• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2021 at 9:03 PM, KCOComics said:

That feels a bit high to me.  Possibly in line for a NM copy (I was never allowed to swim at that end of the pool). 

In the early 2000s you could still find really beautiful mid grade copies for under $5k.  

Agreed.  In fact, in the early 90s, Spiderman 1 and AF 15 went for around the same price which was between $3k and $5k for a "NM" copy (grading varied widely then, just like today).  I left the hobby in the mid-90s and came back around 5 years later and was shocked to see a CGC VG 4.0 of AF15 was selling for $3k, the same price that a NM copy would have gone for 10 years earlier.  2c

Little did I know that one of the best moves I could have made was to buy that VG AF 15...

On 7/17/2021 at 8:32 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I only take my heavy hitters to when CGC or CBCS is on site doing their grading.  Pick them up same weekend

Yup this is why I try to do con drop offs in Canada wish we had on-site grading in Canada 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, skyline23 said:

Here is my entrance into the club, I just got this today in the mail :)  I know some people prefer their silver age keys to be free of any signature, but I personally think with a lower grade, well-presenting copy like this (in my humble opinion. with lower grades beauty is in the eye of the beholder), with decent signature placement as well, (albeit not the prettiest Stan Lee signature I've ever seen),   it makes the book even more special. 

1812407714_Screenshot2021-07-215_46_44PM.thumb.png.b615c72c0a7e8679f9bfd418abde26ca.png

Damn nice copy I would prefer personally a Stan sig on this book and asm1

On 7/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, Subby1938 said:

In 2008 my LCS in Canada had CGC 4.0 blue label for 4K Canadian and I said it was too much ……..doh!!!!!

The three I posted above cost me a grand total of $17K Canadian    (purchased from 2008-2010 and Canadian dollar was pretty close to being on par with USD)  .....  so yeah, so glad I pulled the trigger when I did. I did think at the time that the prices were nuts, guess I did alright as it stands today. 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:26 PM, fishbone said:

The three I posted above cost me a grand total of $17K Canadian    (purchased from 2008-2010 and Canadian dollar was pretty close to being on par with USD)  .....  so yeah, so glad I pulled the trigger when I did. I did think at the time that the prices were nuts, guess I did alright as it stands today. 

The true “blue chip” books (AF15, FF1, AV4, Hulk 1/181, etc)  have always worked out if you are willing to hold for 5+ years.  
I bought my AF15 in 2013 for what would have been (at that time) Top GPA.  I still have it.  Looks really good today.  Even if prices drop from current numbers (I don’t think they will), it still looks good.

Anybody have a guess as to what a restored Extensive Professional copy would go for these days? I know it's so hard to tell what restored copies are worth when they have to be taken into account individually depending on the work done to the book. I'm trying to get a ballpark range on this copy for insurance purposes:

51341034142_b3c85a8804_b.jpg

On 7/28/2021 at 1:31 PM, fishbone said:

Wow .................................. :whatthe:

is that good? I can't keep up and follow along. Too many sales. I'm trusting you guys for my opinion. 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:28 PM, Illustrious said:

Anybody have a guess as to what a restored Extensive Professional copy would go for these days? I know it's so hard to tell what restored copies are worth when they have to be taken into account individually depending on the work done to the book. I'm trying to get a ballpark range on this copy for insurance purposes:

51341034142_b3c85a8804_b.jpg

These situations are hard to tell because all restoration isn't equal. 

This is extensive professional with a married page. If I had to guess, I would probably say the $7k - $10k ball park.

With how fast this book is moving, I could be way off, but usually extensive resto is pretty big ding, then add in the married page. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 7/28/2021 at 10:09 PM, NoMan said:

is that good? I can't keep up and follow along. Too many sales. I'm trusting you guys for my opinion. 

New highs for those grades the 4.0 grade.  Higher than last 6.0 sale recorded by GPA (but below April 2021 record of $96k).   Trend remains upward.

Edited by OuterboroGuy
Factual correction

On 7/29/2021 at 6:22 AM, OuterboroGuy said:

New highs for those grades the 4.0 grade.  Higher than last 6.0 sale recorded by GPA (but below April 2021 record of $96k).   Trend remains upward.

Thanks

Interesting no reserve auction sale for a restored 9.4 I didn't know sold recently. Went for about 7.5% of what the last unrestored 9.4 sold for, which I believe was $700K.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 8.33.10 AM.png

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Interesting no reserve auction sale for a restored 9.4 I didn't know sold recently. Went for about 7.5% of what the last unrestored 9.4 sold for, which I believe was $700K.

I can't read the label. What was the extent of the resto? 

It isn't a totally shocking result to me. Restored AF15 have always been heavily discounted over their Blue label peers. The higher the grade,  the steeper the discount. 

I would have been more surprised if this book went for 6 figures. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:53 AM, KCOComics said:

I can't read the label. What was the extent of the resto? 

It isn't a totally shocking result to me. Restored AF15 have always been heavily discounted over their Blue label peers. The higher the grade,  the steeper the discount. 

I would have been more surprised if this book went for 6 figures. 

So the resto was "Extensive P" with pieces replaced, color touch, tear seals and cleaned. Then it also says trimmed right below. I'd say the trimming and cleaning did the most damage. Take those away, and it very well may break or at least get much closer to $100K. But yeah, definitely massive discounts for restored and especially heavily restored books. And I was wrong, the unrestored 9.4 sold for $800K. So this sale was closer to about 6%-6.5% of the unrestored sale.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

So the resto was "Extensive P" with pieces replaced, color touch, tear seals and cleaned. Then it also says trimmed right below. I'd say the trimming and cleaning did the most damage. Take those away, and it very well may break or at least get much closer to $100K. But yeah, definitely massive discounts for restored and especially heavily restored books.

That makes sense. That's an awful lot of work! 

On 8/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

So the resto was "Extensive P" with pieces replaced, color touch, tear seals and cleaned. Then it also says trimmed right below. I'd say the trimming and cleaning did the most damage. Take those away, and it very well may break or at least get much closer to $100K. But yeah, definitely massive discounts for restored and especially heavily restored books. And I was wrong, the unrestored 9.4 sold for $800K. So this sale was closer to about 6%-6.5% of the unrestored sale.

Golden Age mega-keys can go for much closer (25-30%) to unrestored blue prices .... AF15's blues  grow on trees, so thus low  hammers on restored

On 8/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I'm guessing this comic was probably only in the 3.5 range before resto so $50,000 seems about right.  

What if it was only a 1.0 originally before resto?  Yikes I wouldn't want to pay that much for it.