• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Yes.

So it doesn't get the 20% 3-D bump that Ant-Man & others did but will have to stand on its own (a la the Batman movies & MI:5).

The Batman movies (at least the second two) were filmed with Imax and The Dark Knight Rises pulled in amazing IMAX bump of over $100 million worldwide because of it (one of only 4 movies to ever do so)

When it comes to the Asian markets and poorly-reviewed movies that debut in NA first, look no further than Transformers 4. It did OK (money wise) in North America, and was reviewed really poorly (about 18% on Rotten Tomatoes) but did over 850 million in foreign box office. Most of which was China.

Now granted, Asia generally comes out for some giant robot movies, but still.

For one thing, the $120MIL budget was released back in February before the reshoots and has never been updated, and 'remarkably restrained marketing'???? Is he kidding? They've gone nuts advertising this thing in the last two months, it's campaign has been massive.

Not true. From what I've read in other sources, the budget stayed at $122 million despite the re-shoots because the re-shoots were entirely financed out of the reserve originally earmarked for the 3D conversion.

So they didn't go over-budget, but the necessity of re-shoots is why the movie's not 3D.

Source?

It would be great if they did a true Ultimate FF story. There might have been a chance to see the Marvel Zombies.

That would be cool since I love the Marvel Zombies myself, but with the rights issues I'm sure they could only use the Fantastic Four zombies since the rest of them are all the Marvel/Disney movie universe characters.

Learning how to accept criticism and disagreement without our feelings getting hurt would be a tremendous benefit.

If someone disagrees with you, it's not the end of the world. Really, it's not.

Wow. :o Who's the director for this radical new RockMyAmadeus reboot? :popcorn:

This is what a changed person sounds like. He even looks different! :o

Not that I need to (or should) defend myself, but I've never had a problem with people disagreeing with me (other than occasional mild annoyance, depending on the circumstances of the disagreement.) My issue has always been when people took things personally, and responded by making snide, snarky, hostile comments. Instead of overlooking it, I responded in kind, dialed it up, and said "oh, you want to go? By all means, let's go." It was wrong, it was stupid, and a bad attitude to have.

The online equivalent of getting into a street fight just because someone gave me a dirty look. The dirty look was the catalyst, but it usually doesn't merit a street fight. Not that others didn't escalate, also, but my responsibility is me, not them.

But no, I've never had a problem with someone just disagreeing. That's just a meme others created. Just ask Chuck. We've disagreed over the years, sometimes very vehemently, but it's never gotten personal with either of us. We've disagreed but kept it civil and professional. That's the difference that has kept us friends.

How can we learn anything, if we never face a challenge? Some of the best interactions I've ever had on this board were with people who disagreed with me. Disagreement and challenge keeps us on our toes, sharpens us, and keeps us honest. Depending on context, it's usually a very good thing.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

They could use Galactus Surfer, and what other FF characters they have the rights too plus it would introduce the Marvel alternate universe.

That's what's crazy about letting another movie fail. Fox has some KEY characters in its arsenal, and it lets another one go that all indicators are it will bomb?

That's sad.

I would say it's worth watching just to enjoy the first half

Unless it's Jessica Alba accidentally turning the clothes she has on invisible instead of herself, I'm not sure this would ever be a scenario I would rush to the movies for.... "just to enjoy the first half"?

Screw Fox, they're not getting a penny out of me. I hope it goes down in flames.

Why support the poor planning and bad ideas of some multi-million dollar studio who thinks they can just release any piece of garbage and get you to buy it.

No thanks.

and then be able to say you've seen it,

That's the payoff? To be able to say I've seen it?

Nah.

and be able to form your own opinion. :)

If they make a movie where the first part is some young kids enjoying life together that's really well done, and the second half of the movie is a dog turd in the middle of an Arizona highway slowly baking in the sun - and 99% of the reviews tell me it's that - I seriously don't need to go see it to form an opinion.

I appreciate that you want to put a positive spin on this, or at the very least give it some kind of... polite 'E' for effort, but really I don't think it deserves even that. Even the best reviews sound apologetic in their sidestepping.

But hey, you're entitled to spend your money how you please, and enjoy whatever it is you want to enjoy. I just can't see being talked into wasting 2 hours of my time and money on this.

Really, the best thing that could happen now is that this movie sets a new record for futility at the box office, and Fox throws up their hands and sells it back to Marvel. Who knows, Marvel might flub it too, but someone else deserves a chance to get it right.

Fox is 0 for 3 and that third strike looked pathetic.

Chuck, I respect what you're saying but I didn't inflate or sugar-coat my statements at all. No added politeness, just my opinion.

How can we learn anything, if we never face a challenge? Some of the best interactions I've ever had on this board were with people who disagreed with me. Disagreement and challenge keeps us on our toes, sharpens us, and keeps us honest. Depending on context, it's usually a very good thing.

Discussion is far easier and yields more fruit than debate. You don't have to change other people's minds to change your own.

Don't Hold Your Breath For That FANTASTIC FOUR/X-MEN Crossover

Recent rumors suggested that director Bryan Singer was being courted to guide both his X-Men and the Fantastic Four towards a combined cinematic universe for Fox's stable of Marvel properties. Following that, Singer himself seemed to confirm that that was indeed the plan, though he never mentioned any involvement. Now maybe the critical reaction to Josh Trank's reboot made them rethink things, but in a joint email to New York Daily News, producers Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker completely played down any connection between the two franchises.

"They exist in parallel universes. The Fantastic 4 live in a world without mutants. And the X-Men live in a world without the Fantastic 4. Crossing them over would be challenging, but we sure would love to see all those actors together, the way we had them on stage at [san Diego] Comic Con."