• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

New pickups.  I’m now a confirmed paperback collector.  A couple of thoughts:  First, some of these paperbacks look absolutely amazing on mylar.   Second, I had no idea that Marihuana was such a thin book!  It’s constructed exactly like a comic book! That doesn’t really come across in the cover pictures.  Three:  I picked up a textbook like every good student should

A5D90EA0-7690-4817-9621-FB382D3A2661.jpeg

7C96009B-EDBC-4087-92B1-CA6E27F151E9.jpeg

Great start,

I recently read the Queen of the Black by Howard, and became a fan of his work. For some reason the 70's Conan comic books did not appeal that much to me. I also enjoyed the Schwarzenegger movies, but they did not really do justice to Howard's stories. But reading the actual stories did the trick. 

I would also recommend Warren's guide to paperbacks. It's pretty comprehensive at over 900 pages, and covers a vast array of publishers.

scan0008.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

Thank you!   I will check it out.  I’ve learned a long time ago that it is always a good idea to buy the book before you buy the collectible. But what if the collectible is a book? 🙂. Thumbing through my new coffee table book, I’m super excited about the prospect of collecting more stuff that moves me. There’s a lot more out there than I thought there was. 

Edited by Westy Steve

On 12/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, frozentundraguy said:

The recent thoughts on murder in progress books, makes me wonder if there is  also a subset of CSSC or crashed space ship covers.

There's a good chance that half the people in the country that would care about any of our subsets are right here in this thread, so we get to make the rules.  :banana:

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Some miscellaneous books from the 100's, and an early one from the "bullseye logo" era (I think "Iron Man" was the first to sport the classic logo)

Very nice selection, I think Avon hit their stride with the Triangle corner number look and really took off as far as art quality and composition in the Bullseye logo era

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Very nice selection, I think Avon hit their stride with the Triangle corner number look and really took off as far as art quality and composition in the Bullseye logo era

I agree. I still love the charm however of a few dozen of the first one hundred, especially the Paul Stahr covers like Five Murderers and Little Caesar from the first picture.  :cloud9: