• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,065 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 5:36 PM, Book Guy said:

Here's a First of WE CAN BUILD YOU. Later Printing  (at least some of them as I recall) have a number code. There is also a Canadian version according to my notes in the Levack Bibliography. Some of the later Bibliographies probably have more info, but I don't want to go to the trouble of digging them up. Currey's Bibliography says the First is what I'm showing you and later printings state 'First Printing' with a number code. The inscription is to PKD girlfriend Joan Simpson!

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9636.JPG

IMG_9637.JPG

IMG_9638.JPG

What an amazing copy!

I just wish sellers were more diligent listing exactly what copy they have, even if it has the right cover it's not necessarily a 1st.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:52 PM, Surfing Alien said:

IAnd finally a staggeringly gorgeous GGA  cover by Freeman Elliott. Elliott was a high end commercial artist who only stooped to do a few paperback covers that I know of but boy, when he did :cloud9:

20230414_184452.thumb.jpg.9da9c0112f138af69fdee444b02ebb20.jpg

I immediately went to ABE Books hoping to find a copy of this for sale. No such luck, but I did find a 2020 reprint. I had no idea that people were still repacking these old books in new covers. Alas, the great painted covers have long since been replaced by photographs. Yawn.

9781952138003-us.jpeg

On 4/14/2023 at 8:36 PM, Sarg said:

I immediately went to ABE Books hoping to find a copy of this for sale. No such luck, but I did find a 2020 reprint. I had no idea that people were still repacking these old books in new covers. Alas, the great painted covers have long since been replaced by photographs. Yawn.

9781952138003-us.jpeg

I agree, although it is good for "Pulp Fiction" in general, bringing new fans. That Dell First Edition is a rare little beast and well scooped up by quiet accumulators :takeit:

On 4/15/2023 at 12:40 AM, OtherEric said:

Some days, you just need to risk a little on a lot of books with a single bad photo.

Nice score! Some of my best pb scores have involved this strategy. I usually figure, "They're so cheap. What do I have to lose?" But man it's gotten a lot tougher lately :wavingwhiteflag:

Seems like everyone is looking for cheap classic vintage pbs lately :sorry:

Missed out on a box full of ‘40’s/‘50’s era PBs at the flea market yesterday. Walked up and the guy was negotiating for the whole box with the seller. All I could do was watch. Too bad because they were all the sexy girl crime covers. :sorry:He really scored!

Used to be I would run into stuff like this as well as old comics and pulps out in the wild. But times have changed. Most of this stuff has already been dug out of old houses and garages. There is still a little left but fewer and far between. 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Missed out on a box full of ‘40’s/‘50’s era PBs at the flea market yesterday. Walked up and the guy was negotiating for the whole box with the seller. All I could do was watch. Too bad because they were all the sexy girl crime covers. :sorry:He really scored!

Used to be I would run into stuff like this as well as old comics and pulps out in the wild. But times have changed. Most of this stuff has already been dug out of old houses and garages. There is still a little left but fewer and far between. 

There's still stuff out there. Local comic show yesterday, a dealer from out of state was cleaning house. I got a longbox of pulps and a shortbox of BLB's for $200 cash and $100 trade. Pulps were mostly readers, but I got two gorgeous Adventures, an Argosy with a Howard story, a Phantom Detective and some sweet condition SF pulps, mebbe ten out of sixty or so. They'll be making their debut this weekend at Windy City. The BLB's were kind of  toss-in, I'll know more today as I sort through them. 
Pix if I get the time.