek-us2013 - TALES TO ASTONISH #35 5.0

$_57.JPG

Photo stolen from intconcp - TALES TO ASTONISH #35 GD+ 2.5

$_57.JPG

This is about on par with the Craigslist scammer who has been posting key CGC graded books for sale across the US at ridiculously undervalued prices for a variety of listed reasons that varied from ad to ad. I made it a point for a bit to pop into random major city's Craigslist collectible pages to see if there were any listed and flag them if they were as well as posting a warning, but obviously it's a losing battle as there are more than I can keep up with and some of them had been sitting up for quite a while. Key thing to look for if you ever see one is that the post is always in CAPS, the price is ridiculous and the seller lists a variety of reasons as to why they're selling.

My favorite and the one that nailed me was they they didn't know the value of a 4.0 Superman #2 and they were asking 900 for it.

This is about on par with the Craigslist scammer who has been posting key CGC graded books for sale across the US at ridiculously undervalued prices for a variety of listed reasons that varied from ad to ad. I made it a point for a bit to pop into random major city's Craigslist collectible pages to see if there were any listed and flag them if they were as well as posting a warning, but obviously it's a losing battle as there are more than I can keep up with and some of them had been sitting up for quite a while. Key thing to look for if you ever see one is that the post is always in CAPS, the price is ridiculous and the seller lists a variety of reasons as to why they're selling.

My favorite and the one that nailed me was they they didn't know the value of a 4.0 Superman #2 and they were asking 900 for it.

They just made their way into the Chicago Craigslist. I have been e-mailing them all the time with snarky remarks but have yet to get a reply.

Then there was this: http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/clt/4252904520.html

I mean, who would bring $20,000 cash to a meetup?

How long ago was the ad posted? If it was back in November/Early December, I may have flagged it already. If it's very recent, they probably reposted again. After I got hit for the Superman #2, they posted again about 2 weeks later with an Amazing Fantasy 15. I usually flag the post and put one of my own calling out that it's a scam just in case CL doesn't remove it.

How long ago was the ad posted? If it was back in November/Early December, I may have flagged it already. If it's very recent, they probably reposted again. After I got hit for the Superman #2, they posted again about 2 weeks later with an Amazing Fantasy 15. I usually flag the post and put one of my own calling out that it's a scam just in case CL doesn't remove it.

The AF #15? I saw it three days ago.

I flagged it and posted a reply in the list for it as a scam. I would like to think people are savvy enough to see through such obvious scams, but then again, I would like to think I was as well. I wish this person would be caught...if they're raking in even one buyer a week with all the ads they post that the thought of getting such a good deal overrides their common sense (as it did with me), they have to have raked in several thousand dollars by now.

And yeah, I'm leery of that AF 15 one as well. No location given is usually a giveaway something shady might be afoot. I don't think it's the same person though, as the style is completely different or they upped their game.

The Scammer

$_57.JPG

=======================================

SparkleCityComics Listing

$_57.JPG

Pretty bold when you nick the photo right out of a current listing that appears on the same summary page.

11 Bidders :facepalm:

Just closing the loop on this one.

alec-us2013 also sold a book graded by Vault Valuation LLC, the story of which can be read here .

Not saying it IS a scam, not saying it isn't. But this is the best thread for my inquiry. Anyone know about this copy? The cert. no. matched a GPA sale in 2011, but the seller (I did talk to him -- or someone -- on the phone) says it's his dad's.

http://austin.craigslist.org/clt/4449656269.html