• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mailing original art

19 posts in this topic

Hola.

For this year's Holiday Gift Raffle, I am sending one of our boardies a page of original art. The only issue is that I have never mailed original art before and am not sure what the best way to do it is in terms of packing it.

I seem to recall that when I received this myself in the mail, it was in a large, stiff cardboard mailer. But I don't know where to get those.

If anyone with experience mailing original art could throw me a couple tips it would be appreciated. Thanks very much (thumbs u

Okay, here you go...

If you can get some GOOD cardboard (meaning at least 500 pound test double walled corrugated) then use four sheets, two on each side. Leave at least a one inch border all around the art. Place the art in a plastic bad and seal it with tape (in case it rains while the package is in transit). Securely tape all sides to edges. I like paper tape but plastic will do in a pinch. Do not send via UPS (only package I've ever had damaged was through them). USPS is my favorite, insured and with tracking. If you do not have good cardboard use foam board. It's not as strong as cardboard so use six pieces, three on each side. Some people swear by masonite, I'm not a fan, but to each their own.

whenever shipping any item, including Computer parts or any paperwork/art I ALWAYS get from UPS/FED/USPS prior to shipping 2 boxes and a flexible sleeve.

I will take the first box and cut it a little larger than the artwork. I inverse the box and out the art in it. (like a file folder)

I then take out the sleeve USPS(http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/postal_parcel/Supplies/Images/ep14pe.jpg)

I prefer these

http://www.mailingbubbleenvelopes.com/photo/pl1138464-ups_tear_proof_courier_envelopesexpress_mail_bags_waterproof_shipping_bags.jpg

and once sealed. I then put the art in another uncut box. Seal that and send it.

The cut mailing box acts as a rigid holder, the flexible envelope protects it and if you grab a UPS one, it's plastic and offers some water protection

and last an outside box.

I mark with addresses the outside and the inside envelope.

Last, the priority boxes and envelopes are free at the shippers, no cost. you only pay for the outside box that you ship.

Home Depot Masonite (hardboard) sheets are the way to go. 4x8 foot sheets are $8 or so. Have them cut down in-store and you have a nearly indestructible (knock on wood) packing material to sandwich OA in.

Ok so everyone so far is telling you great ways to ship your artwork.

I am going to tell you how to ship artwork if you are a cheapo.

This is how I ship artwork on ebay, because its ebay and you get what you pay for.

I take two diamond boxes that are commonly found at any comic book store. They try to get rid of them so they are free for the grabs.

Lie two of them flat, and than put the artwork between that.

Than tape the mess out of it - bring it to your post office and pray to gary busey that it arrives safely.

100% of the time, it works 90% of the time.

I actually had a page of art (Ramona Fraydon Super Friends page) delivered to me ROLLED UP AND SHOVED IN A CARDBOARD TUBE

I gave the eBay seller a blast of they'll never forget. I make it a policy now that if an eBay seller is selling comic/art along with salt-n-pepper shakers and plumbing supplies.. best to avoid them

I've mailed hundreds of pieces of art for almost 15 years mostly through USPS, and just wanted to reiterate that the suggestions here are great. I tend to ship work for a cost of $12-$18, and I generally cut up four to five USPS boxes to sandwich the work in - I rarely, if ever, have had anything damaged in all those years.

Home Depot Masonite (hardboard) sheets are the way to go. 4x8 foot sheets are $8 or so. Have them cut down in-store and you have a nearly indestructible (knock on wood) packing material to sandwich OA in.

+1

This is the way to go.

DG

I have to respectfully disagree- While masonite was popular for a brief time earlier in the OA collecting heyday (1998-2002) it has since proven not quite so reliant. I stopped using it (and I only used it a handful of times) after I sent a package with masonite (inside of cardboard) to Mike Burkey and it got broken in half. doh!

It's strong stuff, but IF it breaks, it will crease the art. Heavy gauge cardboard won't "break" in half, IF it bends, it may not bend enough to damage the art. For the same reason, I"m a little gun shy on foam board- cuz it's great until it breaks, but then it's a liability, but probably less so, because the package is MUCH lighter. Masonite weighs a ton, and packages get tossed around a lot in transit, which I think makes masonite even more risky. If it's large art- I would not ship with masonite for sure- the weight is greater and the shipping cost more.

I have a pile of recycled OA packages that I use- and often when I open or reuse them, I notice that they may have multiple addresses inside the package where they have been repurposed. I've seen names and addresses of many well known collectors and dealers that were not involved in my transactions. I wonder what the record is for number of times a package has been re-used? hm

I actually had a page of art (Ramona Fraydon Super Friends page) delivered to me ROLLED UP AND SHOVED IN A CARDBOARD TUBE

I gave the eBay seller a blast of they'll never forget. I make it a policy now that if an eBay seller is selling comic/art along with salt-n-pepper shakers and plumbing supplies.. best to avoid them

Vince Colletta's son was doing that- I was as polite as possible in telling him that was a very BAD thing to do. 3 pages, rolled up in a tube. DO you know what that does to paste up? No bueno. (tsk)

+1

This is the way to go.

DG

I have to respectfully disagree- While masonite was popular for a brief time earlier in the OA collecting heyday (1998-2002) it has since proven not quite so reliant. I stopped using it (and I only used it a handful of times) after I sent a package with masonite (inside of cardboard) to Mike Burkey and it got broken in half. doh!

It's strong stuff, but IF it breaks, it will crease the art. Heavy gauge cardboard won't "break" in half, IF it bends, it may not bend enough to damage the art. For the same reason, I"m a little gun shy on foam board- cuz it's great until it breaks, but then it's a liability, but probably less so, because the package is MUCH lighter. Masonite weighs a ton, and packages get tossed around a lot in transit, which I think makes masonite even more risky. If it's large art- I would not ship with masonite for sure- the weight is greater and the shipping cost more.

I have a pile of recycled OA packages that I use- and often when I open or reuse them, I notice that they may have multiple addresses inside the package where they have been repurposed. I've seen names and addresses of many well known collectors and dealers that were not involved in my transactions. I wonder what the record is for number of times a package has been re-used? hm

I'm sure there's an example of pretty much every packing material on earth being obliterated by every shipping service on earth. Masonite has proven reliable for me and many other collectors I've known for years. Your milage may vary.

+1

This is the way to go.

DG

I'm sure there's an example of pretty much every packing material on earth being obliterated by every shipping service on earth. Masonite has proven reliable for me and many other collectors I've known for years. Your milage may vary.

If Masonite gets broken in half, that is PROOF that the shipping company was negligent! Anything heavy enough to break Masonite in two would destroy a cardboard or foam board package. A claims adjuster could write up anything less as inadequate packaging which would result in a denied claim. The weight of the Masonite and any added postage is the LEAST of my concerns. Masonite isn't all that heavy. One Masonite sheet big enough to protect a standard size page of original art weighs less than 1.5lbs. I weighed a 13" x 13" x" 6" cardboard box filled with styrofoam as comparison. They weighed the same.

DG

I mail art by placing the art in a plastic protective sleeve and between 6 medium flat rate USPS boxes (3 on either side). It's thick, it's heavy but costs $11-ish to ship.

I've had art crease or bend when sent to me between too little cardboard (one piece on each side) and between one piece of foamcore on each side.

I also get a kick out of looking at the addresses of the previous people who have reused packing material. Several times I have known the other collectors also! I think 3 previous addreses is the most I have encountered, many times two.