• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Haha you caught it before I could delete those extra pics. I hate this forum's phone performance :sumo: The lag makes it tough to be precise with, or to delete, pics you've  uploaded but didn't post yet. That said, I don't know of a single soul in the world who would pay that ask but it's a rare and super cool book...

There are 2 recent editions (2011) One had 750 copies, the asking price is $50, the other was limited to 1500 copies, the asking price is $20.  Dreamhaven books has both.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

A couple pickups today.  The Avon lists 12 books both on the inside and the back cover and has globe endpapers, so should be a first based on what we've discussed here.  The Lancer is a bit outside my normal collecting goals, but looked interesting for four bucks:

Avon_006.jpg

Nice one.

I'd agree it's a first and any of the first 12 books with Globe ep's, 12 titles inside and 12 on back cover should be firsts unless new info comes out. The only slight question would be that laminated Big Four copy you pointed out earlier but I'd go with your prototype theory on that one.

'The Mechanical Monarch' is a great science fiction novel. My copy, with the blurb from 'British SF PBs' by Harbottle and Holland, shows both the funkiness and glory of the mushroom jungle. One of my fave books under the wrong title... I like the way Ace worked 'Extra Man' in there, and suspect that Tubb was inspired by the original 1953 appearance of the title yarn of this PKD collection which has some similar themes...

img838.jpg

0mechmon.jpg

0varman.jpg

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A couple pickups today.  The Avon lists 12 books both on the inside and the back cover and has globe endpapers, so should be a first based on what we've discussed here.  The Lancer is a bit outside my normal collecting goals, but looked interesting for four bucks:

Avon_006.jpg

Lancer 73-446.jpg

Definite 1st Avon. Well.. this says "5th big printing" right up top, so at least we got that 😅 Nice book!

Edited by Surfing Alien

4 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

'The Mechanical Monarch' is a great science fiction novel. My copy, with the blurb from 'British SF PBs' by Harbottle and Holland, shows both the funkiness and glory of the mushroom jungle. One of my fave books under the wrong title... I like the way Ace worked 'Extra Man' in there, and suspect that Tubb was inspired by the original 1953 appearance of the title yarn of this PKD collection which has some similar themes...

img838.jpg

0mechmon.jpg

0varman.jpg

Nice books and thanks for the interesting info, Pat.  I'll be sure to read this one soon.

2 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Those Ace "D" doubles look to be nearly flawless!

Thanks for sharing the Ace "F" doubles. It looks like I have a few more titles to add to my want list! (thumbsu

Thanks.

My Ace Double D and F want list is pretty simple. I just need all but 12 of them.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:54 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

well I don't have a Fearn 'Black Lagoon' yet, but did just pick up this 1954 hardback

0twiam.jpg

That's a nice jacket illo. I'd love to re-acquire a copy of the Harlequin pb edition of "The Golden Amazon", alas it's tough to find a copy in any condition let alone like the one I had :(I'll keep looking though ...

20 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

glory of the mushroom jungle.

Now that i'm back home i'll post some of the glory. I never get tired of looking at these, or showing them. The Ron Turner covers on the Scion books are just glorious futuristic art deco fantasies and the Ray Theobald covers for Curtis Warren range from straight space opera to the hideously bizarre  "Humanoid Puppets"

20201030_170808.thumb.jpg.dc58f6832260dd3b988375b57968f9af.jpg

20201030_170831.thumb.jpg.09de6c54dc5f6c513d5107e1d09327f6.jpg