• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vault Grading?????????....huh?

857 posts in this topic

Agreed :D

That's not actually too bad, IF they let you stand with the book at all times. I think it would be cool to see the process in action.

All you see is a waiting area. They don't allow you past the security door.

That's odd, they invited me right in and offered me a beverage and complimentary maxipad while I waited.

Fixed :baiting:

To soak up all the tears from the unlucky ones outside the velvet rope. :acclaim:

:applause:

Agreed :D

That's not actually too bad, IF they let you stand with the book at all times. I think it would be cool to see the process in action.

All you see is a waiting area. They don't allow you past the security door.

Need to get creative!

daily_gifdump_516_03.gif

I wonder if these same comments were rampant on the other comic message boards when CGC first came on the scene in 2000. hm

Coincidentally I was admiring an old blue label CGC of ASM 321 in 9.8 and noticed 2 things:

1. As many of you know, the company "CGC" used to be called the Comics Guaranty Company LLC (CGC) but changed their name somewhere along the way to Certified Guaranty Company (CGC). Why? Because they now do more than grade comics or got bought out? Of course what makes it more confusing is the holding company name is Certified Collectibles Company (CGC).

2. That old blue label 9.8 looks flawless. Better than any of the 100's of more recent 9.8's in my collection. It even looks better than some 9.9's I have. I really wish they would go back to strict grading.

Even if this company is sketchy and likely to fail, it addresses 2 things I wish CGC would:

1. put more descriptive text on the condition on it's labels -minus the adjectives "Extraordinary"

2. get rid of some of their conflicts of interests and close affiliations in the industry to become more impartial. (tsk)

I bid and was outbidded by someone with no feedback at all. Not going to go any higher than that. Thought maybe it was worth the risk since I have never owned this book...but not for that price lol

Your bid was the only legit one. There are 89 bids for the B.A. #12, and besides you're one bid, there are only three other bidders. All with 100% activity with this seller. And all with less than 10 feedback each. lol

"Shill-a-Mania" running wild, brother! :insane:

I bid and was outbidded by someone with no feedback at all. Not going to go any higher than that. Thought maybe it was worth the risk since I have never owned this book...but not for that price lol

Your bid was the only legit one. There are 89 bids for the B.A. #12, and besides you're one bid, there are only three other bidders. All with 100% activity with this seller. And all with less than 10 feedback each. lol

"Shill-a-Mania" running wild, brother! :insane:

How can you tell which was his?

:jokealert:

I wonder if these same comments were rampant on the other comic message boards when CGC first came on the scene in 2000. hm

Not to this extent, because CGC wasn't as stupid as these companies. CGC went to the dealers, asked their opinions, had them fill out surveys, etc., before they even thought about opening for business. It's not like these new companies who just open up one day, with no mention of who the staff even is, and say "we grade comics!"

Although CGC did get laughed at for wanting the Modern Age to be called "The Wizard Age". lol

1. As many of you know, the company "CGC" used to be called the Comics Guaranty Company LLC (CGC) but changed their name somewhere along the way to Certified Guaranty Company (CGC). Why? Because they now do more than grade comics or got bought out?

CGC has been slabbing photos pretty much since they opened. This was done as a favor for Jay Parrino so Jay would pay record amounts on slabbed books and help CGC become respectable.

Of course what makes it more confusing is the holding company name is Certified Collectibles Company (CGC).

That would be CCC, actually ;) CGC's parent company is Certified Collectibles Group, CCG.

you would think that to get your business started out the first thing you would do is slab a thousand really nice Key books and put them out there with a 99 cent start to get the brand in peoples hands ?

And not hide who you are ?

:)

you would think that to get your business started out the first thing you would do is slab a thousand really nice Key books and put them out there with a 99 cent start to get the brand in peoples hands ?

And not hide who you are ?

:)

Are you saying you want the slabbing company to sell their own slabbed comics?

I don't remember anyone posting patently false claims about how much a lower graded CGC would sell for over a higher graded book by "X".

Also, from the beginning, I remember CGC having a real street address, and people with actual names attached to them that were available and disclosed.

Good for them for bringing some competition to the grading industry. At the very least, they seem more reputable than PGX.

That's like thinking, "Hmm, I think I'll ride home with Ted Bundy. He seems more reputable than John Wayne Gacy."

Good for them for bringing some competition to the grading industry. At the very least, they seem more reputable than PGX.

The "very least" is probably accurate. I can't think of anything less.

I am going to hold of on the "good for them" until they disclose who they are and, maybe, have some kind of office address and not a PO box or condo building.