• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Repeat negativity. Why? Just to fill the day?

This movie will suck.

This movie will suck.

This movie will suck.

Oh by the way, did I mention that this movie will suck?

:baiting:

Honestly I don't have high expectations for this film. But that's only because the prior ones have stunk. But I'm willing to give it a shot. My philosophy is maybe a re-imagining is just maybe what this movie might have needed. Just because it doesn't follow lore, doesn't mean it can't be a good flick. I would have been less inclined to pay to watch this, if it was the same traditional FF movie, with just a new cast.

I've had high expectations for a lot of hero films that ended up disappointing me (ie Thor 2, Iron Man 2 & 3). But then there were a few films that I thought would be utter and ended up enjoying them (ie. Guardians of the Galaxy, Man of Steel).

Besides, can it be any worse? hm

+ 1. Well said, good sir.

Review from Variety!

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/fantastic-four-review-reboots-marvel-comic-1201555905/

Cliff notes: Better than the last two films (a low bar), but still a missed opportunity.

Conclusion:

"Ultimately, Fox’s stab at reviving one of its inherited Marvel properties feels less like a blockbuster for this age of comics-oriented tentpoles than it does another also-ran — not an embarrassment, but an experiment that didn’t gel. And having seemingly missed twice in trying to get “Fantastic Four” right, the studio, unlike Reed, might want to think seriously before making any more trips back to the drawing board."

That's what I wanted to start seeing. Some unbiased reviews on what to expect. And if the news is bad, then shame on Fox for allowing this to happen again when it had a chance to turn things around.

Reviews are trickling in (what happened to that embargo?)

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/04/first-fantastic-four-critic-reviews-released/

The first reviews for Fantastic Four are beginning to show up online, and so far it’s not looking good for Fox’s reboot.

Todd McCarthy at The Hollywood Reporter was so unimpressed with the film that he summed it up with a halfhearted pun, saying “More like the Unfantastic Four.”

Brian Lowry of Variety says the film simply can’t compete with modern superhero fare, saying, “Fox's attempt to revive an inherited Marvel property feels like an also-ran in the comicbook-adaptation sweepstakes.”

The Wrap’s Alonso Duralde believes the film was hamstrung by having to retell the characters’ origin story, saying “With all this tedious Tinkertoy origin-story business out of the way, there could certainly be some entertaining ‘Fantastic Four’ adventures in the future with this ensemble. Whether or not audiences will want to gamble another 100 minutes of their lives on subsequent chapters, however, is another matter entirely.”

Emma Dibdin of Digital Spy thinks the dark tone simply didn’t fit the film’s source material, saying, “The biggest mistake here seems to have been trying to marry a dark and realistic tone with the story of four teenagers whose superpowers include transforming into rock, generating force fields and becoming very stretchy. While far from the unmitigated disaster some had predicted, Fantastic Four feels unlikely to kick-start a new franchise, barely sustaining the narrative steam to power itself through its modest 90-minute running time.”

So I guess simultaneous gherkin-jerkin' is off the table then? (shrug)

lol

He can spin it all he wants. It's the same old 'How dare you take things so personal' when there was nothing taken personal until he started declaring hypocrisy, manipulation and agendas. And even then, those are so many oddball statements, what's to get offended over? That Chuck doesn't like his views questioned?

He'll get over it. Or he won't.

"Beginning with Teller and Jordan, who have done such promising early work, the cast is utterly wasted here with mostly rote explanatory dialogue and little conflict or nuance to work on a dramatic level. And the visual style is in a dark, unattractive, gloomy mode that infects every aspect of the film."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/fantastic-four/review/813140

I was just thinking the other day, "Isn't cool all these movies of all my childhood comic favorites are getting made into films, who cares if they aren't great, they're better than not having anything ever made."

We're in a golden age of comic movie making.

Someday it will all be over and I am going to try and enjoy it as long as I can.

Emma Dibdin of Digital Spy thinks the dark tone simply didn’t fit the film’s source material, saying, “The biggest mistake here seems to have been trying to marry a dark and realistic tone with the story of four teenagers whose superpowers include transforming into rock, generating force fields and becoming very stretchy. While far from the unmitigated disaster some had predicted, Fantastic Four feels unlikely to kick-start a new franchise, barely sustaining the narrative steam to power itself through its modest 90-minute running time.”

Ouch!

:(

I was just thinking the other day, "Isn't cool all these movies of all my childhood comic favorites are getting made into films, who cares if they aren't great, they're better than not having anything ever made."

Someday it will all be over and I am going to try and enjoy it as long as I can.

+1

It is great. My wife just didn't understand why I was glowing walking out of the first Avengers movie. You knew that someone finally "Got it" on the big screen at that point. The Spider-Man and X-Men movies were good, but Avengers just took it to a whole new level.

It is why FF returning to Marvel would be so huge. The FF work so well being right in the mix of things.

So many false starts over the years with the early Marvel TV movies and DC Swamp Thing disasters.

To finally see so much quality - and yes misses - is more than we ever got previously.

"Director Josh Trank, whose debut feature 'Chronicle' put a smart new spin on superhero tropes, has assembled a quartet of engaging, charismatic performers and stranded them in a miasma of exposition and set-up that sinks the movie. So much time is spent putting the pieces on the board that there’s barely any time to play with them."

http://www.thewrap.com/fantastic-four-review-marvel-mcu-michael-b-jordan-kate-mara-miles-teller/

:pullhair:

Ouch!

Fantastic Four feels like a 100-minute trailer for a movie that never happens. At this point in the ever-expanding cinematic superhero game, it behooves any filmmakers who gets involved to have at least a mildly fresh take on their characters and material, but this third attempt to create a worthy cinematic franchise from the first of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's iconic comic book creations, which can genuinely claim to have launched the Age of Marvel, proves maddeningly lame and unimaginative. Die-hard fans will undoubtedly show up, but box-office results for this Fox release will fall far short of what Marvel achieves with its own in-house productions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/fantastic-four/review/813140