• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WYTCHES - Scott Snyder & Jock

1,106 posts in this topic

I understand it is a tool for promotion to bring more readers in with the cover or how rare they are.
"Readers" aren't influenced by rare covers, speculators are. This is not a tactic to bring in new readers, it's a tactic to get speculators to buy multiples of the same thing.

It works though. Always has.

Not being a speculator, I purchase in the hope for stories I like. There are moments when the cover art catches my eye and I take a risk. Happened to me at Emerald City Comic Con this year. I never had an interest for The Sandman series. At the DC Booth The Sandman: Overture #1 3D cover looked tempting, and after having bought and read it, I'm planning to get all the volumes by the end of the year. Worked on me.

I do agree though that it does not pan out that way all the time.

Most people who buy a comic to read aren't going to pay 500% or more of the cover price we all complain about for a special edition 22 page comic to read from. How many RRP's are bought by readers? Blank covers? Not many. Variants might as well come pre-slabbed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that was something that had happened at some point with one comic or another.

I understand it is a tool for promotion to bring more readers in with the cover or how rare they are.
"Readers" aren't influenced by rare covers, speculators are. This is not a tactic to bring in new readers, it's a tactic to get speculators to buy multiples of the same thing.

It works though. Always has.

Not being a speculator, I purchase in the hope for stories I like. There are moments when the cover art catches my eye and I take a risk. Happened to me at Emerald City Comic Con this year. I never had an interest for The Sandman series. At the DC Booth The Sandman: Overture #1 3D cover looked tempting, and after having bought and read it, I'm planning to get all the volumes by the end of the year. Worked on me.

I do agree though that it does not pan out that way all the time.

Most people who buy a comic to read aren't going to pay 500% or more of the cover price we all complain about for a special edition 22 page comic to read from. How many RRP's are bought by readers? Blank covers? Not many. Variants might as well come pre-slabbed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that was something that had happened at some point with one comic or another.

To summarize and let it be: Yes, most people do not go for variants because of cost. However, sometimes a variant is at the same price of the regular. The point I made is that it CAN bring new readers. If variants are not to a person's liking, then simply go for the regular cover. There are people that invest, and there are those who just collect the hobby with no care for condition, rarity, etc. They just want a piece of it. At Fan Expo Dallas this year at the exclusives booth I grabbed a Batman bag. The woman in front of me, believe it or not, bought the Stan Lee sketch variant to The Amazing Spider-Man #1 not to collect, BUT to have her son entertained and to COLOR the cover. Cringe-worthy? For collectors, sure. For her, absolutely not. Video games come in collector's editions, and they cater to an established fan base or attempt to form a new one. Let people enjoy what they wish to enjoy, and the more people who enter a hobby the better I say.

This tweet by Jock (
) can be for either:

A). The cover art.

B). The number of covers.

C). Both.

I bet its C.

Im in for one copy to read.

Same here! Can't go wrong with both Scott Snyder and Jock.

Variant cover artists announced, with the first look at Francavilla's cover:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/10/scott-snyder-and-jocks-wytches-1-gets-exclusive-visits-from-cliff-chiang-becky-cloonan-francesco-francavilla-dustin-nguyen-sean-murphy-and-bill-sienkiewicz/

UPDATE: Chiang's cover revealed:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-cover-reveal-cliff-chiangs-wytches-1-var/1100-149793/

Edited by Ninja of Physics

Let people enjoy what they wish to enjoy, and the more people who enter a hobby the better I say.
My point is, I don't believe new people are entering the hobby. Not for variant covers, not this hobby. They're reading comics sure. In TPB, on their tablets. These are markets growing at a staggering rate, something like 40% per year, while the direct market floppy market is increasing by one or two percent per year, and almost none of that from within the "mainstream." You'll notice the difference in top sellers outside the direct market compared to within as well. People who aren't buying for the cover tend to go for a different product. Marvel and DC make up an easy eighty percent of the Diamond top 300 in floppies. They make up a combined twenty percent of the NYT bestsellers graphic novels. If not for the GOTG movie I'm betting it would be zero percent, since the only Marvel/DC comics in the NYT bestseller list is two GOTG trades. Edited by dupont2005

To summarize and let it be: Yes, most people do not go for variants because of cost. However, sometimes a variant is at the same price of the regular. The point I made is that it CAN bring new readers. If variants are not to a person's liking, then simply go for the regular cover. There are people that invest, and there are those who just collect the hobby with no care for condition, rarity, etc. They just want a piece of it. At Fan Expo Dallas this year at the exclusives booth I grabbed a Batman bag. The woman in front of me, believe it or not, bought the Stan Lee sketch variant to The Amazing Spider-Man #1 not to collect, BUT to have her son entertained and to COLOR the cover. Cringe-worthy? For collectors, sure. For her, absolutely not. Video games come in collector's editions, and they cater to an established fan base or attempt to form a new one. Let people enjoy what they wish to enjoy, and the more people who enter a hobby the better I say.

Who cares? One less high grade book on the market.

Something tells me this book will not be for everyone :insane:

Brutal And Horrifying: An Advance Review Of Scott Snyder And Jock’s ‘Wytches’ #1

http://comicsalliance.com/wytches-1-advance-review-scott-snyder-jock/?trackback=tsmclip

I was already eagerly awaiting this one and after reading that review, I'm doubly excited and anxious for 10/8 to get here already!

I'm assuming that since no stores have started preselling these variants that all of the variants are con exclusives? Anyone have details on where to get them?

Aside from the CBLDF which is obviously just to sell at cons and to member stores.

Not that I am aware of. I'm sure once the three remaining variants are revealed news will begin to spread on how to acquire them.