• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 94 selling for below guide

115 posts in this topic

Hey Guys. I have been in the Market for a nice X-Men 94 and have noticed, at least on EBay, there not even getting guide prices. A CGC 8.5 Off-White pages sold for $405.00 I was the underbidder. I bought a 8.0 White pages for $380.00

What are your thoughts on why this book is selling for over $100 + below guide??

Seems too be either a trend, or maybe just luck on those books. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Far from an authority, I would imagine that there are several factors: people want the 10.0/9.8 Far more of the 8's with less buyers. Sending large sums of cash to ebay sellers might scare some people. Economic downturn might limit spending.

Hey Guys. I have been in the Market for a nice X-Men 94 and have noticed, at least on EBay, there not even getting guide prices. A CGC 8.5 Off-White pages sold for $405.00 I was the underbidder. I bought a 8.0 White pages for $380.00

What are your thoughts on why this book is selling for over $100 + below guide??

Seems too be either a trend, or maybe just luck on those books. Your opinions would be appreciated.

The book is relatively easy to find in high grade. This depresses the auction prices of the lower grade books.

I think the toughest grades to sell a book in (with the exception of rare GA material) are VF or VF+, especially if it's a key. Low grade and uber high grade, however, almost always do will if the pricing is fair. But if you're talking about a person who's willing to spend 300 or 400 bucks on a comic in VF+ (and let's admit, we're in the minority, folks), what's to stop that person from spending 600 or 700 on a NM copy? It's hard to find that someone who's willing to spend 400 but not 600....in the years to come, I wouldn't be suprised if OS notes a downward spiral of books in VF.

Thanks Guys. I just had a offer sent too me. A CGC 9.6 White Pages for $575.. I know the guide value, and yes I got it, simply too hold onto for a while and flip... It was a local guy I've done business with before.... Makes me wonder if it is just this book, or a indication of things too come?? Now I have the 8.0 too keep, it's nice enough, and the 9.6 too hopefully make a few $$$'s on...

Thanks Guys. I just had a offer sent too me. A CGC 9.6 White Pages for $575.. I know the guide value, and yes I got it, simply too hold onto for a while and flip... It was a local guy I've done business with before.... Makes me wonder if it is just this book, or a indication of things too come?? Now I have the 8.0 too keep, it's nice enough, and the 9.6 too hopefully make a few $$$'s on...

Honestly, you should do the opposite. Hold the 8 for awhile then flip it and keep the 9.6.

Just my opinion, but books like X-Men 94 go in waves, it is hard as hell to get a good one for a couple months and then it seems like they flood the market (like now) and that creates conditions like you are seeing right now ($100 below guide).

Flop that 8.0 back on eBay at the right time, make a few $$ and hang on to that 9.6 thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't be suprised if OS notes a downward spiral of books in VF.

If 9.x prices continue to rise, many collectors will eventually be priced out of these grades and I think you'll see more demand and competition for 8.0 and 8.5s. Rising prices is a slow chain reaction that will eventually work its way down the grading scale.

Thanks Guys. I just had a offer sent too me. A CGC 9.6 White Pages for $575.. I know the guide value, and yes I got it, simply too hold onto for a while and flip... It

Am I missing something here????

You got an X-Men 94 CGC 9.6 for $575? confused.gif

I wouldn't be suprised if OS notes a downward spiral of books in VF.

If 9.x prices continue to rise, many collectors will eventually be priced out of these grades and I think you'll see more demand and competition for 8.0 and 8.5s. Rising prices is a slow chain reaction that will eventually work its way down the grading scale.

Hmmm...I'm more inclined to believe that the price spreads will continue to increase, with only high-grade copies appreciating (yes, this implies declining price guide listings for low/mid-grade books). Even before CGC, most silver and bronze age marvels were not selling at guide levels in VF and below...

Hmmm...I'm more inclined to believe that the price spreads will continue to increase, with only high-grade copies appreciating (yes, this implies declining price guide listings for low/mid-grade books).

I dunno. For your scenario to work out, it:

* implies that few collectors will ever be forced out at certain price levels and have to settle for lesser grades. Collectors will continue to pay more and more and more regardless of the cost.

OR

* The collecting community will dwindle to the point where a small group of affluent collectors will be competing for the relatively few high grade books with little other activity in the market.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks Guys. I just had a offer sent too me. A CGC 9.6 White Pages for $575.. I know the guide value, and yes I got it, simply too hold onto for a while and flip... It

Am I missing something here????

You got an X-Men 94 CGC 9.6 for $575? confused.gif

A scam solicitation perhaps?