• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 94 selling for below guide

115 posts in this topic

While I wish CGC/speculator fever was over, I definitely have to disagree. The prices realized on many HG keys just in the past few months on ebay is crazy. I think 9.4 doesn't even do it for these speculators anymore. They need 9.6 or better. And people are still paying stupid money for 9.9's and 10's of loser titles that wouldn't be worth a nickel in VF.

I don't see it ending anytime soon.

In my question, I was excluding Moderns (and therefore almost all 9.9/10.0).

While I agree that certain key issues in ultra-high grade seem to command extreme prices, I really don't see much speculation for 99% of the CGC books out there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also agree that CGC 9.6 is more the standard then 9.4. Up until six months ago, the only CGC 9.6 Silver-Age book I had was one that I slabbed myself. Now I have 30-40 9.6's. 893whatthe.gif Somebody, please make me stop. insane.gif

While I wish CGC/speculator fever was over, I definitely have to disagree. The prices realized on many HG keys just in the past few months on ebay is crazy. I think 9.4 doesn't even do it for these speculators anymore. They need 9.6 or better. And people are still paying stupid money for 9.9's and 10's of loser titles that wouldn't be worth a nickel in VF.

I don't see it ending anytime soon.

In my question, I was excluding Moderns (and therefore almost all 9.9/10.0).

While I agree that certain key issues in ultra-high grade seem to command extreme prices, I really don't see much speculation for 99% of the CGC books out there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also agree that CGC 9.6 is more the standard then 9.4. Up until six months ago, the only CGC 9.6 Silver-Age book I had was one that I slabbed myself. Now I have 30-40 9.6's. 893whatthe.gif Somebody, please make me stop. insane.gif

Geez you do have a problem............. insane.gif

I worry about the long term with 9.6s vs 9.4s. While they are both spectacular grades in SA.---the only differences between them is one maybe two very minor defects. Oh, and a 50% price increase. I just dont think this spread will always be there. Either the 9.6 will stagnate and the 9.4s and 9.2s catch up (making lower high grades the better buy today...) or, the 9.6s will FALL in price closer to a 20 to 25% markup over 9.4s and th e9.4s stay where they are or fall but less than 9.6s. The only winning scenario is if prices keep rising .... and while I never agreed with the crash crowd, it is true that nothing rises forever....

I worry about the long term with 9.6s vs 9.4s. While they are both spectacular grades in SA.---the only differences between them is one maybe two very minor defects. Oh, and a 50% price increase. I just dont think this spread will always be there. Either the 9.6 will stagnate and the 9.4s and 9.2s catch up (making lower high grades the better buy today...) or, the 9.6s will FALL in price closer to a 20 to 25% markup over 9.4s and th e9.4s stay where they are or fall but less than 9.6s. The only winning scenario is if prices keep rising .... and while I never agreed with the crash crowd, it is true that nothing rises forever....

Bottom line, the highest grade books will always hold their value over the lower grade books. The spread between low and high grade prices will continue to widen. And the value of the common books in 9.6 will decrease while the value of the 9.8 or 9.9 books will increase.

Bottom line, the highest grade books will always hold their value over the lower grade books. The spread between low and high grade prices will continue to widen. And the value of the common books in 9.6 will decrease while the value of the 9.8 or 9.9 books will increase.

This I pretty much agree with.

I still think that:

1) There is room for growth on those books (in any grade) that are hard to get

2) There is significant downside to those books that have a) already been over

hyped and b) fairly common

Also, if I was a betting man on what SA/BA titles have the most room for growth (especially in the high grades), it would be those that ARE NOT on the REGISTRY YET. Regardless of what one would want to think, there is still a lot of EGO involved in collecting and once other collectors can see what other people have, it becomes part competition.

If you tell yourself this enough times, you may actualy start to believe it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While I agree that certain key issues in ultra-high grade seem to command extreme prices, I really don't see much speculation for 99% of the CGC books out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you tell yourself this enough times, you may actualy start to believe it.

Most books less than CGC 9.0, sell for less than guide. And once you factor in the grading cost, they sell for A LOT less than guide.

Please realize that I know nothing about MODERNS, so if there is still rampant speculation there, I could be wrong. grin.gif