• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Maybe the Fantastic Four are just hard to translate on screen? (shrug)

No, that's not it. The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay. The second effort was lazy (rubber Thing suit; Galactus-as-a-cloud) and miscast (bubble-bleach-blond playing Sue Storm; hyper Reed Richards; metrosexual version of Victor Von Doom with trimmed eyebrows). This third effort, based on the 8 or so reviews that I have read on RT, point to two problems: a bland -script and a director who was in over his head. (Fox thought Trank was the next Steven Spielberg, gambled and lost.)

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise. At this point there is no doubt Fox will pull the plug on any sequel plans involving the current iteration. The real question is whether Fox will throw in the towel and work out some deal with Marvel Studios. :wishluck:

I sort of disagree. I think the FF have aged really poorly. In the 60s, they were groundbreaking. They were the glue that held the universe together. Into the Byrne era, that was still partly true. Since then, we've seen a book that has never maintained sales and their role in the universe has dwindled to the point that their own book was cancelled.

The elements that made the FF so great in the 60s were applied to everything. Now they just aren't unique and storylines and characters in The Avengers can serve the main purpose.

I honestly think the FF just don't reach the same level of interest and haven't in a long time.

Personally, the thing to do in my mind is make them part of the larger universe. Use Reed as the scientist and expert going into the Infinity Gauntlet. Bring Skrulls and Galactus into the Avengers universe. I'd also play up Sue Storm. Marvel has been criticized for being sexist- Sue is the perfect catalyst to that idea.

That is all dependent on Marvel getting the rights back or Fox making a Spidey like deal with Marvel.

I can't disagree with you more. If way back, Marvel had sold the rights to Avengers instead of FF, Fox and Tim Story would have made horrible Avengers movies and Marvel would have made epic FF movies. Real Galactus, real Dr. Doom, Inhumans, and on and on. Trank would have cast teenagers in a reboot for the final Avengers bomb movie and your paragraph above would be saying the exact opposite.

No, that's not it. The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay. The second effort was lazy (rubber Thing suit; Galactus-as-a-cloud) and miscast (bubble-bleach-blond playing Sue Storm; hyper Reed Richards; metrosexual version of Victor Von Doom with trimmed eyebrows). This third effort, based on the 8 or so reviews that I have read on RT, point to two problems: a bland -script and a director who was in over his head. (Fox thought Trank was the next Steven Spielberg, gambled and lost.)

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise. At this point there is no doubt Fox will pull the plug on any sequel plans involving the current iteration. The real question is whether Fox will throw in the towel and work out some deal with Marvel Studios. :wishluck:

I sort of disagree. I think the FF have aged really poorly. In the 60s, they were groundbreaking. They were the glue that held the universe together. Into the Byrne era, that was still partly true. Since then, we've seen a book that has never maintained sales and their role in the universe has dwindled to the point that their own book was cancelled.

The elements that made the FF so great in the 60s were applied to everything. Now they just aren't unique and storylines and characters in The Avengers can serve the main purpose.

I honestly think the FF just don't reach the same level of interest and haven't in a long time.

Personally, the thing to do in my mind is make them part of the larger universe. Use Reed as the scientist and expert going into the Infinity Gauntlet. Bring Skrulls and Galactus into the Avengers universe. I'd also play up Sue Storm. Marvel has been criticized for being sexist- Sue is the perfect catalyst to that idea.

That is all dependent on Marvel getting the rights back or Fox making a Spidey like deal with Marvel.

I can't disagree with you more. If way back, Marvel had sold the rights to Avengers instead of FF, Fox and Tim Story would have made horrible Avengers movies and Marvel would have made epic FF movies. Real Galactus, real Dr. Doom, Inhumans, and on and on. Trank would have cast teenagers in a reboot for the final Avengers bomb movie and your paragraph above would be saying the exact opposite.

I think you're right if the situation had been flipped, but I still think the FF have been a declining property since Byrne left. When was the last time the book was in the top 25 outside of a number 1? Maybe the Millar/Hitch run that lasted a dozen issues. Even during Hickman's run I don't think the book sold all that well.

Marvel has been dominated by X-Men and Avengers since the early 90s with spurts of successful Spidey runs here and there. FF have been intricate part of events, but outside of that, they don't really dominate the universe or sales.

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

You don't think Mara is well known after the success of House of Cards?

Frankly, with that short haircut, she doesn't look much like her character in that show.

(Posted for Instructional Purposes ONLY!!)

Kate-Mara-4_zps5ceefe61.jpg

I like Kate Mara. I thought she was solid in that role, and looked really nice too. She was also good in 'Ironclad' starring with James Purefoy.

It was a limited release film. But it was worth watching.

Why is it that Galactus cannot be a cloud?

Wasn't it established that Galactus is in the form that the beings before him are capable of viewing him as?

To tell the truth... Galactus as a planet devouring cloud makes more sense than a purple giant that sticks a straw into the core of the Earth and sucks that stuff down like a fat kid with a slurpee.

Wasn't it established that Galactus is in the form that the beings before him are capable of viewing him as?

To tell the truth... Galactus as a planet devouring cloud makes more sense than a purple giant that sticks a straw into the core of the Earth and sucks that stuff down like a fat kid with a slurpee.

Because true comic book fans like their aliens looking like humans. And wearing fetish clothing.

I think you're right if the situation had been flipped, but I still think the FF have been a declining property since Byrne left. When was the last time the book was in the top 25 outside of a number 1? Maybe the Millar/Hitch run that lasted a dozen issues. Even during Hickman's run I don't think the book sold all that well.

Marvel has been dominated by X-Men and Avengers since the early 90s with spurts of successful Spidey runs here and there. FF have been intricate part of events, but outside of that, they don't really dominate the universe or sales.

X-Men yes. Spidey yes. Avengers - their enhanced recent popularity stems directly from the success of the films. If the films were reversed, the popularity of the books would likely be reversed as well. The quality of recent FF runs is very high.

Why is it that Galactus cannot be a cloud...?

Mostly because Kirby's grand vision deserves better, and because "Cloudactus" isn't nearly as exciting, cool-looking, or awe-inspiring as something like this...

galactus.jpg

Because true comic book fans like their aliens looking like humans. And wearing fetish clothing.

Damn straight! :sumo:

Uh, no. Galactus cannot be a cloud. We might never see "Galactus" on film again. But, if he does return, it will not be as a friggin cloud.

X-Men yes. Spidey yes. Avengers - their enhanced recent popularity stems directly from the success of the films. If the films were reversed, the popularity of the books would likely be reversed as well. The quality of recent FF runs is very high.

Didn't Avengers sort of take off in the early 2000s? I thought when Bendis came onto the book that it really picked up. That was just before the Iron Man movie.

Edit: Pulling up sales numbers, Avengers does pretty well:

http://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights/avengers.html

Those are consistently good numbers and the book spiked in 2006 prior to Iron Man.

Also New Avengers launched at the end of 2004 and was pretty consistently in the top 10 all of 2005 on up.

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

Or, make a bad movie and people will show up for it:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: $373 million

Fantastic Four (2005): $331 million

Iron Man 2: $624 million

X-Men: Last Stand: $459 million

Amazing Spider-Man 2: $709 million

There's a balance to be struck. Make him a gargantuan demi-god, but instead of him physically eating the planet, have him use technology which converts physical matter into energy he can absorb.

Isn't that pretty much what he does anyway? hm

There's a balance to be struck. Make him a gargantuan demi-god, but instead of him physically eating the planet, have him use technology which converts physical matter into energy he can absorb.

Isn't that pretty much what he does anyway? hm

Yes, that's what he does. He can do it without the tech, but he uses it to make the energy absorption more efficient.

Why doesn't anyone hire John Byrne as a creative consultant for an FF movie? My goodness, it would only make PERFECT SENSE. Sheesh.

Edited by Epic Peach

Yes they made a very good movie with GOTG but IM2, IM3 and both Thors weren't exactly great.

I liked all those stinkers. lol

could be worse, you could like the band Creed and then you'd really have problems :baiting:

I think all Canadians love Nickleback, actually.

Sadly, we're few and far in between. :cry:

Nickleback is terrible, Thor 1 is one of the best movies of Phase 1, Ironman 2 is excellent.

IM3 and Thor 2 are good but not great, like a lot of the posts in this thread :)

lol

:applause: