• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

Not an 'A' in my opinion, but PREACHER 53 page 08 had a nice finish on eBay tonight at $1309 (41 bids).

It's a nice enough image of eye-patch Jesse (How do people recognize him? Wolverine puts on an eye patch and becomes a completely unrecognizable and different character. But I digress) and a great half-splash from Dillon. 

But for me PREACHER is all about the Jesse/Tulip relationship (although Deputy Cindy is a much better catch. But I digress again). So, having the dialog on the page be solely about Arseface brings it down for me. If he had instead been thinking of Tulip, A+ page all the way.

3 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

Not an 'A' in my opinion, but PREACHER 53 page 08 had a nice finish on eBay tonight at $1309 (41 bids).

It's a nice enough image of eye-patch Jesse (How do people recognize him? Wolverine puts on an eye patch and becomes a completely unrecognizable and different character. But I digress) and a great half-splash from Dillon. 

But for me PREACHER is all about the Jesse/Tulip relationship (although Deputy Cindy is a much better catch. But I digress again). So, having the dialog on the page be solely about Arseface brings it down for me. If he had instead been thinking of Tulip, A+ page all the way.

Did you end up bidding and or winning it?

30 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I bid just to watch it, but during the course of this auction I was offered another page (dare I say "BETTER") and went with the PM page.  The page that was offered to me is the page before another that i have, so it makes it that much nicer. 

Looking forward to seeing it!

REALLY shocked that BOTH of the issue 49 pages went higher than the issue 6 page in tonight's CLink auctions.    C'mon, Tulip is driving away from Jesse with

Spoiler

the "Reaver Cleaver"

I thought as far as PREACHER was concerned there was a "sub-issue 11 tax/premium"  I guess not (shrug)

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 8.49.10 PM.png

I was kind of surprise at the price of this page...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-dillon-preacher-45-page-18-original-art-dc-vertigo-1999-/a/7163-94503.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Thought it would go higher. I liked it but was away on vacation when it closed so didn't bid.

46 minutes ago, artistlost said:

Those are some strong prices

It looks like some of the more "common" or C quality pages have been rising in price but some of the better examples don't seem to command much more of a premium.  So pages trade hands in a narrower range.  A "C" page with Jesse will cost you $1000.  An "A-" or "B+" page from the same issue might cost you $1600.  Usually that kind of difference in quality has a much bigger difference in price.  For Example, you can get a "C" page from Walking Dead for $500-750.  However, if you want a "B+" to "A-" page, it might set you back about 2k.

1 minute ago, artistlost said:

I was kind of surprise at the price of this page...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-dillon-preacher-45-page-18-original-art-dc-vertigo-1999-/a/7163-94503.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Thought it would go higher. I liked it but was away on vacation when it closed so didn't bid.

Yes, that is a good example of what I was trying to say in my previous post.  This page is far better than the one that sold on clink for $1300 in my opinion.  Yet, there appears to be a ceiling on Preacher pages.  It is tough to get past 2k on most of the pages. 

On 6/7/2017 at 7:04 AM, Claudio said:

Yes, that is a good example of what I was trying to say in my previous post.  This page is far better than the one that sold on clink for $1300 in my opinion.  Yet, there appears to be a ceiling on Preacher pages.  It is tough to get past 2k on most of the pages. 

Yes, there should be a wider spread. Either A pages are undervalued, or B/C pages are overvalued. I'd say the latter. Also, buyers either don't know, or can't tell, the difference.

....which brings us back to the original question of the thread: "What makes an A-Level Preacher page?"

The one in HA had great imagery, but little-to-no dialogue/writing on it, so it wouldn't make the "A" cut for me personally.

I think $1,000-$1,300 for average pages with Jesse on them sounds about right these days.

The buyer got this page for a decent price. I'm thinking this one slipped under the radar. 
 Has one shot of Jesse, but certainly not going to check the box in someone's collection for a "nice Jesse page."

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 7.16.05 PM.png

Edited by mister_not_so_nice

On 7/1/2017 at 7:20 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

The buyer got this page for a decent price. I'm thinking this one slipped under the radar. 
 Has one shot of Jesse, but certainly not going to check the box in someone's collection for a "nice Jesse page."

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 7.16.05 PM.png

It might if it's someone's only Jesse page. And think of the value when Bob the Sexual Investigator gets his own Netflix series.

30 minutes ago, Nexus said:

An "A" page for sure.  Maybe the original question for this thread will finally get answered :golfclap:

The page before this one was the first OA page I ever purchased. :whistle: