• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,091 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2023 at 11:40 PM, OtherEric said:

Some days, you just need to risk a little on a lot of books with a single bad photo.  The books are in low-to-mixed enough grade that it's not a total jackpot of a purchase,  but at just a hair over $4 a book I still feel like I got my money's worth.  (There were also copies of a couple Merrits I already had in the lot, one of which was an update for me.)

Several of these are on the upgrade cheap list, and in the case of "About the Murder of a Startled Lady" it's on the not even necessarily cheap upgrade list.  But still a nice addition to my overall run:

Murder Mystery Monthly 02.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 06.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 13.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 25.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 32.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 35.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 40.jpg

These are Ann Cantor covers, no?

On 4/21/2023 at 3:16 PM, Sarg said:

These are Ann Cantor covers, no?

Not sure, the only credited artists are on Mickey Finn and Postman, Mickey Finn credits Howard Simon and Postman credits Wm. Frost.  In both cases that may just mean interior artists.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:37 PM, OtherEric said:

Nice pickups!  I would call them more scarce than rare; they had a pretty solid print run.  Return of the King is more difficult than the other two.

Very roughly, Ace printed these without permission under the belief that copyright was never correctly established in the US.  They had a strong enough argument that the agreement reached with Tolkien was more or less "We will let these go out of print and not reprint them", rather than anything worse.  But they're the first paperback editions of the trilogy, and are therefore high demand among Tolkien fans and paperback fans.  The original print runs were relatively high, but just about every paperback collector eventually holds onto a set, as near as I can tell.

Thanks (thumbsu

On 4/22/2023 at 7:59 PM, Sarg said:

No mass market paperback is rare, but these are becoming uncommon in very fine condition. The original readers were not bibliophiles, so most existing copies found today are worn, wrinkled and damaged. 

Pretty spot on. And as OtherEric mentioned there's very high demand. Since I reassembled my set 2 years ago, i've been tracking and they're always available in mid grades, not too often in high grade but when they do prices have been strong to the upside.  That set looks VERY nice.

Edited by Surfing Alien

An odd question:  Is anybody aware of a good bookshelf for displaying paperbacks?  I'm starting to think I may be better off just getting some boards and building one myself than trying to find one, or I'm totally incompetent trying to figure out search terms.