• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vault Grading?????????....huh?

857 posts in this topic

A little due diligence exposes this company and their testimonials for what they are.

Exactly, it took less than 5 minutes for the claims in those testimonials to be shown as spurious.

Honestly, they'd be better off trying to make their way on their own steam initially rather than immediately compare themselves to an established entity that's gained trust for well over a decade. The comments of "Vault's 9.4 would be a CGC 8.5" when the book that line is attached to is missing an entire corner just makes the company look bad.

One chance to make a first impression and all that.

:blahblah:

Back to the memes. :sumo:

We don't know this seller is an employee of the Vault company though, do we?

If it looks like a turd, and smells like a turd...

(:

So, do we?

Really, does it matter? Take away our jabs calling him "Mr. Vault," and everything else we have said stands on its own.

-slym

Hey!

I only called the Vault Shill who came on the boards "Mr. Vault" not the seller on Ebay.

lol

And, just coincidentally, the eBay seller is a known scammer.

In case you missed it.

alec-us2013

Poll.....

For the record - I am all for CGC having viable competition.

"Viable" being the key word here. PGX ain't it, and as comix4fun pointed out, Vault having come right out of the gate and taking huge swings at the established company isn't good. Having those swings be huge "whiffs" because of false claims of value v/s the competition, and comparing their grading to the competition when anyone can see a Vault book is overgraded by established standards (and here I mean Overstreet, not CGC) is asking for trouble.

-slym

+1

Competition in ANY market only benefits each company and pushes for better product, service, ect...

This isn't a case where its a legitimate start up. By stating they are better than an already established business, they are only piling on infamy instead of making their own fame.

Boils down to...... complete disaster, started by someone who is royally pissed at CGC

I don't think disparaging your competition is necessarily a sign of anything. Legitimate companies do it all the time (a more recent example would be Microsoft and Apple in TV ads. Pepsi and Coke are infamous for this type of advertising. I also remember the burger wars from a few years ago.) But, the amateur manner in which the Vault is doing that disparaging is definitely a strike against the company.

Unless they are just testing the market and their product/pricing right now and are therefore not ready for an influx of submissions, where is the advertisement? If they are just in the testing phase, having their first few products go out the door using the dealers they did is a horrible decision. Right off the bat, they set themselves up for ridicule (ala this thread.) the best way to do this would be to use a reputable dealer to get word out about the product and services.

You know, I would love to see competition for CGC, but it does look likely the Vault company is not going to be that competition.

I'm up to speed. I guess I can see why this thread has gone astray now. :sorry:

CGC are the laughing stock of the comic book community. The are a coin grading company that basically sucked and looked for other markets to make a few bucks in comics. They dont' care about comics, they know nothing about comics, and they certainly dont care about comic book collectors. Just look at the top panel and the case. The top panel has zero usable information. For example - what is the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.4? If you ask CGC they will say the 9.6 is for the guy who sent 100 comics to be graded an the 9.4 is for the guy who sent 20 comics to be graded (i.e. your YouTube videos man i saw the same ones and I could absolutely believe it.). CGC is a shameful horde of locusts who are only looking to suck comic collectors for cash. Thankfully they are falling out of favor. They charge outrageous membership fees and many of the cases they use are easy - incredibly easy to break open, cut the heat sealed bag, and replace the comic with a lower graded one. i've seen people at my local store do it. The plastic bag they heat seal the comic in likely damages the book due to the heat applied. Skip CGC.

They resurrected a 3 month old thread to just on CGC...

For those asking, couple of things.

1) The New York office is not an office. It is a condo. I know that area intimately.

2) Vault Valuation LLC is not a registered LLC in New York or California. I will take the time to check every state in the US (cause I have no life) but I am guessing that it is not a real LLC.

CGC are the laughing stock of the comic book community. The are a coin grading company that basically sucked and looked for other markets to make a few bucks in comics. They dont' care about comics, they know nothing about comics, and they certainly dont care about comic book collectors. Just look at the top panel and the case. The top panel has zero usable information. For example - what is the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.4? If you ask CGC they will say the 9.6 is for the guy who sent 100 comics to be graded an the 9.4 is for the guy who sent 20 comics to be graded (i.e. your YouTube videos man i saw the same ones and I could absolutely believe it.). CGC is a shameful horde of locusts who are only looking to suck comic collectors for cash. Thankfully they are falling out of favor. They charge outrageous membership fees and many of the cases they use are easy - incredibly easy to break open, cut the heat sealed bag, and replace the comic with a lower graded one. i've seen people at my local store do it. The plastic bag they heat seal the comic in likely damages the book due to the heat applied. Skip CGC.

What a *spoon*.

1) The New York office is not an office. It is a condo. I know that area intimately.

2) Vault Valuation LLC is not a registered LLC in New York or California. I will take the time to check every state in the US (cause I have no life) but I am guessing that it is not a real LLC.

:gossip: Nevada & Connecticut - close enough to CA & NY to be viable.

-slym

The very first post in that thread is the same type of bashing based on tiny errors and general insults backed up by nothing. Throw out some buzzwords. It may not have been resurrected for no reason...

Default Is CGC really a professional grading company?

Today, i watched some YouTube videos featuring CGC graded comics. One guy popped open the CGC shell and opened the comic only to find that CGC forgot to put microfiber paper on the first page. In another video, a guy had a Marvel Zombies related comic with a cover swipe of X-Men #137. He read the CGC label that said it was a cover swipe of X-Men #141, and didn't even catch the error. My question is, if the CGC "professionals" forget to put microfiber on the first page, and mislabel the details of a comic, how can anyone be assured that they didn't make a mistake when placing the grade number on the label? And how can we know they're spotting all the restoration touch ups and grading the comics to the best of their "professional" ability every time? I know that CGC has always been criticized, but now more than ever, i think their professionalism should be called into question, especially when people are giving them so much money to get their comics graded by them. It seems to me, lots of less knowledgeable collectors are buying into this shaky grading company and paying out a lot of money to get CGC's "professional" opinion of what the grades of their comics are. I think CGC is good for grades above 9.4. If someone has a flawless looking comic, then CGC can be trusted pretty much, since the higher the high grade, the less chance of error. But 9.4 and below, i don't really see the value of CGC's "professional" service.

comicart1 pimpin some Vault

Need Opinions on Grading

Hello -

Agree with the majority of the people on the site. Grading is a pretty sophisticated tool if used correctly. CGC is also not the company you want to use as they will charge you a wild amount for pretty simple stuff. You might get the walking dead graded because it is a key first appearance. As far as value increases due to grading it all depends on what you've invested in the comic. If you found a detective comics #27 for $50 cents, got it graded at a 6.5 it would not be a question. Your books are so new that although they will likely grade very high - the demand might not be there when you look to sell. There is a company (they are brand new) called Vault. they can give you an online quote for pretty cheap - $5 or $10 bucks. They helped me with some modern books and I use them all the time. They can even give you a sense of what the books sold for graded and raw over the past 12 months. Before you sink your cash into grading books to flip them I would get an estimate on what you can expect to sell them for. Probably be the best money you cans spend at this point man.

-slym

Good call. Not registered in Connecticut but they are in Nevada. Here is their info:

http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=MdPNrgHP6gCjJFsoBzFTKg%253d%253d&nt7=0

ummm... agreed but....

Certified Guaranty Company, LLC ("CGC") P.O. Box 4738, Sarasota, FL 34230

PGX P.O. Box 25005 Eugene, OR 97402

so kind of an industry norm....

Ummm...

CGC

5501 Communications Pkwy

Sarasota, FL 34240

Big Building - Lots of people.

... Not a condo.

ummm... agreed but....

Certified Guaranty Company, LLC ("CGC") P.O. Box 4738, Sarasota, FL 34230

PGX P.O. Box 25005 Eugene, OR 97402

so kind of an industry norm....

Are you comicart1? If so why are you on the CGC boards if you think their trash?

-slym

Good call. Not registered in Connecticut but they are in Nevada. Here is their info:

http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=MdPNrgHP6gCjJFsoBzFTKg%253d%253d&nt7=0

I have just found some basics between the two but it seems to be more beneficial to form an LLC in Nevada as opposed to California. Taxes etc.