• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,158 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2024 at 12:28 AM, OtherEric said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of the Hardcover Permabooks before.

First, paperbacks with dust-jackets, now paperbacks that are hardcovers! What will they think of next lol

Seriously, those little Perma hardcovers are pretty cool. Most of the first 101 of the Perma "P" series are hardcovers and mostly non-fiction, but those went away and Doubleday eventually sold the line to Pocket, who changed it to the more successful "M" series which had some very collectible pb's, including the 3 James Bond titles and the Ed McBain (Evan Hunter) books.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:54 PM, Darwination said:

So, this may be a dicey question.  How much do I have to be on the lookout for abridged versions of novels when it comes to the vintage paperbacks?

Depends on if you're going to read them or not. Abridgement is all over the place on pbs, it's usually notated somewhere on the cover or inside whether it's abridged or "NOT ONE WORD CUT!" lol

On 3/28/2024 at 5:43 AM, Surfing Alien said:

First, paperbacks with dust-jackets, now paperbacks that are hardcovers! What will they think of next lol

Seriously, those little Perma hardcovers are pretty cool. Most of the first 101 of the Perma "P" series are hardcovers and mostly non-fiction, but those went away and Doubleday eventually sold the line to Pocket, who changed it to the more successful "M" series which had some very collectible pb's, including the 3 James Bond titles and the Ed McBain (Evan Hunter) books.

There was a company that made little machines and sold them to Libraries that would take a paperback and 'Perma Bind' it in heavy clear plastic using the book and the original cover to make a small more durable hard cover. The company may have been called Perma Bind, I don't recall. I'm sure you have all seen ex-Library copies of paperbacks bound thusly. At least I think that's what mostly happened as I believe they also bound paperbacks into little hardcovers and sold them themselves presumably to Libraries. I know this as I once bought some Books from a Book Rep-a salesman who represented various publishers-and he had two books bound this way without Library markings, card pockets etc. One was a mid 1960's Harlan Ellison Book which I kept but can't put my hands on it. When I do I will post it. A Pyramid (NO MOUTH/SCREAM?). Anyway the Books I bought from the rep were his Salesman's copies-examples he showed Bookstore buyers to give them a feel for what the Book was. He represented more than one publisher but I don't remember which ones-mostly smaller ones, I think. Anyway, it seems likely he repped for the Perma Bind company and these Books were some sort of legit, albeit rare issues of the Books. I was also told at some dim time in the past that you could buy a binding machine and do it yourself as I said earlier, but these copies seemed to indicate a more regular Bookstore aimed path for copies like this.

The Groff Conklin Book is not what I'm talking about. I've seen this before as well as other titles done this way though I have no idea what they were. Shoulda bought 'em as they were unusual!

I got Ellison to sign my copy of the clear plastic bound Perma Bind and he was baffled by it. "Never seen this! Probably didn't get paid for it..."

Edited by Book Guy