• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

On the issue of black-Johnny? I don't know or think many people care that he's black, so much that he's black and his sister is white. Honestly, Sue being black might have actually helped this movie a little bit. Not for some dumb PC reasons but because it would have taken away the thing that I KNOW is going to bug me for the whole movie: "why are the brother & sister different races? I understand she's adopted, but it's still bugging me". From a narrative perspective, it's one less extraneous thing that serves no plot purpose & is another thing that needs addressed at some point, muddying the narrative if it's not plot related.

Non-plot things like that are just another thing that prevents me from getting engrossed in a movie & just kinda festers in the back of my head the whole time. Unless the adoption is plot-related (which would just seem pointless to me), it's just something else that is going to likely bug the audience in the same way. Like, make them both black, white, Asian, whatever. But unless you're stealing plots from the Flash tv show, making one adopted & of a different race just seems like a recipe for confusing the audience at worst, and just bugging them at best.

I don't think he is blaming on Johnny being black. From what he said, he is blaming it on their need to change so much and disregard the collecting community/fans. Johnny being black just happens to be the biggest change.

maybe it was a bad storyline/director

sounds like they had everything in place but the directing/writing didn't pay off

Maybe the Fantastic Four are just hard to translate on screen? (shrug)

No, that's not it. The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay. The second effort was lazy (rubber Thing suit; Galactus-as-a-cloud) and miscast (bubble-bleach-blond playing Sue Storm; hyper Reed Richards; metrosexual version of Victor Von Doom with trimmed eyebrows). This third effort, based on the 8 or so reviews that I have read on RT, point to two problems: a bland -script and a director who was in over his head. (Fox thought Trank was the next Steven Spielberg, gambled and lost.)

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise. At this point there is no doubt Fox will pull the plug on any sequel plans involving the current iteration. The real question is whether Fox will throw in the towel and work out some deal with Marvel Studios. :wishluck:

I don't think he is blaming on Johnny being black. From what he said, he is blaming it on their need to change so much and disregard the collecting community/fans. Johnny being black just happens to be the biggest change.

This is the only comic book movie where I'm aware that the director explicitly told the entire cast not to read the comics for the express purpose of making these characters different from the ones that Marvel created. Having said that, Trank himself has convinced me he was an FF fan before he was hired for the movie based upon his interviews with Kevin Smith the last few weeks.

No, that's not it. The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay. The second effort was lazy (rubber Thing suit; Galactus-as-a-cloud) and miscast (bubble-bleach-blond playing Sue Storm; hyper Reed Richards; metrosexual version of Victor Von Doom with trimmed eyebrows). This third effort, based on the 8 or so reviews that I have read on RT, point to two problems: a bland -script and a director who was in over his head. (Fox thought Trank was the next Steven Spielberg, gambled and lost.)

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise. At this point there is no doubt Fox will pull the plug on any sequel plans involving the current iteration. The real question is whether Fox will throw in the towel and work out some deal with Marvel Studios. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

Then why did you find it so necessary to cheerlead?

If 'cheerlead' is seeing a trailer for myself and feeling like the movie may have more merit than the rumors were letting on, that's not 'cheerleading'. That's thinking for oneself. Sorry that bothers you.

No. It's nothing like that. It's nothing like that at all.

Sure it is.

I thought that. But I bet if turned over to a creative team fanatical over the characters and the history, they could deliver on a great movie. And the FF have a strong cast of villains to utilize that would make the movie worth seeing. It doesn't just have to be a Galactus or Doom threat each time.

What kind of numbers would this flick have to do in order for the sequel to be canceled and the mothership having a shot at getting the rights back?

Below $395 MM worldwide would be the biggest impact to Fox, and a clear sign it had failed miserably.

What is Fox forecasting on this film now after all the reviews published?

Mission-Impossible did $55MIL it's opening weekend with a big name star and tons of great reviews....

MI: 5 has a 93% rating on RT. We saw it last weekend and I think it might be the best of the franchise. It's a home run movie.

And it looked it from the very 1st trailer.

The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay.

No, it was not. By the rest of your post you're clearly referring to the 2005 version, not the (actually low-budget) Corman version.

The 2005 FF film had a budget of $100 million, which was close to the $110 million budget of X-Men 2 two years earlier.

Not trying to defend that movie by any stretch, but low-budget?

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise.

Yup. GOTG comics were used for bird cage liner. Nobody cared about them in the grand scheme, and yet they managed to make a blockbuster out of the film.

You can literally make a good film out of anything. If you're not Fox or Sony these days. lol

What kind of numbers would this flick have to do in order for the sequel to be canceled and the mothership having a shot at getting the rights back?

Below $395 MM worldwide would be the biggest impact to Fox, and a clear sign it had failed miserably.

What is Fox forecasting on this film now after all the reviews published?

My one fear is that by the time Marvel has the ability to buy the rights back, the "brand equity" of the Fantastic Four will be so damaged that by the time the dust has settled and it's time to make a good FF flick, the comic book movie craze will be over. We might never see a good Fantastic Four movie.

No, it was not. By the rest of your post you're clearly referring to the 2005 version, not the (actually low-budget) Corman version.

The 2005 FF film had a budget of $100 million, which was close to the $110 million budget of X-Men 2 two years earlier.

Relatively speaking it was low compared to the $200-300MIL budgets now.

And CGI was rough in those days.

Although movies like Alien, Blade Runner and Star Wars still managed to look good on the screen pre CGI, so there really is no excuse.

It all comes down to the creator's juices flowing.

I was referring to the low-budget Corman version. That's why I referred to it as the "first effort" which was "low-budget and pre-CGI" (1994, I think).

I guess I should have been more clear.

Sorry Boscoe...

But I can see a trailer and instantly assess whether or not it is something I want to pay money to see. The only 'doom' worth mentioning in FF is the box office draw. Now on the other hand, as ashamed as I am to say it... Deadpool (just saw the Red Band trailer) has my interest.

Now, I do not need it to be close to the Lee-Kirby source material because to tell the truth, I do not care enough about the source material and have always maintained that what worked on newsprint in 1962 may not work on screen almost 50 years later.

The movie does not inspire me to spend money seeing it. If it is free on TV or netflix? I will sit down and watch it at home where I can take a break whenever I want. But from what I have seen from the trailers, footage and yes even word of mouth both leaked (why 'did' Disney part ways with him?) and from the reviews of those that have seen it, I have no interest in seeing this.

13a_zpsce0i0r21.jpg

16_zpsrqp7y3rv.jpg

The guy's name is Trank. Not Trask. lol

:roflmao:

Oh my! That made this morning thread visit so worth it.

p4mys.jpg

Mission-Impossible did $55MIL it's opening weekend with a big name star and tons of great reviews....

MI: 5 has a 93% rating on RT. We saw it last weekend and I think it might be the best of the franchise. It's a home run movie.

And it looked it from the very 1st trailer.

no offense but I think anything with Tom Cruise is likely to be a home run. The guy is box office gold

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise.

Yup. GOTG comics were used for bird cage liner. Nobody cared about them in the grand scheme, and yet they managed to make a blockbuster out of the film.

You can literally make a good film out of anything. If you're not Fox or Sony these days. lol

Marvel has it's clunkers, let's not forget about those. Yes they made a very good movie with GOTG but IM2, IM3 and both Thors weren't exactly great.