• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

How does having the Word on a page affect value? It didn't occur that often in the story iirc

It would add value. I think there are enough people who want a "word" page. For me, there are other more desirable qualities though.

Here's one I won from Heritage a couple of years ago. Cursing, comedy, the word and the hero being heroic.

Moreso, I love the editorial notes (two places) instructing the letterer to make sure a certain expletive is written out on one line. It's the kind of not-published gem that makes OA special.

An "A" page? For me it is.

preacher.jpg

It's all subjective and a matter of opinion to what "A level" is, in the eye of the beholder.

Typically A Level would be:

1) A Cover page

2) A Double Page Splash page

3) A Splash Page

4) Feature a 1st appearance of a recurring character

5) Feature one or more of the main characters

6) Be a part of an important storyline, be it a turning point, death, revelation, etc.

...and for others the "A-Level" might be influenced by price, if getting a piece at a bargain, or the less collected "dialogue" factor.

It's all subjective and a matter of opinion to what "A level" is, in the eye of the beholder.

1) A Cover page

3) A Splash Page

6) Be a part of an important storyline, be it a turning point, death, revelation, etc.

...and for others the "A-Level" might be influenced by price, if getting a piece at a bargain, or the less collected "dialogue" factor.

This was a spinoff to an earlier thread regarding general pricing for "A-Level panel pages" from various series. In many cases a first appearance page might be considered A+, depending of course on the character and how good the page was.

Of course it's my own personal preference, but to me, an A+ preacher page is full of Garth Ennis dialogue. Full splash pages with a word or 2 wouldn't do anything for me. Same for an Alan Moore scripted page, I want his ideas/thoughts on paper. If I was chasing a McFarlane page, I'd want less dialogue and more art.

1) A Cover page

3) A Splash Page

You have to change the criteria for art that's collected almost entirely because of the book's story. Your list is perfect for categorizing big-name-artist superhero pages, but not a book like Preacher IMO.

Thoughts on this page. New addition to my collection...

It's got a nice big Jesse and Jodi, swearing, violence, part of a key story line, Tulip, the coffin and the final text about the fate of Bob...

Maybe a B+ page? or A-?

link

It's got a nice big Jesse and Jodi, swearing, violence, part of a key story line, Tulip, the coffin and the final text about the fate of Bob...

Maybe a B+ page? or A-?

link

I'd say that's definitely an A to me. Got a great shot of Jessie and Tuilp and the torturous unbelievable scumbag of Jody giving poor Jessie the info on the fate of his friend. Man I hated Jody and TC so much in that comic. So well written.

Maybe a B+ page? or A-?

link

This storyline was when Preacher went from crazy, fun, and entertaining to HOLY (%*^$#, I NEED TO READ THE NEXT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!

Question:

Is the Preacher TV show doing well:

a) general population (non-comic fan) popularity

b) fanboy feedback on if it's living up to expectations

c) critical review of if it's getting the ratings and if the network is happy with the series viewership

AND

Is now a good time to sell mid-level Preacher original art pages, off of the hype, or have we not yet seen it near pinnacle and holding onto 'em may be a smarter play for the long term?

I have pages that only feature Tulip and Amy, and unfortunately or fortunately, it's a sequential series of pages that is a full scene spread across 4 pages, so in one breath I'd hate to sell only one, and in another breath, I don't want to sell them all either, nor if I did do a sale, I get a sense that whenever you lot a series of pages as opposed to break them apart with individual solicitations, the lots usually command lower price per pg averages and the single sale offerings do the best.

I have Preacher #52 pages 12-15, and thought the valuation was about $1k per page +/-.

Personally from what I have seen there isn't really a strong uptake in the TV show amongst the non comic fans I know. Also there are a lot of great shows already out there which means that people simply might not have the time to squeeze another one into their schedule unless it's really really good. It's probably going to be a little longer before any serious judgement can be passed on that.

It's certainly not a bad time to sell. Plenty of fans buying up what they can from that era. TV has given the art a little push, there was certainly a bit of a rush on it when people got wind of the show, but I think the book does a great job of standing up on its own without a show which is what really keeps prices healthy amongst collectors.

Question:

Is the Preacher TV show doing well:

a) general population (non-comic fan) popularity

b) fanboy feedback on if it's living up to expectations

c) critical review of if it's getting the ratings and if the network is happy with the series viewership

AND

Is now a good time to sell mid-level Preacher original art pages, off of the hype, or have we not yet seen it near pinnacle and holding onto 'em may be a smarter play for the long term?

I have pages that only feature Tulip and Amy, and unfortunately or fortunately, it's a sequential series of pages that is a full scene spread across 4 pages, so in one breath I'd hate to sell only one, and in another breath, I don't want to sell them all either, nor if I did do a sale, I get a sense that whenever you lot a series of pages as opposed to break them apart with individual solicitations, the lots usually command lower price per pg averages and the single sale offerings do the best.

I have Preacher #52 pages 12-15, and thought the valuation was about $1k per page +/-.

In the spirit of this thread, I have to recommend that you sell 'em all and upgrade to an A-Level Preacher page.

$1K each might be a little aggressive for Tulip-only pages - Albert still had some pages from the Tulip issue at the Original Art con back in April in the $600 range (and I'd have to think Preacher was a little hotter back then before the show received a very mixed reaction).