• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I saw Fantastic Four today and it was much better than I was expecting but nowhere near as good as I hoped. In all honesty it felt a lot like a movie that was taken out of the hands of it's director and remade by the executives. Think Aliens 3 and David Fincher! It certainly isn't the complete disaster some have it to be though and I still enjoyed it despite it's flaws.

Ok now here is the real big question...

Is Kevin Feige ok? I am hoping that he did not laugh himself to death.

Kevin Feige isn't laughing. He doesn't want anyone to remember he was an executive producer for the 2005 and 2007 Fantastic Four films, and co-produced Elektra. There is a certain amount of trial and error in getting super hero films right.

Executive producers have almost no control, and we don't know how much influence he would have had on Elektra. Avi Arad was mostly calling the shots back then, and that guy clearly had no idea when something was or wasn't a hit until it came out. He did VERY well carving out a place in Hollywood for Marvel, but he never showed any creative vision. Feige was Arad's understudy.

Everything released after Arad stepped back and Feige became president of Marvel Studios in 2007 has been solid. I wonder if Feige is the cinematic equivalent of the roles that Stan Lee, Jim Shooter, or Joe Quesada were in as editor-in-chief at Marvel Comics, just making sure all the titles make sense within the world and have a minimum level of quality.

For one thing, the $120MIL budget was released back in February before the reshoots and has never been updated, and 'remarkably restrained marketing'???? Is he kidding? They've gone nuts advertising this thing in the last two months, it's campaign has been massive.

Not true. From what I've read in other sources, the budget stayed at $122 million despite the re-shoots because the re-shoots were entirely financed out of the reserve originally earmarked for the 3D conversion.

So they didn't go over-budget, but the necessity of re-shoots is why the movie's not 3D.

Source?

Superhero News, subsequently picked up by The Daily Beast, Cinema Blend, Dark Horizons, & others.

http://superheronews.com/matthew-vaughn-fantastic-four-reshoots/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/29/is-marvel-sabotaging-the-fantastic-four-and-x-men.html

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37109/trank-denies-fantastic-four-reshoot-removal

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Did-Fantastic-Four-Bring-Another-Director-Reshoots-71634.html

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=120916

http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four-matthew-vaughn-josh-trank-reshoot-rumors/

http://movieweb.com/fantastic-four-movie-2015-reshoots-matthew-vaughn/

http://www.blastr.com/2015-5-26/heres-rumored-reason-why-fantastic-four-will-no-longer-be-3d

That article shows a tweet where Trank is firmly stating that he was the one and only director of the film. So what's the story behind his tweet from yesterday claiming the studio screwed up his vision? Was he lying in the earlier tweet where he re-affirmed himself as the only director?

I'm hoping he does do Kevin Smith's interview as planned next week and spills all the dirt. :popcorn:

That article shows a tweet where Trank is firmly stating that he was the one and only director of the film. So what's the story behind his tweet from yesterday claiming the studio screwed up his vision? Was he lying in the earlier tweet where he re-affirmed himself as the only director?

I'm hoping he does do Kevin Smith's interview as planned next week and spills all the dirt. :popcorn:

He could still have been the one and only director and still have had creative control taken out of his hands. It happens a lot when producers et al refuse the directors vision during post and do re-edits that the director may not approve of but have no final say on.

He could still have been the one and only director and still have had creative control taken out of his hands. It happens a lot when producers et al refuse the directors vision during post and do re-edits that the director may not approve of but have no final say on.

I wouldn't affirm myself as the "one and only director" when that happens...maybe he just did it to do his part to contribute to the film's marketing before the awful reviews came in. I vividly recall Mark Steven Johnson claiming that Fox did what you're suggesting to him on "Daredevil," although he may have only said that later after the film was out of theaters, I don't recall. Fox eventually released a director's cut of that film that was definitely a bit better, although not significantly so, not enough to remove most of the elements people tend to complain about.

I saw Fantastic Four today and it was much better than I was expecting but nowhere near as good as I hoped. In all honesty it felt a lot like a movie that was taken out of the hands of it's director and remade by the executives. Think Aliens 3 and David Fincher! It certainly isn't the complete disaster some have it to be though and I still enjoyed it despite it's flaws.

That has happened to me a lot. I would listen to people's reviews, my expectations would drop and then I'd be pleasantly surprised when I finally see the movie.

Exactly.

As in the known cases of 47 Ronin & Punisher: War Zone.

Single director, but both "fired" (i.e., rumored to have been locked out of the editing room) following the completion of principle photography.

While I do believe that Trank's role was minimized as Kinberg stepped in to help helm re-shoots & quarterback the editing (becoming the effective director in post), I don't actually believe the other rumor, that Vaughn was hired to do the re-shirts (purportedly the last third).

Because:

a) It wouldn't make sense to bring in an outsider to the production at that late a date; and

b) I like Vaughn. I don't want to believe he had any part of this.

The very few "positive" comments have stated that the first 2/3rds of the movie were decent but it tanks in the end. If the end of the film is what Trank had no part of, does that put him in a new light?

I don't necessarily blame Trank's creative ability for the failure of this movie. It looks like he had something really great brewing, but something went wrong, be it his personal problems or the studio's intervention.

It would be great if they did a true Ultimate FF story. There might have been a chance to see the Marvel Zombies.

How about they pull their heads out of their asses and do a proper Fantastic Four movie first. And why would you have to use the horrible Ultimate FF as the base? There's no problem with the Marvel Zombie universe being alternate to the main storyline.

The very few "positive" comments have stated that the first 2/3rds of the movie were decent but it tanks in the end. If the end of the film is what Trank had no part of, does that put him in a new light?

Nope because if he had not like what was done to his film then he should of requested Alan Smithee gets the credit

b) I like Vaughn. I don't want to believe he had any part of this.

+1

X-Men: First Class is the best of all the X-Men films. :cloud9:

Definitely in my top three. And back on May 24th, Trank had made some Twitter posts about Vaughn.

It looks like the folks on comicbookmovies.com and Superhero News started a social media campaign to discuss a rumor Josh Trank was not the sole director of the movie. Josh Wilding especially, who does articles on a few comic book movie sites.

DEBUNKED: Matthew Vaughn Directed FANTASTIC FOUR Reshoots; Josh Trank Responds

Matthew Vaughn saved the X-Men franchise, so could the Fantastic Four one be next? It certainly sounds that way, as Superhero News (definitely a reliable source) have heard that the Kingsman: The Secret Service helmer assumed the role of director for reshoots which took place in April. It was previously reported that Trank was present for those, but this obviously sheds some doubt on that.

IG1xR9e.png

At least they finally updated the article to reflect it was all rumors.

UPDATE: Fantastic Four director Josh Trank has responded to this article on Twitter to make it clear that he is indeed the sole director of the reboot. As mentioned above, that matches up to what we previously heard about reshoots. Many thanks to Josh for taking the time to set things straight!