• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Why doesn't anyone hire John Byrne as a creative consultant for an FF movie? My goodness, it would only make PERFECT SENSE. Sheesh.

Epic, the mistake you make is that you're making sense. That would never have dawned on Fox Studios.

Ultimately (no pun intended), this all went bad when Fox Studios (lazy) hired Simon Kinberg ("I am proud of it. It's not a disaster.") to produce this film, and Kinberg, in turn, bringing in a young director with basically one movie under his belt who admitted never having read the FF books.

So, opening weekend predictions?

I say it has an opening weekend between 24-36 million. With a 40 to 60 percent drop off the next week.

I'm still holding to that. Anyone else want to chime in here? :popcorn:

Thanks for posting. After this movie leaves theatres and the dust settles, I think Marvel will relaunch FF the comic book. Marvel made the right business/corporate decision discontinuing the title in the months leading up to the release of the film. Besides not wanting to indirectly promote the film of a rival studio, I think the main reason to discontinue was that Marvel decided it didn't want to be publishing product associated with this heap.

Thanks for posting. After this movie leaves theatres and the dust settles, I think Marvel will relaunch FF the comic book. Marvel made the right business/corporate decision discontinuing the title in the months leading up to the release of the film. Besides not wanting to indirectly promote the film of a rival studio, I think the main reason to discontinue was that Marvel decided it didn't want to be publishing product associated with this heap.

Or, the reality.

How Marvel Is Poisoning The X-Men And Fantastic Four To Spite Fox

But that's just for starters. Marvel has been executing a long-term plan regarding the X-Men for a while now. Since Marvel Studios can't use the X-Men in movies or TV, the publisher is strategically elevating the profile of another, lesser-known team of superpowered not-quite- sapiens: the Inhumans.

The rise of the Inhumans could have started from an innocent place. Perhaps Marvel simply wanted to have an alt-human team it could use on film. If so, it's understandable.

In addition to all this, Marvel has just begun its most blatant attack on Fox yet. The publisher is actively trying to alter readers' memories of the X-Men and Fantastic Four's involvement in major comic book milestones. BleedingCool reports that Marvel is making a concerted effort to actually erase the FF and X-Men from historic images, such as the famous cover art from the original Secret Wars series from the 1980s.

BLEEDING COOL: Reed Richards Meets Leon Trotsky: Remembering Secret Wars

As has been detailed, there are now multiple examples of Marvel not only erasing the involvement of those they wish to deemphasize but also inserting alternative figures they hope to promote. Most notably, the X-Men and Fantastic Four — characters that do not feature in the Marvel Cinematic Universe because the rights were sold during the dark days of the 1990s — have been removed from images used on t-shirts. Simply deleted. And these are not just random pieces of comic art. These characters have been deleted from iconic covers (Secret Wars #1 and #8) that are well known to fans of a certain age. Alternatively, Marvel has added characters in what can only be seen as an effort to increase their visibility. Daredevil was notably absent from the entire Secret Wars miniseries. And yet he appears on a reimagined cover used on a shirt.

Now as far is it being a smart business move on Disney/Marvel's part because they are not making money off the X-Franchise films - that definitely factors into the picture. But its campaign started long before F4 was being finalized where Marvel had a clear hint what the final product was going to look like.

Maybe the Fantastic Four are just hard to translate on screen? (shrug)

No, that's not it. The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay. The second effort was lazy (rubber Thing suit; Galactus-as-a-cloud) and miscast (bubble-bleach-blond playing Sue Storm; hyper Reed Richards; metrosexual version of Victor Von Doom with trimmed eyebrows). This third effort, based on the 8 or so reviews that I have read on RT, point to two problems: a bland -script and a director who was in over his head. (Fox thought Trank was the next Steven Spielberg, gambled and lost.)

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise. At this point there is no doubt Fox will pull the plug on any sequel plans involving the current iteration. The real question is whether Fox will throw in the towel and work out some deal with Marvel Studios. :wishluck:

I sort of disagree. I think the FF have aged really poorly. In the 60s, they were groundbreaking. They were the glue that held the universe together. Into the Byrne era, that was still partly true. Since then, we've seen a book that has never maintained sales and their role in the universe has dwindled to the point that their own book was cancelled.

The elements that made the FF so great in the 60s were applied to everything. Now they just aren't unique and storylines and characters in The Avengers can serve the main purpose.

I honestly think the FF just don't reach the same level of interest and haven't in a long time.

Personally, the thing to do in my mind is make them part of the larger universe. Use Reed as the scientist and expert going into the Infinity Gauntlet. Bring Skrulls and Galactus into the Avengers universe. I'd also play up Sue Storm. Marvel has been criticized for being sexist- Sue is the perfect catalyst to that idea.

That is all dependent on Marvel getting the rights back or Fox making a Spidey like deal with Marvel.

I can't disagree with you more. If way back, Marvel had sold the rights to Avengers instead of FF, Fox and Tim Story would have made horrible Avengers movies and Marvel would have made epic FF movies. Real Galactus, real Dr. Doom, Inhumans, and on and on. Trank would have cast teenagers in a reboot for the final Avengers bomb movie and your paragraph above would be saying the exact opposite.

Well said!

There's a balance to be struck. Make him a gargantuan demi-god, but instead of him physically eating the planet, have him use technology which converts physical matter into energy he can absorb.

Isn't that pretty much what he does anyway? hm

Yes, that's what he does. He can do it without the tech, but he uses it to make the energy absorption more efficient.

Why doesn't anyone hire John Byrne as a creative consultant for an FF movie? My goodness, it would only make PERFECT SENSE. Sheesh.

I often wondered that myself. Seems a no brainer.

Here's the real powerhouse pulling the strings at Disney/Marvel.

Why do the Avengers fear this man? Ike Perlmutter

In 2008, Iron Man – which would go on to make $585 million at the global box office – was far from a dead cert.

So anxious was Perlmutter about the vast expense of the film - whose production budget was $140 million, a figure that must have been matched by the costs of marketing it around the world - that he argued that they should only serve crisps at the premiere.

Perlmutter was there at the premiere, paying a rare visit to Los Angeles from the home he shares with his wife, Laura, in Palm Beach, Florida (the couple also lives in New York City). But no one recognised him, because at the time he was wearing a wig and moustache.

In fact the reclusive CEO, whose net worth is estimated at $3.9 billion by Forbes, has managed to avoid being having his photograph taken for three decades. There is one picture, taken in 1985, which shows a handsome, unsmiling man leaning on a desk. It's also a point of pride for Perlmutter that he's never given an interview.

I don't know why, but I had this strange, unfounded feeling that for some reason, John Byrne simply isn't interested in the movie realm of things. Surely someone has asked him before. :shrug:

Would he even be interested in seeing many of his former works translated to the big screen? Or he more like Alan Moore, washing his hands of it because it is a different entertainment form than what he contributes to.

Why is it that Galactus cannot be a cloud?

Wasn't it established that Galactus is in the form that the beings before him are capable of viewing him as?

To tell the truth... Galactus as a planet devouring cloud makes more sense than a purple giant that sticks a straw into the core of the Earth and sucks that stuff down like a fat kid with a slurpee.

Because true comic book fans like their aliens looking like humans. And wearing fetish clothing.

lol

So, opening weekend predictions?

I say it has an opening weekend between 24-36 million. With a 40 to 60 percent drop off the next week.

I'm still holding to that. Anyone else want to chime in here? :popcorn:

That would be an epic disaster. The studio can buy an opening weekend by flooding the market w/ TV ads. $45mm opening and then down 60-65%. Total US box office $110-120mm

BOX OFFICE: Weekend Forecast: 'Fantastic Four', 'Ricki and the Flash', 'The Gift', & 'Shaun the Sheep'

Fantastic Four (2015), $43,000,000

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, $28,500,000

Ricki and the Flash, $9,000,000

The Gift (2015), $8,500,000

Vacation (2015), $8,300,000 ($36,400,000 Domestic total)

I don't know why, but I had this strange, unfounded feeling that for some reason, John Byrne simply isn't interested in the movie realm of things. Surely someone has asked him before. :shrug:

Last I heard, he had burned his last bridge at Marvel. He was fond of calling people insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in public.

Mission-Impossible did $55MIL it's opening weekend with a big name star and tons of great reviews....

MI: 5 has a 93% rating on RT. We saw it last weekend and I think it might be the best of the franchise. It's a home run movie.

And it looked it from the very 1st trailer.

no offense but I think anything with Tom Cruise is likely to be a home run. The guy is box office gold

Tom Cruise's domestic vs budget, last 4 movies...

Edge of Tomorrow - $100MIL BUDGET: $178MIL (-$ 78MIL)

Oblivion - $ 89MIL BUDGET: $120MIL (-$ 31MIL)

Jack Reacher - $ 80MIL BUDGET: $ 60MIL +$ 20MIL

Rock of Ages - $ 38MIL BUDGET: $ 75MIL (-$ 44MIL)

That's a Domestic loss total of $133 MILLION over his last 4 movies....

Surprising.......especially because I saw 3 of those movies at the theater!

Those films actually lost a lot more than that.

Remmeber: theatres account for around 50% of the box office take. A film needs to essentially DOUBLE its budget just to break even.

If the budget for Edge of Tomorrow was $178 Million, it needed to gross around $356 Million to break even. Worldwide, it grossed $369M, which means it *just barely* made a profit.

Last I heard, he had burned his last bridge at Marvel. He was fond of calling people insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in public.

Really? Any sort of evidence on that?

http://www.craveonline.com/culture/885613-fantastic-four-review-movie-monster

‘FANTASTIC FOUR’ REVIEW: THIS MOVIE, THIS MONSTER

Finally, a superhero movie without action, character development or a plot.

Would love to see a reworked FF 51 cover featuring that review title, lol

W6qxNmK.png

:baiting:

Mission-Impossible did $55MIL it's opening weekend with a big name star and tons of great reviews....

MI: 5 has a 93% rating on RT. We saw it last weekend and I think it might be the best of the franchise. It's a home run movie.

And it looked it from the very 1st trailer.

no offense but I think anything with Tom Cruise is likely to be a home run. The guy is box office gold

Tom Cruise's domestic vs budget, last 4 movies...

Edge of Tomorrow - $100MIL BUDGET: $178MIL (-$ 78MIL)

Oblivion - $ 89MIL BUDGET: $120MIL (-$ 31MIL)

Jack Reacher - $ 80MIL BUDGET: $ 60MIL +$ 20MIL

Rock of Ages - $ 38MIL BUDGET: $ 75MIL (-$ 44MIL)

That's a Domestic loss total of $133 MILLION over his last 4 movies....

Surprising.......especially because I saw 3 of those movies at the theater!

Those films actually lost a lot more than that.

Remmeber: theatres account for around 50% of the box office take. A film needs to essentially DOUBLE its budget just to break even.

If the budget for Edge of Tomorrow was $178 Million, it needed to gross around $356 Million to break even. Worldwide, it grossed $369M, which means it *just barely* made a profit.

More than double, which is why a 2.5X of budget is a safe bet.

- Marketing expenses (not accounted for in the production budget)

- Accounting for any creator or actor revenue share

- Regional revenue share variances across foreign markets