• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help.. Selling a Bill Ward piece, LB Cole painting & a Kirby Problem

26 posts in this topic

Question, I have a large Bill Ward piece and an LB Cole Cover painting recreation of Jungle #21. I looked though the list of art dealers, can anyone give me a recommendation of some of the honest dealers?

I also got a Kirby 2 page Splash (Eternals #9) page years ago out of a collection. unfortunately the guy had it mounted to a foam core board. I know it kills the value, but is there any value left. It would look nice framed....

Thoughts and thanks for the Help!

Mike

I also got a Kirby 2 page Splash (Eternals #9) page years ago out of a collection. unfortunately the guy had it mounted to a foam core board. I know it kills the value, but is there any value left. It would look nice framed....

Thoughts and thanks for the Help!

Mike

Yes, a piece mounted to foam core board isn't worth as much as a piece that is not mounted to foam core board. But the bottom line is that a 2-page Kirby splash is still a 2-page Kirby splash, and will still go for a respectable price.

I had a similar situation. I had paid good money to what I thought was a respectable framer to frame a really nice Brian Bolland Animal Man cover. Years later, I sold the piece. When removed the page from its frame for shipping to the buyer, I found that the framer (by this time long since out of business) had glued the page to foam core board.

The buyer was the ultimate class act about the whole thing. He knew somebody who professionally restores art, and could safely remove the foam core. So the buyer accepted the page as it was. I'm sure it cost him to have it restored, but I have no idea what something like that costs.

The bottom line is that removing the foam core can be done. Although the cost of removing the foam core may factor into somebody's bid, the pages still have significant value.

Thanks, I am just nervous shipping these things :) besides, I have no idea what to really ask...

Mike

Selling anything here requires a selling price but if you're not sure what it's worth you can put it up for auction with a high bin price you'd be willing to accept.

e.g.

Eternals Kirby 2 page splash

For auction, minimum bid $1,000

BIN price $10,000

To be fair to buyers you should set a auction end date, accurately describe the page or pages, state how it will be shipped and shipping costs and provide plenty of pics.

A Kirby Eternals Double splash is very desirable even on a foam board and I'd be bidding in a heartbeat.

Wow, that's a gorgeous Kirby DPS :applause:

The tan extended section appears to be drawn on a separate sheet (?) if so, perhaps, mounting on a foam board helped keep the two sheets aligned for display/framing. Regardless, a wonderful piece that any Kirby / Eternals fan will treasure.

Be careful... the gloss on the white areas of that Kirby DPS make me think it is actually mostly a photostat (copy) with some actual hand-drawn art at the bottom. That will significantly decrease the value and interest in this piece.

Best thing is to get to a second opinion from another collector.

It's a stat. I own the original. Your stat will be smooth to the touch, reflective and there won't be pencil marks on it. Someone at Marvel inked the outer bottom inch or so to make it proportionally correct for printing. And now that I see this, the statwork makes sense -- for some reason, Jack drew this on larger board than normal.

It's still worth something -- it's what they shot the actual comic book from -- but the only original artwork is that bit on the bottom, which isn't by Kirby.

Sounds like you may have found a buyer for the Eternals piece if Glen wants to keep the two pieces together.

Value wise since it's a production stat, you're not looking at a huge value - couple hundred dollars if someone wants it just for the great image.

Would be interested in seeing the Cole and Ward pieces.

The Artwork is on real flimsy paper that measures 22 1/2 x 17. It was attached to the poster board you see but has come loose. There are a few tears in a piece but there are not big and don't damage the drawings

I am not sure what I want, so I will probably take offers. If it is a good trade, I would like modern key Slabbed books. I am getting back after 15 years, so I missed a lot :)

I know the Kirby is not worth much either, so I would take trades for that as well...

What are you looking to get on the ward piece? And what are exact measurements? Thanks

48 24 36