• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I'm really starting to think 29-35 million is the box office draw this weekend. Huge word of mouth on MI5. I don't know if a 50-60% drop off is actually going to happen on that movie, maybe closer to 40%? Idk. But with that still out there, plus the release of Shaun the Sheep which is going to eat up the kids demographic (and looks FANTASTIC) and the bad word of mouth on FF I don't know if 40-50 is realistic.

Mission-Impossible did $55MIL it's opening weekend with a big name star and tons of great reviews....

MI: 5 has a 93% rating on RT. We saw it last weekend and I think it might be the best of the franchise. It's a home run movie.

And it looked it from the very 1st trailer.

no offense but I think anything with Tom Cruise is likely to be a home run. The guy is box office gold

Well...not recently. He's had four stinky openings in a row between MI films.

Rock of Ages was a disaster....$75 to film it made $38.5 domestic and opened at #3

Jack Reacher was supposed to be a franchise but didn't do enough to justify it.

Oblivion cost $120 million to make but recouped less than 3/4 of that domestically.

Edge of Tomorrow is the best of his recent non-MI movies but that had domestic grosses that were just over 1/2 of it's $180 million budget.

These MI movies have been his fall back to real big money paydays. His ownership of the franchise lets him make whatever other movie he wants and not care as much if they are home runs.

Sorry Boscoe...

But I can see a trailer and instantly assess whether or not it is something I want to pay money to see. The only 'doom' worth mentioning in FF is the box office draw. Now on the other hand, as ashamed as I am to say it... Deadpool (just saw the Red Band trailer) has my interest.

Now, I do not need it to be close to the Lee-Kirby source material because to tell the truth, I do not care enough about the source material and have always maintained that what worked on newsprint in 1962 may not work on screen almost 50 years later.

The movie does not inspire me to spend money seeing it. If it is free on TV or netflix? I will sit down and watch it at home where I can take a break whenever I want. But from what I have seen from the trailers, footage and yes even word of mouth both leaked (why 'did' Disney part ways with him?) and from the reviews of those that have seen it, I have no interest in seeing this.

You don't have to apologize to me. You didn't like those early trailers. No worries. I did. Does that make me an evil henchman, working behind the scenes to make Trask Trank rich?

Then why did you find it so necessary to cheerlead?

If 'cheerlead' is seeing a trailer for myself and feeling like the movie may have more merit than the rumors were letting on, that's not 'cheerleading'. That's thinking for oneself. Sorry that bothers you.

Doesn't bother me in the least bit. YOU are the one who's gone over the top to deny it.

Just own it dude. You were a big cheerleader for this movie.

Everyone sees it. You were a cheerleader for this movie.

Nothing to be ashamed of. You wanted it to succeed despite all the signs that pointed to it being a dud.

Just own. You were a cheerleader for this movie.

No. It's nothing like that. It's nothing like that at all.

Sure it is.

No. No it's not.

Mission-Impossible did $55MIL it's opening weekend with a big name star and tons of great reviews....

MI: 5 has a 93% rating on RT. We saw it last weekend and I think it might be the best of the franchise. It's a home run movie.

no offense but I think anything with Tom Cruise is likely to be a home run. The guy is box office gold

His last few movies that weren't in the M:I franchise have been mostly a bunch of flops. Edge of Tomorrow (while great) flopped, that action comedy with Cameron Diaz, Jack Reacher, Oblivion... all of them were pretty big flops. So he's not quite the box office gold that he was 15 years ago.

Well...not recently. He's had four stinky openings in a row between MI films.

Rock of Ages was a disaster....$75 to film it made $38.5 domestic and opened at #3

Jack Reacher was supposed to be a franchise but didn't do enough to justify it.

Oblivion cost $120 million to make but recouped less than 3/4 of that domestically.

Edge of Tomorrow is the best of his recent non-MI movies but that had domestic grosses that were just over 1/2 of it's $180 million budget.

These MI movies have been his fall back to real big money paydays. His ownership of the franchise lets him make whatever other movie he wants and not care as much if they are home runs.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-four-types-of-tom-cruise-movies/

Yes [Marvel Studios] made a very good movie with GOTG but IM2, IM3 and both Thors weren't exactly great.

But IM3 and both Thors were still anywhere between average to good (not great) movies, and generally passed critics' muster. This FF film is getting absolutely destroyed by the critics and early viewers.

I'm not trying to compare them to this FF. That was not my point. My point was against the sweeping statement that Marvel makes very good movies.

Yes the make very good movies, they also make okay movies too. They aren't perfect and should be held to the same critical standard that every movie in these threads seems to be.

Yesterday I was watching Rocky IV a movie that I think most people really like. But there are so many over the top moments, scenes that have no business being there, horrible acting yet people love that movie and rarely do i hear criticism of it.

Some people even say it's their favorite :o (not me, #1 is the by far and away the best of them).

I can only imagine how a movie like that would get torn apart in todays age.

This will probably tank Trank's big budget career for a while, but I hope it doesn't rule out people selecting him for original indie films. Listened to the third Kevin Smith interview with him today, and he's a pretty good guy.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-part-3/

Tom Cruise's domestic vs budget, last 4 movies...

Edge of Tomorrow - $100MIL BUDGET: $178MIL (-$ 78MIL)

Oblivion - $ 89MIL BUDGET: $120MIL (-$ 31MIL)

Jack Reacher - $ 80MIL BUDGET: $ 60MIL +$ 20MIL

Rock of Ages - $ 38MIL BUDGET: $ 75MIL (-$ 44MIL)

That's a Domestic loss total of $133 MILLION over his last 4 movies....

Surprising.......especially because I saw 3 of those movies at the theater!

Doesn't bother me in the least bit. YOU are the one who's gone over the top to deny it.

Just own it dude. You were a big cheerleader for this movie.

Everyone sees it. You were a cheerleader for this movie.

Nothing to be ashamed of. You wanted it to succeed despite all the signs that pointed to it being a dud.

Just own. You were a cheerleader for this movie.

lol

I already said I liked the first couple of trailers. And if you go back through this thread, I have even said it could potential fail. But I felt the earlier trailers gave a good sign.

Please get that on a t-shirt so I can wear it. I'll put it on, with pride.

No. No it's not.

It is.

;)

I'm not trying to compare them to this FF. That was not my point. My point was against the sweeping statement that Marvel makes very good movies.

Yes the make very good movies, they also make okay movies too. They aren't perfect and should be held to the same critical standard that every movie in these threads seems to be.

Yesterday I was watching Rocky IV a movie that I think most people really like. But there are so many over the top moments, scenes that have no business being there, horrible acting yet people love that movie and rarely do i hear criticism of it.

Some people even say it's their favorite :o (not me, #1 is the by far and away the best of them).

I can only imagine how a movie like that would get torn apart in todays age.

How do you gauge opinion? Popularity?

How do you gauge popularity? Box Office?

Anything else is just... opinion, and everyone has their own....

Critically, I think the first Rocky is the best, and adjusted for inflation, it pulverizes the other movies at the box office ($117MIL in 1976 equates out to $490MIL today....)

That still won't change anyone's opinion as to what THEY like best.

:shrug:

I'm sure exactly what part you are asking about with these questions

I'm going to assume you mean my point about Rocky IV. I'm only basing it on conversations I've heard with people I know or what I've heard on tv/radio when discussing the Rocky films.

I rarely base anything I say on box office numbers (I don't know where to access those nor do I know how to do the translation numbers today etc)

As for critics, I only go with the ones I trust or have agreed with their opinions on how they view films.

I think for me and how I approach movies is one of two ways. And again this is just for me and what I enjoy

If the movie I am going to watch is something of a serious quality (meaning the content, story, premise, filmmaker) then I go into it with a critical eye as I try to understand the intent of the filmmaker or the concept the movie was trying to convey.

If the movie is not of a serious nature (i.e. most comic movies would fall under this category) then I go with much lower expectation and it's really just about being entertained for that time.

I love movies. I love going to the theatre. I think it's still a wonderful experience that no home theatre (at least that I can afford) can recreate. When it's a great experience it's truly wonderful (Mad Max Fury Road). Sometimes I just want to kill 2 hours and enjoy the screen.

That's not say that my enjoyment for the first type of movie is any different, but I go into it with another reason. I want to learn and watch someone do something different, something special.

Does that make sense? most of what I wrote was me rambling.

Edited by jsilverjanet

I'm going to assume you mean my point about Rocky IV. I'm only basing it on conversations I've heard with people I know or what I've heard on tv/radio when discussing the Rocky films.

I rarely base anything I say on box office numbers (I don't know where to access those nor do I know how to do the translation numbers today etc)

As for critics, I only go with the ones I trust or have agreed with their opinions on how they view films.

I think for me and how I approach movies is one of two ways. And again this is just for me and what I enjoy

If the movie I am going to watch is something of a serious quality (meaning the content, story, premise, filmmaker) then I go into it with a critical eye as I try to understand the intent of the filmmaker or the concept the movie was trying to convey.

If the movie is not of a serious nature (i.e. most comic movies would fall under this category) then I go with much lower expectation and it's really just about being entertained for that time.

I love movies. I love going to the theatre. I think it's still a wonderful experience that no home theatre (at least that I can afford) can recreate. When it's a great experience it's truly wonderful (Mad Max Fury Road). Sometimes I just want to kill 2 hours and enjoy the screen.

That's not say that my enjoyment for the first type of movie is any different, but I go into it with another reason. I want to learn and watch someone do something different, something special.

made sense to me, though I don't think I love movies as much as you.

Maybe the Fantastic Four are just hard to translate on screen? (shrug)

No, that's not it. The first effort was low-budget and pre-CGI; you get what you pay. The second effort was lazy (rubber Thing suit; Galactus-as-a-cloud) and miscast (bubble-bleach-blond playing Sue Storm; hyper Reed Richards; metrosexual version of Victor Von Doom with trimmed eyebrows). This third effort, based on the 8 or so reviews that I have read on RT, point to two problems: a bland -script and a director who was in over his head. (Fox thought Trank was the next Steven Spielberg, gambled and lost.)

If GOTG can be one of the greatest super-hero films ever made, FF -- done correctly -- can be an outstanding franchise. At this point there is no doubt Fox will pull the plug on any sequel plans involving the current iteration. The real question is whether Fox will throw in the towel and work out some deal with Marvel Studios. :wishluck:

I sort of disagree. I think the FF have aged really poorly. In the 60s, they were groundbreaking. They were the glue that held the universe together. Into the Byrne era, that was still partly true. Since then, we've seen a book that has never maintained sales and their role in the universe has dwindled to the point that their own book was cancelled.

The elements that made the FF so great in the 60s were applied to everything. Now they just aren't unique and storylines and characters in The Avengers can serve the main purpose.

I honestly think the FF just don't reach the same level of interest and haven't in a long time.

Personally, the thing to do in my mind is make them part of the larger universe. Use Reed as the scientist and expert going into the Infinity Gauntlet. Bring Skrulls and Galactus into the Avengers universe. I'd also play up Sue Storm. Marvel has been criticized for being sexist- Sue is the perfect catalyst to that idea.

That is all dependent on Marvel getting the rights back or Fox making a Spidey like deal with Marvel.

made sense to me, though I don't think I love movies as much as you.

wait doesn't everyone sleep with their favorite DVD under their pillow hoping they dream of being on the big screen?