• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Was looking for something else when I came across these two.  For the life of me I can't remember if I posted them here when I got them, so showing them again.  I really do need to sit down and read them... I've got a decent amount of Brown in my collection, but almost all of it is SF:

Bantam_1436.jpg

Bantam_2135.jpg

Looks like for #1436 that Mitchell Hooks just reworked the cover he did for the John Ross MacDonald Bantam #1295 that RD posted a few pages back. It was only a year later lol - I hope he got paid twice :)

On 10/13/2020 at 10:42 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Here's a bunch of my latest arrivals.  Apologies in advance for the long post.  :eek:  Start off with a couple of classics-

IMG_5324.thumb.JPG.dcc7282f3e7efe0a89aa3844eceb9c23.JPG

Quoting this so people can see what they think of @Surfing Alien's suggestion that the Bantam 1436 cover reworks the 1295 on one page.  The one does look quite a bit like a rough sketch for the other, he may have had the one in mind when he did the second one.  Or it may just have been a fairly common design element on paperback covers, although I think it really got going later in the 60's and these would be fairly early examples.

6 hours ago, damonwad said:

I'm sure there's earlier but this is November, 1946. 

Not my copy.

473533909_weirdtalesnov1946.thumb.jpg.7232558564260c1c007266073d7ae3e1.jpg

Nice find, that's beautiful. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for one. I took a cursory look and see tons of green men/aliens in the early pulps and a few green women slightly later in the 50's but this one is the earliest green girl so far. Granted, there are a ton of them to look through.

4 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Not sure what happened with my phone last night with the above 2 posts. I was just trying to post the "Winnah" emoji for Eric moving the goal post back to 1941 lol I got called away and didn't realize the weirdness until now. Anyway, nice find :)

I once had a problem with the board software where everything I posted was posting twice.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

I finally received my latest order from Abe books. Before I post any of those I will post my other vintage book found at a local bookstore. I had quite a while to search their mystery shelves and may just have bought out all of the books with cover prices of 25 and 35 cents. A check on-line reveals there are at least a few ardent fans of Brett Halliday's novels. The cover has potential but is slightly marred by an oversize title.

scan0363.jpg

I have a lot of Mike Shayne novels.  :headbang: