• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 94 selling for below guide

115 posts in this topic

Zipper 68. Yes, i got a X-Men 94 CGC 9.6 White Pages for $575.00 I couldnt beleive it either. Really couldnt afford too buy it, due to house renovations. But I just couldnt pass it up.. I would of regretted it. Apparently he had it sold, and the buyer backed out for some reason. I figure he sold it too me, just to get the money back. maybe make a few bucks, maybe. Im keeping the 8.0 I won on Ebay. Will hold onto the 9.6 for a while and try too make some $$$ off of it...

All I want to know is...Does anyone even have a 4.0 - 5.5 X-men 94 for cheap smile.gif

I've got a CGC graded FN 6.0 copy for sale for 25% below guide, and I'll pay for priority shipping & insurance. Interested?

I guess I like a nice VF at 50% of guide a lot better than a NM at 4x guide....I will take the extra 3 spine stresses. I am in the minority now, but I think that as high end slabs hit the stratosphere (as they have been doing) a lot more people will be looking at nice mid-grade and low high-grade. I do collect late silver DCs and the 50% rule applies to them as well. On EBay I have seen silver age Batman stuff in 3.0-5.0 go for next to nothing.

Two quick points:

1) VF books don't have three extra spine stresses compared to NM. Maybe eight or ten and lots of other type of wear (i.e. corner creases, small tears in the overhang, small chips out and some fading of colors and gloss).

2) Go to any large national convention, and you could probably put together almost any SA/BA Marvel title in low to mid-grade ten times over. Trying put a high-grade run (i.e. 9.0) and there would be titles that you couldn't get half the books in that grade. DC would be harder in any condition.

POINT: The reason SABA books below 9.0 (other major keys) sell well below guide is because they are NOT SCARCE. Never have been, and never will (at least in our lifetime).

I am aware of the difference between VF and NM, but thanks for the reminder. Since you missed my point, I will restate it. I know that SA/BA books are rare in HG and I realize that slabbed HG books are the pinnacle of the market now. What I was saying was that in the future who is to say that people won't lament the F or VF SA books they passed over in at 1/3 or 1/2 guide in favor of something at 4x guide in NM? Neither you nor I can predict the future of the market. To assume that something should sell below guide since it is not scare is foolish. Hulk 181, BA X-Men or hot modern books are anything but scarce. They sell well because demand often outweighs supply, not because they are rare or scarce. In the future there might be a large call for mid-grade SA books, a demand that outweighs the supply. Right now the demand is not there and the supply is, scarcity has nothing to do with it. If scarcity is all you are concerned with, go buy slabbed 10.0 moderns.

Not even the 9.0's are getting decent money anymore it seems. I recenly came into a nice & glossy VF 8.0 #94 that I didn't even think twice about submitting. If you aren't going to get a 9.2 or better it is just not worth it. There so many of them out there. I just put it up on Ebay (shameless plug). Here is a scan:

94.jpg

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...allluckyscomics

What I was saying was that in the future who is to say that people won't lament the F or VF SA books they passed over in at 1/3 or 1/2 guide in favor of something at 4x guide in NM? Neither you nor I can predict the future of the market. To assume that something should sell below guide since it is not scare is foolish. Hulk 181, BA X-Men or hot modern books are anything but scarce. They sell well because demand often outweighs supply, not because they are rare or scarce. In the future there might be a large call for mid-grade SA books, a demand that outweighs the supply. Right now the demand is not there and the supply is, scarcity has nothing to do with it. If scarcity is all you are concerned with, go buy slabbed 10.0 moderns.

Nothing wrong with buying Mid-Grade books. They look pretty good and you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

But, 30 years of comic book collecting shows that there is NO SCARCITY of SA mid-grade books. So unless demand increases ten fold (and I don't believe that's going to happen), I don't see a significant increase in mid-grade books (excluding the true key issues). 30 years of collecting also shows a trend of increased demand for high-grade issues (a trend not just in comic books).

Also, 10.0 slabbed moderns aren't scarce at all. screwy.gif

What I was saying was that in the future who is to say that people won't lament the F or VF SA books they passed over in at 1/3 or 1/2 guide in favor of something at 4x guide in NM? Neither you nor I can predict the future of the market. To assume that something should sell below guide since it is not scare is foolish. Hulk 181, BA X-Men or hot modern books are anything but scarce. They sell well because demand often outweighs supply, not because they are rare or scarce. In the future there might be a large call for mid-grade SA books, a demand that outweighs the supply. Right now the demand is not there and the supply is, scarcity has nothing to do with it. If scarcity is all you are concerned with, go buy slabbed 10.0 moderns.

Nothing wrong with buying Mid-Grade books. They look pretty good and you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

But, 30 years of comic book collecting shows that there is NO SCARCITY of SA mid-grade books. So unless demand increases ten fold (and I don't believe that's going to happen), I don't see a significant increase in mid-grade books (excluding the true key issues). 30 years of collecting also shows a trend of increased demand for high-grade issues (a trend not just in comic books).

Also, 10.0 slabbed moderns aren't scarce at all. screwy.gif

Without getting into a pointless protracted debate, I agree with you about scarcity. I don't think demand has to increase ten-fold though. In fact, all I think it would take for interest in VF of F/VF issues to skyrocket is a continuance of the current HG trend. Prices for HG stuff is getting pretty crazy and it has to top out sometime. If prices for HG comics continue to get such multiples, I think collectors (not investors) will have no choice but to go to VF instead, which would drive up prices. I know that I have been priced right out of the market, others may not be far behind.

all responses are valid. Scarcity, slower/less aggressive bidding, and the fact that those collecting upper grades all help to depress prices of lower grades. I've even seen this trend on certain 9.4 books as collectors target 9.6 or higher certified books to upgrade existing copies.

I think instead of resorting to VF, some collectors of HG will just be satisfied to own fewer books. That's kind of where I'm at right now. I still buy a lot of raw stuff, but I buy HG slabs knowing that it will curtail the number of books I'm able to buy. It's a trade-off that I'm ok with, for now. Those slabs take up more boxspace, anyhow.

Prices for HG stuff is getting pretty crazy and it has to top out sometime. If prices for HG comics continue to get such multiples, I think collectors (not investors) will have no choice but to go to VF instead, which would drive up prices.

That's not really how things work. Investors would instead move to other high-grade areas if prices rise, which is what has been happening.

Prices for HG stuff is getting pretty crazy and it has to top out sometime. If prices for HG comics continue to get such multiples, I think collectors (not investors) will have no choice but to go to VF instead, which would drive up prices.

That's not really how things work. Investors would instead move to other high-grade areas if prices rise, which is what has been happening.

I agree...for investors. I specifically said collectors, who collect what they like and would not be content to just move into some other area.

In the future there might be a large call for mid-grade SA books, a demand that outweighs the supply. Right now the demand is not there and the supply is, scarcity has nothing to do with it.

Why would there be a big demand in the future? There are very few new comic readers, so where will this demand come from?

All I want to know is...Does anyone even have a 4.0 - 5.5 X-men 94 for cheap smile.gif

I've got a CGC graded FN 6.0 copy for sale for 25% below guide, and I'll pay for priority shipping & insurance. Interested?

I think that would be a nice book to have but it's still probly out of my price range frown.gif

I agree, completely full of it. Yeah, a dealer just left $4,000 on the table in selling a 9.6 for $575? Whatever. Unless you were exchanging sexual favors as well as cash confused-smiley-013.gif Please learn the English language and how to spell before you assume everyone else here to be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I agree...for investors. I specifically said collectors, who collect what they like and would not be content to just move into some other area.

I agree with you October Fire. Midgrade comics have slowly gone up in price for decades long before there were "comic investors" trading slabs like tech stocks. If anyone doesn't believe this, then please sell me all your Silver Age VFs at 1985 prices.... there should be no difference, right?

High grade slab investors are NOT the only factor driving the market. Thinking otherwise is very myopic. Some folks have to realize the BSDs (and BSD wannabes) are a tiny portion of the overall collecting community.

There are plenty of peons (like me) who are happy with Silver Age books below 9.4. The fact of the matter is when high grade books hit a certain price ceiling, collectors are forced to settle for less gradewise. As more collectors get priced out of high grades, that will create increased demand for 8.0-9.0 books. They may be in good supply and the prices won't skyrocket, but I think it's wrong to presume they won't go up at all.

makepoint.gif

There are plenty of peons (like me) who are happy with Silver Age books below 9.4. The fact of the matter is when high grade books hit a certain price ceiling, collectors are forced to settle for less gradewise. As more collectors get priced out of high grades, that will create increased demand for 8.0-9.0 books. They may be in good supply and the prices won't skyrocket, but I think it's wrong to presume they won't go up at all.

While I agree with your statement with older (say 1964 or earlier books), that they can / should continue to increase in price, there really is a HUGE supply of Mid-Grade books. In the past 30 years, SUPPLY has ALWAYS outstripped DEMAND for these books and probably always will.

Also many of the NM books of a Decade ago are mostly todays VF's. And therefore if you bought the NM books for $100 ten years ago, you will get lucky to get $100 for that VF today (unless you pay $30 to slab it). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zipper 68. Yes, i got a X-Men 94 CGC 9.6 White Pages for $575.00 I couldnt beleive it either. Really couldnt afford too buy it, due to house renovations. But I just couldnt pass it up.. I would of regretted it. Apparently he had it sold, and the buyer backed out for some reason. I figure he sold it too me, just to get the money back. maybe make a few bucks, maybe. Im keeping the 8.0 I won on Ebay. Will hold onto the 9.6 for a while and try too make some $$$ off of it...

i hope you realize why many folks here view this "deal" as incredulous!?!?!?

in addition to the last 2 sales documented on GPA that averaged $4500, the last 4 copies before that which sold from july '03 to dec '03, went for in excess of $6,000 each.

so how could/would a DEALER sell a copy at a potential 90% discount?!?!?!

have we established whether the book was professionally graded and slabbed?? if not, that could explain things as the possibility for overgrading and restoration exist. if this has been given a blue label by CGC, the dealer in question has gone NUTS...............

it would help satisfy everyone's curiosity if you were to post a nice picture here. thanks...... devil.gif