• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many CGC PLOD's Do You Own?

70 posts in this topic

wow - i have more than most folks apparently.

i've purchased a number of Key books that were plods like, Showcase #4, all-america # 19 (1st atom), detective #33, Marvel mystery #4, and some others like flash #1, all-star #3, Torch #3 (#2), etc that haven't been plodded yet. i also have a handful of purchases that came back purple.

probably a dozen in all, that i'm aware of. the ones i bought knowingly are among my prize posessions........... cloud9.gif

here's a Beauty;

1098589574467_flash__1.jpg

From a pure investment point of view, probably the best bargains in the current marketplace. With the current paranoia surrounding restored books, these gems are selling at a deep deep discount to guide. The smart buyers with a limited budget should be picking these books up since they have probably the biggest opportunity for growth in today's market.

Please note that I am referring to GA keys with slight professional restoration as opposed to restored BA or Copper Age books in my above statement. To me it looks like Burntboy has a pretty impressive collection of PLOD's which would be the envy of almost any collection. thumbsup2.gif

wow - i have more than most folks apparently.

i've purchased a number of Key books that were plods like, Showcase #4, all-america # 19 (1st atom), detective #33, Marvel mystery #4, and some others like flash #1, all-star #3, Torch #3 (#2), etc that haven't been plodded yet. i also have a handful of purchases that came back purple.

probably a dozen in all, that i'm aware of. the ones i bought knowingly are among my prize posessions........... cloud9.gif

here's a Beauty;

1098589574467_flash__1.jpg

From a pure investment point of view, probably the best bargains in the current marketplace. With the current paranoia surrounding restored books, these gems are selling at a deep deep discount to guide. The smart buyers with a limited budget should be picking these books up since they have probably the biggest opportunity for growth in today's market.

Please note that I am referring to GA keys with slight professional restoration as opposed to restored BA or Copper Age books in my above statement. To me it looks like Burntboy has a pretty impressive collection of PLOD's which would be the envy of almost any collection. thumbsup2.gif

thank you sir...........i bought a lot of stupid stuff as well, but the Plods are probably not going to cost me any money over the ensuing years....... cloud9.gif

I could not agree more. I may not be the oldest collector, or the one with the most knowledge, but if I had the money this is the stuff I would be picking up. I am always shocked at the deals people get on PLODs...and it seems like the amount of restoration done is often not taken into account with pricing. I am curious, is there a large price gap between slight P and moderate P? What about cleaning and pressing as opposed to light color touch? It seems like the market has shoved these books aside when they often represent the best example of the number and title as far as eye-appeal goes. It's a shame I am still in school, cause I would be picking up GA PLODs like crazy if I had some cash.

I could not resist posting my favorite PLOD. I have two PLODs that are extensive but they are both keys so I have no plans to divest them. acclaim.gif

All-American16.jpg

WOW! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What's the other PLOD key that you own?

I could not resist posting my favorite PLOD. I have two PLODs that are extensive but they are both keys so I have no plans to divest them. acclaim.gif

All-American16.jpg

WOW! 893applaud-thumb.gif

DOUBLE WOW!!!!!!

that is a super key and a beauty thumbsup2.gif

asm62slab.jpg

is it just me or is this a really nice 9.0?

Its not just you, that book is very nice! Where is the glue on the spine exatcly?? Could you elaborate on this, I'm curious.

Yeah.....it's super looking and really white. Steve B. himself checked out the graders notes and they said there was a touch of glue around one of the staples. Dang! That's it! Back is clean too! I bet it's more along the lines of a 9.4 compared to some of the books I see.

AllStar8.jpg

893whatthe.gif

AllStar8.jpg

893whatthe.gif

Jeepers Doilby! PLOD or not - that is a Jeepers Book! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Great books!

I've written several times about how I got burned on an "unrestored VF"

copy of WDC&S 31 in 2001. I paid around around $2,050 (to make matters

worse, arch-nemesis mamanook was the underbidder) to a seller in Eugene,

Oregon. By the time the book came back from CGC, he was NARU-ed and long

gone. A few months later, I resold it for less than $250 - just to get

it out of my sight. This experience changed my approach to buying comics:

I've been much less naiive and a strong supporter of CGC ever since.

I finally dug up a picture of the book the other day:

wdc31_done.jpg

I have nothing against restoration as long as it is described accurately.

That was the case for this WDC&S #7 that I bought raw from Ed Sobolak

a few years ago. He is one of the most honest and pleasant sellers I've

ever done business with.

wdcs7_m.jpg

Just for diversity, here is another great PLOD I owned. I was never able

to spot the color touch and the book was drop dead gorgeous.

adv67_front.jpg